• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    What about a Henry .22 lever action. Very easy to shoot and reliable.

Absolutely this. Henry also makes a youth model that is slightly shorter and has a LOP about 1.5" shorter. My full size H001 is handled quite well by my 10 year old grandson. The accuracy is tight (he can group 2" at 75 yards with no problems using the iron sights) the quality fit and finish is really second to none and by being a lever action he won't be burning up rounds as fast as he can. I only had to make one adjustment for elevation with the rear sight right out of the box with mine and cleaning is simple.

If you'd like to really make his eyes light up buy him a Golden Boy!

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bought my 11 year old a Ruger 10/22 for her Birthday (last Feb). Got her a carbine model with composite stock and it was perfect for her. The best part, was rebuilding it with aftermarket parts WITH her input.

It was a great project. I taught her how to use it safely and got to show her how to break it down, clean it and upgrade pieces. I let her choose her aftermarket items one piece out of her allowance (I matched any allowance she used) and together we built not only a great little gun... but some great memories and a new hobby we can share with one another!

hallowt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2012
    If you want to start him with a long gun I would start him with a .22, let him learn the weapon. I would even suggest a single shot. Not knowing his age. I started very young and was doing my own hunting early. I used a .22 single shot.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    D5EA1518-8E38-418C-ACC8-72187844A90D-7729-0000055D20C6E5CD.jpg

Farmritch

Expert
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    OC
    Started the daughter out with a Henry mini bolt it's just her size
    The cricket is less but the rear sight really sux and its just a light piece of stamped steel

mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    I picked up a Savage Rascal for my 5 year old son for Christmas. I like how small the stock is for him to grip. Can't wait to shoot it with him!

Mark

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I'm looking around right now myself for my boys first rifle. As of now I really like the Savage Rascal. There are a couple others I am looking at but I believe the Savage is what I am going to buy him.

Pete

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    I picked up a Rossi combo .22/.410 for my son. It is a break open single shot with two interchangeable barrels. While it is much slower to operate, it kept the firing pace to something a six year old can handle. Later a Henry .22 was in the cards for him. He is now 18 & still hunts & shoots with me.

Exo594

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2012
    It seems that there are a lot of suggestions for rifles, but what about pistols? A single-action .22 revolver would be good, also get him into handguns, which you may or may not want to do, but would definitely help with manual dexterity. Or a .22 single shot pistol. Since pistols aren't as stable as rifles, might help him get used to tightening up wobbly sight pictures.

FordBronco

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Hartsville
    Rifle - Ruger 10-22 or Marlin 39A (lever action)
    ... but my daughter really likes the Remington Model 12 (which I might as well call "her" gun)

For pistols, I would recommend a Ruger Single Six (or the Bearcat which is a little smaller if the hands are small). I have three of the Single-Six pistols (although one of them is my son's that his grandfather gave him).

T-Mann

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Michiana Area
    My two older sons (12 and 10) started out with my Marlin 80, which is a bolt .22lr. It was my first rifle when I was about 14 and was given to me out of my father's collection. Right now, that is the only long gun they shoot (and they learned to shoot pistol on a P22). Next range visit my 12 year old will learn to handle a lever action .410. More to become familiar with lever operation, but also to show him the difference in shot and rifle.

So my suggestion would be like many others....a bolt-action .22 is a pretty good "first rifle".

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I learned on an older Remington 22 bolt gun. I loved it! I think bolt guns are wonderful! However, if he is growing in the hobby there is a chance he may want a semi auto (especially if you already have a bolt gun). My first gun was a 10/22 (when I was maybe 12? Don't remember...) and I still buy stuff for it (im 26 now) and shoot it as often as possible! Whatever you get him I'm sure hell love it! Good luck!

Pete

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    I started my son out on a Savage model 101. It is a single shot "revolver".

After that was a Ruger Bearcat, Single Six, & 1911 with a 22 conversion.

Top Bottom