• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pitbull88

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    West Lafayette, IN
    Just curious what the consensus is here. When SHTF, do you stay put or do you head to that remote location away from it all? It seems there are conflicting opinions on this, and I would like to have a sound strategy. Obviously, there are times where you might have to leave, but not always. What are the contingencies?

chrstian_indy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Stay put, I'm old and slow.

It's the 21st century sir :D

tankchair.jpg

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    Depending on the situation, If Ihave the ability put gas in my vehicle I am heading for Maine. If not it is time to entrench and ride the storm.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    depends on the scenario. Lucifers Hammer? I'm outta here. Hyperinflation? probably stay. Widespread civil unrest? I might stay, and send the family away. Or we might all bug out.

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    May i ask, why Main?

I am from Maine originally, My parents still live there, no where near the population of around here, plenty of fresh water, food sources, and energy sources. My family still burns wood for heat, live on 40 acres on a dirt road and maintain a garden. I couldn't leave fast enough as a kid and would run as fast as I could back if it hit.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Stay put. Call the kids back home...and cook some hotdogs over the camp fire..... As I've said before, it would give me a reason to house clean and organize my stuff.

BDBHoover

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    Northside Indianapolis
    Similar answer to the above..... Stay put and barricade yourself and wait out the storm...... when things have blown over a tad, pack up as much as you can manage and move onto a secure location that you can manage self reliance much better...... near freshwater, with the potential for wild game.....

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    stay put, and hope that if we have to bug out that we miss the worst by waiting it out. i've got 4 young kids, and havent been able to really come up with a good place to bug out to

jake

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Interesting. I was just thinking about threads similar to this that have come up in the past. I have learned a lot from the past threads.

Just to check again, what do those who intend to stay put have in mind for those on the move that would cross their path? Travelers, trespassers, etc.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Interesting. I was just thinking about threads similar to this that have come up in the past. I have learned a lot from the past threads.

Just to check again, what do those who intend to stay put have in mind for those on the move that would cross their path? Travelers, trespassers, etc.

.....sinkholes

If I can get rid of the 1,400 lb horse....people would be much easier.

My mother in law will be the gate keeper and do point..........no one will want to get in her way....or have the nerve to stay for more than a minute or two...............

I have it all planned out.

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah

hard to say, its my guess that every situation will require analyzing.

jake

Lead Head

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Northeast Indiana
    This has been covered but it's still a valid question worth rehashing. I say hunker down on your home turf unless some type of lethal chem/bio toxin or plague type wave is eminent.

The initial SHTF will likely take time to build into a frenzy which will give you time to adjust your plan. Marshall Law, which is rarely discussed IS AN ISSUE and it's a wild card.

Stay too long and you could be trapped. Bail out prematurely and you might not get back in.

Unless it's a nuke (highly unlikely) SHTF will be a slow building regression. 30% unemployment could trigger such a thing. A global economic depression would be one scenario that would take several years to develop and ten times that to recover from. Hyper inflation would bring this country to its knees.

It's the "post" whatever SHTF situation that will require true long term survival. It's all highly unlikely based on history but stock up on a few things, just in case. ;)

Remember, it's all probable but not likely and remember, it's better to :horse: than to eat one. :noway:

CVMA544

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 26, 2010
    SW Indiana
    Stay put, the rest of the squad...er..I mean the family will all be here, both my kids and myself are Iraq vets. (more than once)

Just get on with normal squad,.....er...family duties, fortifying the postition and filling out range cards....er... I mean doing house and yard upkeep and doodling.

Mind our bidness, and hope people leave us alone, pity those who don't.

warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I would stay put. Too much stuff to carry and too much unknown. I have two younger kids(10yr and 7Yr) in the house so moving could be a problem with short legs. And lack of good bug out location.

The goal is to have 5-6 weeks of supplies, guns for all family members (teaching boys to shoot .22), and getting lumber to barricade with.

After supplies get low, pack up what is left in the SUV and head south. By then it should thin out and be safer to travel.

Top Bottom