• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    That's fair, but an incredibly remote possibility. The idea of a foreign invader crossing an ocean whipping the navy, and then whipping the other branches..... WITHOUT a nuclear solution, and leaving the people as legitimate line of defense is some Red Dawn type nonsense.
    I guess intergalactic alien invasion defense might be a possibility.

But what about all the UN trooops that are trining on US soil? What aobut when they start streaming out of that FEEMA camp in Beech Grove and start taking over Indianapolis?

I thinnk the Intergalactic Imperator is the least of your worries... :)

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Who says we need M1 abrams..... the fuel bill alone would bankrupt the state in a second.

I say we go old school. M60 patton, M14 rifle, alice gear, and retired marine drill instructors!

When do we invade Illinois? Er I guess invade isn't PC anymore, okay when do we LIBERATE Illinois??

Where in Indiana would we need a 10 pound rifle with an effective range of 900 yards to be a primary battle rifle? Not many places in central Indiana where an AK would be outranged, although I take your point about using retired Marine DIs.

Fred78

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    When the feds federalized the guard there was to be a force maintained for the Governors desecration, in case of a disaster of some sort. That didn't last long the states guard units have been gutted for the wars. I was in the 890th Trans Co. in Ft. Wayne when we absorbed some In. guard units redid all the mil. files etc. AND THEN the sweethearts moved the unit out west some place took all the men out of the unit and sent them to Viet Nam I guess the unit just sort of disappeared.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Who says we need M1 abrams..... the fuel bill alone would bankrupt the state in a second.

I say we go old school. M60 patton, M14 rifle, alice gear, and retired marine drill instructors!

Good sentiment...there's not much I couldn't do with an M60 that needed doing (especially the A3) but it still drank 2gal to the mile...

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    That's fair, but an incredibly remote possibility. The idea of a foreign invader crossing an ocean whipping the navy, and then whipping the other branches..... WITHOUT a nuclear solution, and leaving the people as legitimate line of defense is some Red Dawn type nonsense.
    I guess intergalactic alien invasion defense might be a possibility.

So, by all means, no need to be prepared. We should all just sit here waiting for the next extinction event because nothing else will matter. I'm sure a trained group of folks would have made zero difference in Ferguson. Let's all just sit on the couch.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    So, by all means, no need to be prepared. We should all just sit here waiting for the next extinction event because nothing else will matter. I'm sure a trained group of folks would have made zero difference in Ferguson. Let's all just sit on the couch.

Who are you talking about being trained?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Who are you talking about being trained?

Maybe guys like these, apparently in St. Louis

St.-Louis-Ink-Tattoo-Studio.jpg

Or these, a few years ago in LA

58852252.jpg

They did a fine job. None of the above businesses, as I recall, had any damage. Imagine how much more they could have done had they been an actual trained group, such as the men on Lexington Green or the Acton Militia of the mid-1770s.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Maybe guys like these, apparently in St. Louis

St.-Louis-Ink-Tattoo-Studio.jpg

Or these, a few years ago in LA

58852252.jpg

They did a fine job. None of the above businesses, as I recall, had any damage. Imagine how much more they could have done had they been an actual trained group, such as the men on Lexington Green or the Acton Militia of the mid-1770s.

Oh I gotcha "trained." I actually meant trained.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    A militia that arms and trains itself would pose a problem to a professional army for about 10 minutes.... 10 sec if it's US force. The best chance for an insurgency force in the modern world, when taking on a national govt, is to sway a large portion of the military to your side. This ain't 1776. Modern militaries, even outside of the US are the real deal.
    I thought talking about revolution was prohibited...anyway, one of the sources of insurgent weapons is the enemy. Ever hear about those (+/-1million)single shot, stamped steel, .45ACP pistols, that the allies dropped all over France during ww2? The nazis were a little concerned. There was a survey done of USMC troops in the '90s asking what their opinion of being put under UN command was AND whether they'd be willing to fire on citizens who refused to surrender their guns to a .gov gun ban...about 4/10 basically said 'hell no'. If there was an insurgency of their fellow citizens to defect to, I bet they might defect--and take their weapons with them.
    Aside from that, you underestimate the ability of insurgents to harass a professional army. They don't have to win over the enemies army, just the populace. Like, what mao said about the guerilla being a fish swimming among the populace and the army is reduced to 'whack-a-mole'. If I were to list the insurgencies against modern armies here, the list might get long, but here's one:IRA vs Brittish army. The insurgents can't usually win the fight but they can keep it going. That was true in 1776 too, the war didn't decisively turn against the Brits until the French got involved.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Oh I gotcha "trained." I actually meant trained.

So did I. Read the comment under the image of the Korean shopkeepers. I'm referring to people regularly training with their weapons and in their skills. The folks pictured above may do that, but probably not together, as a unit, as the militias used to.

The Acton militia was the best equipped of the day, being outfitted with some of their gear from the forge of their captain, Isaac Davis. They trained in his field, and were the ones who took the bridge at Concord and held it... even when their captain took a ball through the heart and died in the charge.

Or do you consider training only valid if it's guys in a room with mats on the ground taking turns trying to overcome each other and snap on a pair of cuffs? Or on a square range with a RO? Or a Hogan's Alley-type setup?

Despite the sound of it, I don't mean that with any more snark than you meant with your comment. I'm thinking the Koreans above protected their own businesses. Had they been a group that trained together regularly before that, they might have protected a whole neighborhood or two... and might have had enough respect from the community that they'd not have been run out of business after the dust settled from the riots. (I remember reading that the LA city or county, not sure which, refused to renew their business licenses for some reason... So if the looters don't get you, you can count on the city and county leaders to finish the job for them.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    So...unless you're the SEALS/SOF/Rangers etc. you are unworthy...gotcha...in your mind no other group of people will make a difference even though they seem to almost everywhere they crop up.

There's no need to be that squared away. My issue with militia types, is that IMO, all they want to do is play Army. Everybody wants a cool gun, a stockpile of ammo, and the latest in tactical fashion. If this stuff is actually a priority, then address it as so.

Force10

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2014
    Franklin County
    I'm coming in late on this discussion, but I totally agree with Kirk and Bill et al. in that a state militia would be best individually-funded (tax incentives for firearm/ammo/training would be a nice touch). Kutnupe, while you raise some valid questions, I think it is dangerous to make a generalized statement like the one above. There are many here on INGO that, based on my internet judgement (scary, right?), are not asking to be subsidized mall cops. Their genuine concern is protection of family, friends, and neighbors. Even neighbors who may be of different opinions. Your argument that all they want want to do is "play Army" sounds familiar, but it usually comes from the anti-2A. "Why do you need a gun, when REAL police officers are just a phone call away? You just want to play cop..."

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    There's no need to be that squared away. My issue with militia types, is that IMO, all they want to do is play Army. Everybody wants a cool gun, a stockpile of ammo, and the latest in tactical fashion. If this stuff is actually a priority, then address it as so.

Don't forget everyone's a colonel. At least.

Top Bottom