• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Did I not make it clear that it was obviously a straw purchase? I give up. When I was working with my F.I.L. , when he had his FFL, we turned away more than a few customers who did what this "couple " did.
    And we wonder how the thugs get the guns. Part of the problem is that some dealers are more interested in money than doing what they are suppose to. Golly, I didn't realize the person that selected, played with the weapon, had the money but didn't fill out the paperwork might not be doing a straw purchase.

Bob

First, what you describe may be entirely innocent. The girl may have wanted to purchase her first gun (or a different style than she had handled before) and asked her husband/boy friend / experienced shooter etc. to aid her in choosing a firearm. Second, I have been around for 73 years and can 100% assure you no Criminal would find it necessary to purchase a firearm in such a manner. As I have stated before, I have viewed many firearm transactions conducted in bars etc. Criminals can obtain their firearms from other felons for cash, steal them from legal gun owners, trade drugs for guns etc. The only people that are prevented from obtaining firearms due to the laws are mostly (in my opinion 99+%) are people that try to follow the law. As criminals do not follow the law they actually can obtain a firearm easier than people like you and I. I certainly don't feel it is my duty or obligation to insure other sellers / buyers are following the "law". There are plenty of BATF agents and others monitoring the sale and transfer of firearms. That said I am extremely careful that I follow the letter of the law when I obtain, gift or dispose of a firearm.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    When I say 'IMO', which means 'in my opinion', I can word it any way I want. I said exactly what I meant. The quotes were to show that I knew that a question on a 4473 was not really a law.

Sure, you can word it any way you want, but you can't deflect criticism of what you are claiming by adding the caveat "IMO."

I've never heard someone claim that 18 USC 922 isn't a law before now.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Sure, you can word it any way you want, but you can't deflect criticism of what you are claiming by adding the caveat "IMO."

I was not referencing 18 USC 922 because as a gun shop customer, 4473 question 12a is what I would come in contact with, not 18 USC 922 (6).

I can't believe we're arguing semantics when we are (presumably) on the same side of the argument.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    I was not referencing 18 USC 922 because as a gun shop customer, 4473 question 12a is what I would come in contact with, not 18 USC 922 (6).

That's what makes your "opinion" incorrect. Now you know there's an actual law that prohibits straw purchases, not just a "law" on the 4473.

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    Don't other peoples' wives/girlfriends buy stuff with their money, then force them to carry the crap they bought? I would just assume this is a honey-do type of thing.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    If my wife and I go in to our LGS and look at, rent, shoot, fondle, decide on and buy a gun. We're both going to shoot it. It will be in our home...stored away safely where she and I will both have access to it. We're obviously married...neither one of us are felons. It's already pre-determined who carries, uses, spends the money etc when we're out shopping. Let me ask you this...Does it really f'n matter if it's my wife or me who sits down and fills out the 4473?

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Guess all those buying youth model guns are in big trouble..............

I bet there is a legal difference between buying a gun for somebody who can't legally own one, and buying one for somebody of close family ties as a gift.

Probably in the latter the gifter (by checking the appropriate box on the 4473) assumes full responsibility in vouching for the recipient's legal character.

Not a mall cop or lawyer, so really don't give a flyin' flip what other people do..................well maybe not.
    Does kinda peeve me when some folks can't mind their own dayam business.

Last edited:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    If my wife and I go in to our LGS and look at, rent, shoot, fondle, decide on and buy a gun. We're both going to shoot it. It will be in our home...stored away safely where she and I will both have access to it. We're obviously married...neither one of us are felons. It's already pre-determined who carries, uses, spends the money etc when we're out shopping. Let me ask you this...Does it really f'n matter if it's my wife or me who sits down and fills out the 4473?

It matters to da law is da law crowd.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis

As the Supreme Court of the United States is currently debating whether or not straw purchases actually violate the law, I wouldn't get to carried away with your ideas of what 18 USC 922 actually means.

They didn't grant Cert for the fun of it.

Supreme Court hears gun 'straw purchase' case involving ex-Roanoke officer - Roanoke Times: News

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Did you watch the complete transaction or just a few moments of it? Did she fill out the form then have him sign it? Maybe her handwriting is better than his. I've never seen where the signing person had to fill out the form. Lots of ASSumption, IMHO.
    Dan

Top Bottom