• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Why wait until St. Valentine's day to pop in? Next time I go bye one I might stop and buy something, ask for the manager and tell her/him exactly why I'm there and ask if they've heard about the upcoming boycott. It should be interesting. How about those of you who already stop at one each day? Have you brought up the topic to any staff?

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    And furthermore, if you belong to any Episcopal or UCC church have you talked to your pastor about their involvement in this stupidity? When you do how about reminding them that Christ warned us to not fear what can hurt the body but that which can kill the soul. (Mr. Ortega had all this stuff crammed into his soft little brain many many years ago by Sister Mary 2x4.)

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Why wait until St. Valentine's day to pop in?

If people want to go other times, feel free. However, the point is to go on the 14th. It makes it a much easier decision for Starbucks to stay pro rights if on a major boycott day, they actually have 25-50% higher sales.

It may also serve as a lesson to other companies that have already knuckled under to this same group that maybe there is less to be concerned about financially than they feared.

Last edited:

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Starbucks would not send coffee to Iraq. they said they did not believe on the war. I find this whole thing strange.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    If people want to go other times, feel free. However, the point is to go on the 14th. It makes it a much easier decision for Starbucks to stay pro rights if on a major boycott day, they actually have 25-50% higher sales.

It may also serve as a lesson to other companies that have already knuckled under to this same group that maybe there is less to be concerned about financially than they feared.
    I thought the story said the boycott BEGINS on the 14th. If that's true it sounds like a continuing thing.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Starbucks would not send coffee to Iraq. they said they did not believe on the war. I find this whole thing strange.

Summary of the eRumor
    An email from a Marine who says some Marines wrote to Starbucks to say how much they liked Starbucks coffee and to request some donated coffee for the Marines.
    The eRumor says Starbucks responded by saying they don't support and war and will not send any coffee.
    The writer urges a boycott of Starbucks.

bd14565_.gif
    The Truth
    TruthOrFiction.com contacted Starbucks about the story.

Starbucks says that the originator of the email, Sgt. Howard Wright, and talked with him about his complaint.
    He has now sent a follow-up email to his email list, which appears below.

Starbucks assured him of their support of the military and that the only reason any coffee was not donated was because the official Starbucks donation policy authorizes such gifts to officially designated public charities, including libraries and schools, and that the U.S. military or military personnel do not qualify.
    It was not meant to be a comment on the war or the service of military personnel in the war.
    The company said that there have been employees that have showed their support through donations of coffee.
    Starbucks told us that many of the company's employees (called "partners" by Starbucks) receive one pound of free coffee each week and some of that coffee has gone to members of the military or related organizations.
    For example, the employees in the Starbucks in Atascadero, California, decided to send their weekly free coffee to troops in Afghanistan and there are other such stories about Starbucks coffee finding its way into the hands of military personnel.

Dear Readers,

Almost 5 months ago I sent an e-mail to you my faithful friends. I did a wrong thing that needs to be cleared up. I heard by word of mouth about how Starbucks said they didn't support the war and all. I was having enough of that kind of talk and didn't do my research properly like I should have. This is not true. Starbucks supports men and women in uniform. They have personally contacted me and I have been sent many copies of their company's policy on this issue. So I apologize for this quick and wrong letter that I sent out to you.

Now I ask that you all pass this email around to everyone you passed the last one to. Thank you very much for understanding about this.

Howard C. Wright
    Sgt USMC
    1st Force Rcon Co
    1st Plt PLT RTO​

Link: Starbucks doesn't support the war in Iraq-Fiction!

Last edited:

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Thx for the info LS&B.

mrortega- I reread the original press release (what a pile of BS!). You are right. they are starting on the 14th and will continue until Starbucks caves. Going on the 14th is still worthwhile, but this changes things considerably.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Thx for the info LS&B.

mrortega- I reread the original press release (what a pile of BS!). You are right. they are starting on the 14th and will continue until Starbucks caves. Going on the 14th is still worthwhile, but this changes things considerably.

Do you actually think the Anti-s can be without coffee for more than a day or two? Where else will they get their coffee? Dunkin Donuts? They have the same "we follow local laws" policy. McDonalds? Same policy. Some random mom-n-pop coffee shop? If it is in Indiana, they likely have the same policy.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Going on the 14th is still worthwhile, but this changes things considerably.

A single-day bump in sales would have a positive affect, but if they lose even 1-2% sales each day over the next year, few businesses would consider it worthwhile and would cave. I could be wrong, but I don't see 2A people significantly increasing Starbucks consumption over the long haul over this. I didn't add anything further above because I don't have a good answer to that concern.

Do you actually think the Anti-s can be without coffee for more than a day or two? Where else will they get their coffee? Dunkin Donuts? They have the same "we follow local laws" policy. McDonalds? Same policy. Some random mom-n-pop coffee shop? If it is in Indiana, they likely have the same policy.

You may be right. The NGAC claims 14 million "gun victims", which I'm sure is as inflated as the Brady Campaign supporter numbers. Do crime statistics come even close to making that number reasonable?

However, it doesn't matter where else they get their coffee. If they don't get it from Starbucks, the damage is done. I don't expect logical consistency from them. Starbucks has been portrayed as "2A supporters" so they will go to other coffee sources. If they come back quickly, minimal harm done. If not, ???

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Most "causes" wax then wane pretty quickly. The true believers may stop going to SB but the average guy/gal could care less about the whole "controversy." The pro gun response is a good idea to make a point but the long term effect of any boycott by the antis and other beautiful people will be barely noticeable. I'll bet the average customer hasn't even heard of this. I've been involved in enough causes to know most people are ignorant of almost everything outside their daily sphere of contacts.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    A single-day bump in sales would have a positive affect, but if they lose even 1-2% sales each day over the next year, few businesses would consider it worthwhile and would cave. I could be wrong, but I don't see 2A people significantly increasing Starbucks consumption over the long haul over this. I didn't add anything further above because I don't have a good answer to that concern.

Unlike you and I who won't ever buy wings at BW3, they'll be back buying starbucks coffee after a week. I think eldirector hit the nail on the head.

MrPeabody

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Dec 1, 2011
    Hamilton County

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member