• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    Finding an old house in the middle of the woods is always kinda creepy. I found one when I was a kid that had no driveway or nearby road. That spooky silence was deafening.

fro65

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    South of Ft. Wayne
    In the early 70's my grandad and I were mushroom hunting in his woods in Henry county. In the middle of the woods, I saw what appeared to be a pipe sticking horizontaly out of a big hickory tree about six feet above the ground. When we got closer, we could see it was protruding from both sides and the tree had grown around it instead of it going through the tree. We finally realized it was an old muzzleloader barrel with the breech plug still in it. It appeared someone once rested the gun in a crotch and left it there for some reason. Over time, the tree claimed it. We dug around the base of the tree looking for any other parts. Found a couple pieces of steel or iron but they were unrecognizable. I still think about that barrel. It's one of those things you wish could talk.

mdmayo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    Madison County
    Not so weird, but startling:
    Went fishing one rainy sunday morning near Brazil at an abandoned pit with my cousin. Very peaceful, quiet save for the occasional bass rolling the surface and the popping of bluegills nabbing the morning hatch. All of the sudden, shattering the silence, two Indiana Air Reserve A-10's dropped screaming in over the tree line behind us not 50 feet off the deck, sending us both flying face first into the water in abject terror. It was hella cool, but I swear the water rippled from the jet wash.

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    This one is kind of in the woods.

Sometime last year I was in western Kentucky on a lake formed by a strip mine. I was bowfishing so I have eight 50 watt LED lights shining into the water to see carp and such. I don't run a generator - just have them on 24V battery so it's nearly silent.

We're just using the trolling motor along the shore when a huge owl just jumped into the water from a tree hanging over the lake. It didn't grab a fish or anything, just jumped in, spread its wings out really wide and used them sort of as paddles to swim on top of the water back to the shore.

I didn't even know owls could swim.

mik1202002

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Feb 12, 2009
    Greencastle
    I'll share one I was cutting a sassafras tree at parents place last year. As it starts to fall from about 15 feet up I see a Ricky the raccoon exiting the tree. He jumped from about ten feet up and hit the ground running. It shocked the heck out of me, to top it all of this raccoon was huge. I'd say 25-30 lbs. Maybe that's not to big, but the biggest one I've ever seen.

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    When I was younger mom always let me skip one day of school for mushroom hunting with her. The last time we went I was lucky enoght to find a hunters arrow I used to flip leaves. Got bored fairly quick and only found a sock with a turd under it that day.

Scoe3202

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2013
    I grew up in Greenwood just south of Indianapolis, in the woods near the northwest annex on Fry road there was a small graveyard of roughly 40 headstones dating back pre-civil war times some of babies some of old folks, rumored that some kids had been up there digging up graves and pulling the skulls of the bodies out of the graves. All of the grave spots were sunken in from the wooden caskets rotting. Very weird and creepy after dark when you are like 10 or 11.

Bucky623

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    A friend and I were hunting in Fulton County back in the 1980’s and came across a dozen or so skinned carcasses in a pile. They were all complete except the fur and feet. We weren’t sure what they were until we found a carcasses with a foot still on it. It had pads and a small amount of white fur with a few strands of black next to one of the pads.

Cruella De Vil :dunno:

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Imagine a medium-sized buck, probably about a 130 eight pointer, meandering along into range, crossing your lanes. He's strongly upwind, not crossing your in-trail, you are clean, still, and silent, and he's unaware of you in every observable way.

As he crosses lanes in toward 20 yards, for no apparent reason, he starts showing signs of caution, yet you have not moved anything but your eyes, and you know the wind well enough here that no deer ever smells you from that direction. You are confident and unconcerned, as this setup has worked well before, and he's never indicated that he'd honed in on any exact threat area.

You calmly draw the bow as he steps behind a very large white oak, and ready for the release of a shot down the open lane when he steps out the other side...

...but he never takes the step.

In NEITHER direction does that buck deer ever show a hair again, and that is the last time you ever see him.

That was a learning moment.

-Nate

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    IM thinking of going camping in my woods alone here soon. Im not much of a camper but ive always been in the woods so im not terribly worried about it. Im somewhat of a night owl so ill probably end up just sitting around a fire all night because im sure any noise will put me at alert.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Also, a question:

What is it about headstones that makes the living so fearful?

If anybody lives long enough, they will get to die, and that's a fact. If you were worth something in this life, then somebody that cared about you will maybe put up a monument of some form where you are buried to remember you and mark your last physical location. In this country, these markers are most often stone, and since this has been going on for centuries, it is no surprise that occasionally some singles or groups of burials get lost to the woods and fields due to the sands of time, literally or figuratively.

When you stumble across one or more, do not desecrate the stones, move them, lick them, shoot them, sit on them, or otherwise interact with them in any way unless you went there with the actual purpose of resetting the stones and preserving the site, or you were going there to pay your respects to ascendants of your own. For some other humans sometime in the past, that lichen-covered piece of sandstone represented a lifetime of memories and a pile of grief for the person buried under it, and you should remember that, since most of us have also lost somebody that mattered.

Death is no more or less scary now than it was then, but remember that once, there was a real service with real tears for a real person in a real casket, just like you've attended in modern times. The removal of the smell of freshly cut dirt, the distance of a hundred years or more, and the abstraction of a cleanly engraved stone on level ground should not serve to remove your respect.

Basically, I'd ask that you do whatever you think is necessary for your beliefs or faith, if you have any, and then quietly go on about the rest of your day living the life you have until you get your own stone.

-Nate

Last edited:

10mmMarc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 16, 2015
    Greenwood
    I bought a small wooded area a couple years back, when scouting it out I found 2 skeletons side by side , they appeared to be small deer, I have never seen two spaced perfectly laying on the same side like that , makes me wonder what and how ?

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I found a weather balloon (deflated) with it's instrument package that had a Gov't plaque on it and requested that it be dropped off at any post office with info on where it was found but I had to go to 3 different Post offices before someone would take it. they didn't know what it was so they wouldn't take it.

Watched an Eagle attack and kill a mallard duck on a WPA pond north of lake monroe

Watched a fox kill a ground hog and chew it into 2 pieces and go hide the pieces

Watched a Buck Violate a doe

got 2 does fighting with a grunt call in early season bow once

watched a trio of coyotes surround and attack a turkey decoy

a life size doll of a little girl who had been shot with a shotgun. scared the heck out of me that I was finding a 3-4 year old girl dead in the woods

Top Bottom