• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sb0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Aug 1, 2013
    Indy
    To make a long story short, I'm in the process of moving, but I'm going down to DC for a month before I move into my new place. Bringing guns down there is a non-starter, so I'm hoping I can just find a place up here to leave them until I come back. My problem with the self storage facilities I've looked at is a. security and b. no firearms policies.

Any suggestions?

Edit - I am in Indianapolis BTW.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    This is going to be a long list of "free storage" volunteers. People are going to be jumping up and down for you to use their home safe. But I offer something extra: ammo disposal! Are you tearing your hair out not knowing what to do with the 10,000 rounds of .22LR? Why, leave them to me! Trouble no more!

sb0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Aug 1, 2013
    Indy
    This is going to be a long list of "free storage" volunteers. People are going to be jumping up and down for you to use their home safe. But I offer something extra: ammo disposal! Are you tearing your hair out not knowing what to do with the 10,000 rounds of .22LR? Why, leave them to me! Trouble no more!

Well that sounds pretty tempting, but I just don't know...

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    There are indoor units that are temperature controlled, but I'd still be concerned about anti-gun policies. I know at least one U-Haul place that has that setup locally.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Storage units:

What they don't know won't hurt you.

Unless, of course, your unit burns / floods / etc then THEIR insurance won't cover anything. (honestly not sure how the unit's owner's insurance works)

But there is a possibility that YOUR renter's insurance / homeowner's insurance MAY cover your firearms against theft / disaster damage while in a storage unit. Again - not sure. Wouldn't surprise me if there wouldn't be a clause against paying a claim if you store something against the Storage Unit's permission / rules.

So - next avenue: Family? Good close friends?

-J-

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    You can get Firearms Insurance through NRA, it's called Arms Care. Before I stored them anywhere I would be sure their insured. I wouldn't store mine at any You Store It type facility. I'm with Tyler on checking with the LGS offer them $100.00 for the month that's cheap for peace of mind. Maybe one of them will chime in. Good Luck in D.C. :patriot:

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    To make a long story short, I'm in the process of moving, but I'm going down to DC for a month before I move into my new place. Bringing guns down there is a non-starter, so I'm hoping I can just find a place up here to leave them until I come back. My problem with the self storage facilities I've looked at is a. security and b. no firearms policies.

Any suggestions?

I've stored a couple rifles at a U-Stor Facility on Southport/Emerson Ave. in the past since I don't have a long gun safe. The units are individually alarmed and jiggling the handle sets off a very loud siren. The property managment lives on site and there is always someone there. The property manager said firearms are fine as long as they are not loaded. $40/month for a 5'x10' or they have one size smaller i believe.

metaldog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Indy
    I'd be afraid of how well temperature controlled one of those units is.

OP...

Whatever you decide, I beg of you, DO NOT use a storage facility (this includes P.O.D.S.). My father moved to Florida for 3 years to help my grandmother re-establish herself after grand-dad passed. Grandmother was firm with him, NO guns in my house.
    Long story short... I offered to store them for him, but he chose an indoor temp-controlled unit, anyway. When he moved back to Indy, nearly all of his firearms had rusted (some were collector items too).:(
    We had a house fire a few years ago & were displaced for 6 months while house was rebuilt. The landlord of our rental (during construction) was against more than 3 firearms in his house. And don't get me started on how the insurance company wanted to store my weapons. I was ADAMANT with them being taken well care of. I was able to form a contract agreement with my gunsmith to store them for me (cleaning fees and storage paid by insurance company).
    So, moral of the story... Strike a written agreement with someone you HIGHLY TRUST, or a gunsmith, or a gun shop. Also, the latter 2 may be able to give recommendations.

Best wishes & good luck!:)

Drakkule

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Butler,IN. 46721
    OP...

Whatever you decide, I beg of you, DO NOT use a storage facility (this includes P.O.D.S.). My father moved to Florida for 3 years to help my grandmother re-establish herself after grand-dad passed. Grandmother was firm with him, NO guns in my house.
    Long story short... I offered to store them for him, but he chose an indoor temp-controlled unit, anyway. When he moved back to Indy, nearly all of his firearms had rusted (some were collector items too).:(
    We had a house fire a few years ago & were displaced for 6 months while house was rebuilt. The landlord of our rental (during construction) was against more than 3 firearms in his house. And don't get me started on how the insurance company wanted to store my weapons. I was ADAMANT with them being taken well care of. I was able to form a contract agreement with my gunsmith to store them for me (cleaning fees and storage paid by insurance company).
    So, moral of the story... Strike a written agreement with someone you HIGHLY TRUST, or a gunsmith, or a gun shop. Also, the latter 2 may be able to give recommendations.

