• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Love the 1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    OP,
    Here's what I would start doing immediately to get your foot in the door. First off, at 18, start doing ride-alongs with multiple departments in your area. Don't make yourself a constant presence with one guy or one shift on a single department but try to get to know a few guys that work there. I would also only do ride-alongs with departments that you would consider working at when you turn 21.

I would try to get at least an associates degree but preferably, a bachelors. While school is not required to become a LEO, it helps you stand out from the crowd. When my department recently did interviews for hiring, all of the applicants that made it that far had either a bachelor's degree, prior LE experience, or 6+ years of military experience.

While in school, you may have an opportunity to do an internship. If you have done some ride-alongs and expressed interest in joining a department (and they think you would make a good candidate) they will often times take you on as an intern. Be ready to do filing, work with detectives, but also get a little more information on what happens behind the scenes of a police department.

When you are getting close to being 21, start looking at reserve programs in your area. I know a county department in the area has one as a classmate of mine at the academy was a member of it. This is great experience and allows you to get an idea of what doing the job full time for the rest of your life may look like. It also gets your foot in the door again and allows both the department you're a reserve officer for, as well as other agencies in the county, if you have what it takes to become full time.

Lastly, be patient. Decide who you would like to work for and apply there. Do not apply to 14 different departments. I went through the reserve academy with my current department, went through through all the field training, and only applied for the one department again. I was hired at that time but planned to apply only for this department for one more year before expanding my search to include the county department in my area.

I am in the Indianapolis area and would be happy to let you go on a ride-along down here with me if you would be interested in that. Good luck with your search.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    There's a lot of truth to what "Love the 1911" stated. The ride along program will allow you to see what you are getting into. Take several if possible and also watch the officer(s) you ride with. You will be able to tell those who care and those who are there just for a check. Don't get burned out. When you start listening to the officers who moan and groan listen to them. Usually their complaints is just an excuse for themselves. But watch for the officer who comes to work preparred. You can learn much from him. Listen to your training officer and take it seriously. Officer safety is very important. If your training officer calls you a jerk, it's probably necessary to catch your attention, not because he hates you. Wear your vest.

Listen to the citizens. You could probably the only time they come in contact with an officer. Leave a good impression. If you don't know the answer to their question, tell them I don't know but find the answer and get back with them. Get to know the people of your area. Know the bad guys and the people who you can get good info from.

Be preparred for highs and lows emotionally. Seeing things that are not pleasent is a common theme. Set your goals and don't waiver from them. Be honest especially with the people you work with and work for. People will be able to see through a false facade. Get a good working relationship with your immediate supervisor. He is there to help you, he is not your mother.

Last edited:

TMU317

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Indy
    As the others have already said, definitely go on a ride along. Try different shifts and different locations to get a more realistic experience. Wait until you see what the job is really like before you make any major decisions. Once you see officers getting spit on, cussed out, punched...etc on a daily basis you might change your mind. Of course this also depends on where you ride. For example working IMPD east district middle shift is a whole different world compared to a small town or rural area with relatively low crime.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    And we cannot neg rep anymore...oh the irony.
    Yup!!!

Damnit!!!! :xmad:

OP....
    What the other guys said is exactly right!
    Ride alongs will expose you to the ups, and downs, of the Profession.
    You'll learn pretty quickly if you're cut out to deal with some of the nastier things that happen every day.
    Good luck to you. :D

Come to think of it, if you can stomach some of the vitriol aimed at LEO's around here, you'll likely do well as an Officer. ;)

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I'm 33 and have considered a career change recently. Is the police academy a residence program, or something that could be commuted to?

The town is hiring but I don't see anything on their site about ride alongs. Would it just be something I'd call / email the recruitment officer or someone along those lines? Or are those things more unofficial and I'd need to "know someone"?

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    If you want to be on IMPD the cut off is 36. Again for IMPD the academy is something you commute to. For IMPD It helps to be a college grad or have military service. Most officers (in the past at least) had either or. For state police, you live at the academy in plainfield until the weekend where you can go home. You must have either college or military for ISP. For state or IMPD it doesn't matter who you know. Smaller towns are different.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    i checked out my local cop shop and they said you need to have your g.e.d. and have been bullied in highschool

TMU317

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Indy
    The town is hiring but I don't see anything on their site about ride alongs. Would it just be something I'd call / email the recruitment officer or someone along those lines? Or are those things more unofficial and I'd need to "know someone"?

You don't necessarily need to know anyone. I am not sure about the particular department you are referring to, but you should be able to contact them in some fashion to set it up. You need to have a relatively clean background, as they will most likely check you out.

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    If you want to be on IMPD the cut off is 36. Again for IMPD the academy is something you commute to. For IMPD It helps to be a college grad or have military service. Most officers (in the past at least) had either or. For state police, you live at the academy in plainfield until the weekend where you can go home. You must have either college or military for ISP. For state or IMPD it doesn't matter who you know. Smaller towns are different.

Hmm. I live in Fishers and I'm interested in their PD. I'd have to teach the cat to take care of herself during the week I guess ;) I have a B.S. in computer stuff, which is what I currently do for living.

You don't necessarily need to know anyone. I am not sure about the particular department you are referring to, but you should be able to contact them in some fashion to set it up. You need to have a relatively clean background, as they will most likely check you out.

I guess a phone call or email will get me in the right direction.

Erick46590

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    X
    i already have a job, actually started this week. and it goes full time after 90days, but im thinking about maybe starting on a 2 year degree next year. i'll look into it more later next year.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    could be true... the last i checked was in 2005, so 6 years ago.

from ISP webpage:
    "Eligible candidates for recruit school must:
    1. Be a United States citizen
    2. Be at least 21 and less than 40 years old when appointed as a police employee.
    3. Have vision correctable to 20/50.
    4. Must possess a valid driver's license to operate an automobile.
    5. Applicants must possess a high school diploma or GED.

The Indiana State Police currently offers the Traditional Academy for individuals wishing to pursue a career with the Indiana State Police."

You are correct sir.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Step 1: Get bullied in high school.

PicardFacePalm.jpg

Top Bottom