• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    If Starbucks wishes that the law abiding should not carry firearms into their outlets, (leave their guns at home which is totally unacceptable to me) does this also apply to law enforcement officers as well? If not, there seems to be a double standard here. I believe that if law enforcement officers are permitted to carry inside a private business, then so should law abiding citizens. However, this is just my opinion. I also believe that private businesses are free to dictate whatever legal policies they want. If I don't agree with them, then it is my right not to patronize them.

Just my :twocents:

I believe Law Enforcement are welcome to carry in or out of uniform.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    For all those that are boycotting Starbucks are you also going to boycott LGS (Local Gun Shops) that don't allow loaded guns? Why do LGS seem to get a pass and not Starbucks?

Last edited:

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    What strikes me about the mad mothers is this: They see this as a huge victory and referred to it as a "tipping point" for them.

So they see a victory in adding another place to the list of victim zones; target rich environments. They fail to see the illogic in that because they only have emotion.

Blackmailing one company into what is effectively a wink and a nod "don't bring your gun here" elbow, wink, wink, as a "tipping point" should show us all how insignificant their organization is.

It makes them feel good to they feel they won something.

I suspect that like me, most gun owners will avoid Starbuck's on principle. Also a point to consider, the only armed people in a Starbuck's will be the bad guys. Mad mothers may realize that only after a tragedy occurs. I pray that doesn't happen, but as we all know, stupid hurts sometimes.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I understand LGS that have policies against loaded firearms... When you have Joe Dirt pull out his cool pistol which he claims is unloaded until you find out it's not - and sweeping you, themselves, and other customers on a regular basis you might make a policy to help reduce the risk.

That said - every LGS I've been into where carrying was not permitted - those working there were carrying. I am ok with that.

I'm ok not carrying somewhere that somebody else is carrying and ready to use the firearm if necessary. I am not ok not carrying anywhere that all firearms are prohibited and the only ones there to defend me would be the police if they happen to be there at the time out of pure coincidence.

I do not like going to the post office because I do not like having to disarm myself and leave it in the car just so I can unlock a little door on a metal box and retrieve some mail. The thought that any sort of law banning firearms on post office property is going to keep crime from happening is silly on it's face - the same with most other policies against firearms.

At the end of the day there are responsible and irresponsible gun owners out there. It's unfortunate that the irresponsible ones tend to be the ones that get the most attention.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Wait...what? OCers acting like Wall Street Occupiers? I guess I missed the OCers raping customers, ****ting on the floors, pissing in the coffees, refusing to leave, vandalizing property and getting into fist fights with cops.

Great idea, lets demonized the guys who broke no law but are made out to be criminals. :rolleyes:

It's funny how we don't like being lumped in with the asshats with cameras, yet we'll make the same generalization about the OWS crowd.

Of course, you knew I was refering to their childish "look at me" tactics, but you went there anyway.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Their coffee is terrible, the worst gruel I have ever attempted to swallow. I have no reason to buy anything from them. When they refused to dis-allow weapons in their stores, I thought it was nice, but they still had nothing to offer to me as a potential customer. Furthermore, I have long standing issues and objections with other Starbucks policies, particularly their support of the baby killing profiteers Planned Parenthood, and their radical stance against traditional marriage. Now, I have one more reason never to spend another dime on Starbucks products.

45 LongColt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    Indiana
    For all those that are boycotting Starbucks are you also going to boycott LGS (Local Gun Shops) that don't allow loaded guns? Why do LGS seem to get a pass and not Starbucks?
    I don't shop in those stores. They legally carry, and as long as the customer is legal, than it should be allowed.

Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    I don't know why any of you are surprised. Starbucks was never an advocacy organization. They were just following local law without comment, and when both sides made it a point to drag them into the fray they bowed out as gracefully as possible. Read the piece again: They won't ask anyone who behaves themselves to leave or refuse to serve anyone carrying a pistol. In fact, there is no mandated action at all, just a declaration that weapons are unwelcome. The entire point of the memo is to make it clear that Starbucks isn't in the business of taking a position on open carry. Given the way open carry advocates and opponents alike have forced them into the middle of the debate I'm surprised it took so long to make such a statement.

And it's still terrible coffee. :twocents:

That is not at all what is claimed. It is not accurate to portray Starbucks as an organization that advocates open carry. They never have been that, and dragging their brand into the debate is not the sort of thing that engenders corporate goodwill.

Sorry this is what I meant was well said

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    But they are not saying Starbucks doesn't want you to carry AKs or ARs or even shotguns. If they came out and said that they feel that all long guns are not permitted on the property I guess I understand that, hell even if they stated that they don't want patrons to OC I might buy into that. But they do not want ANY law abiding citizen to enter thier shop while legally carrying any firearm. They have chosen which side of the 2nd Ammendment they are on.

When you force someone to be part of an issue that they wanted no part of AND force that issue and your support for the cause (which the company never wanted to publicly support or oppose), you can't be all that shocked when it backfires on you. For those that didn't see this coming from the start, what world do you live in?

45 LongColt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    Indiana
    I have actively supported Starbucks' policy to abide by local laws when it comes to firearms. That policy was respectful to both sides. Mothers Demand Action dragged Starbucks into the middle of the gun debate with their boycott and then pro gun groups responded by showing support for the neutral policy. MAC got it right when he pointed out that Starbucks requested to not be dragged into the gun debate but that pro gun groups and anti gun groups were going against their wishes. I have always open carried my personal defense firearm and always did so in Starbucks without issue. Although their drinks are overpriced (IMO) I always made it a point to spend my money at their store in support of their neutral policy because I felt welcomed there.

I no longer feel welcome at their coffee houses after reading their CEO's letter addressing their new policy of no firearms allowed. The only message I get out of that letter is that they want to appease both sides but that will never happen. I will not disarm to appease a business that does not welcome me and I refuse to spend my money in their stores ever again.
    You explained way better than I could. I agree with you 100%. Even though SB has not said I cant OC in their store, I no longer feel welcome there. So I wont go there, end of story.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    I have actively supported Starbucks' policy to abide by local laws when it comes to firearms. That policy was respectful to both sides. Mothers Demand Action dragged Starbucks into the middle of the gun debate with their boycott and then pro gun groups responded by showing support for the neutral policy. MAC got it right when he pointed out that Starbucks requested to not be dragged into the gun debate but that pro gun groups and anti gun groups were going against their wishes. I have always open carried my personal defense firearm and always did so in Starbucks without issue. Although their drinks are overpriced (IMO) I always made it a point to spend my money at their store in support of their neutral policy because I felt welcomed there.

I no longer feel welcome at their coffee houses after reading their CEO's letter addressing their new policy of no firearms allowed. The only message I get out of that letter is that they want to appease both sides but that will never happen. I will not disarm to appease a business that does not welcome me and I refuse to spend my money in their stores ever again.

This is how I felt also. I personally don't carry (no license, no suitable firearm to do so, and I will take a few classes before I will), but because they don't want any of my friends to carry (regardless of if they enforce it), I won't step foot inside their store. I didn't like much of anything there, but my fiance does. At least I can get what she likes locally also.

Top Bottom