Best wishes & good luck!:)

This is a very good idea.

richardraw316

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    I've stored a couple rifles at a U-Stor Facility on Southport/Emerson Ave. in the past since I don't have a long gun safe. The units are individually alarmed and jiggling the handle sets off a very loud siren. The property managment lives on site and there is always someone there. The property manager said firearms are fine as long as they are not loaded. $40/month for a 5'x10' or they have one size smaller i believe.
    please do not store firearms at ustor. any of them. they are not climate controlled. your guns will rust.
    if your alarm went off from jiggling the handle, then it was defective.
    5x10 is the smallest unit.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Guns can be oiled and stored properly and they will not rust. Guns are stored under ground and don't rust. Guns are stored in Pelican cases and shipped all over the world and don't rust. The rusting thing can be controlled. The no gun thing at the storage place is an other problem. Just a heads up on the insurance, it will cost you more than a place to store them. Last time I checked it was $10 on the hundred. That wasn't with the NRA, I have no idea what they charge.

AWDIP55

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Lock them in a metal container and make sure its a franchise storage company with indoor climate controled storage. Remember you get what you pay for!!!

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    please do not store firearms at ustor. any of them. they are not climate controlled. your guns will rust.
    if your alarm went off from jiggling the handle, then it was defective.
    5x10 is the smallest unit.

Do you guys just toss your guns in the storage unit or what? I've never had a problem with rust. I properly oil my long guns for storage and keep them in cases The whole complex must be defective then.

richardraw316

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    Do you guys just toss your guns in the storage unit or what? I've never had a problem with rust. I properly oil my long guns for storage and keep them in cases The whole complex must be defective then.
    First I was not a customer of theirs. I was the manager for two years. If you are still storing your stuff there, tell Mike I said hi. The tempature goes up and down very rapidly inside the units, which causes condensation on metal. So unless you pack the deep in Cosmo, don't store guns at this facility for longer than a month or two. They do not offer insurance. So if your stuff is destroyed it is on you.
    as for the alarms they only go off when the door is opened. If yours is going off for any other reason, the door sensors maybe misaligned and need fixed. I am 100% sure the entire complex does not do this. I have ran that facility for few days while mikes wife was in the hospital. Everything worked as it should.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi

Any suggestions?

Self-storage units are INSECURE. Just look at one:

1) Sheet metal door can be cut with tin snips.
    2) Cheap stamped-metal locking mechanism can be cut with a hacksaw.
    3) Walls are usually just drywall so access from an adjacent unit is easy.
    4) In most cases you can get into the "attic" from any unit and get to any other unit.

I would NOT store valuables in one. How about a trusted friend or responsible relative?

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    First I was not a customer of theirs. I was the manager for two years. If you are still storing your stuff there, tell Mike I said hi. The tempature goes up and down very rapidly inside the units, which causes condensation on metal. So unless you pack the deep in Cosmo, don't store guns at this facility for longer than a month or two. They do not offer insurance. So if your stuff is destroyed it is on you.
    as for the alarms they only go off when the door is opened. If yours is going off for any other reason, the door sensors maybe misaligned and need fixed. I am 100% sure the entire complex does not do this. I have ran that facility for few days while mikes wife was in the hospital. Everything worked as it should.

I'll talk to the staff about the alarm in my unit then.

I acknowledge your experience at the place but as far as having a secure place to store them long term, that is my best option at the moment. Rust has never been an issue on my rifles due to them being stored there.

Last edited:

richardraw316

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    I'll talk to the staff about the alarm in my unit then.

I acknowledge your experience at the place but as far as having a secure place to store them long term, that is my best option at the moment. Rust has never been an issue on my rifles due to them being stored there.
    And I hope it never happens to your rifles. I have seen lotsnofnpeople remove their item with mold and mildew all over their stuff. Rusty tools and tool boxes. Insure your storage unit with renters or home owners insurance and they should cover it. But it is a hassle. Just store in a nicenfacility and you should be ok.

Top Bottom