• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    I have been a member on this forum for a little while now and participate as much as I have time to do so. I have noticed while reading on here many posters seem to be a little backwards IMO.
    This site is about guns and our 2nd amendment rights to carry them. Yet it seems every time a story makes the paper of somebody using their gun or pulling their gun some of us are so quick to bash them. Should we not at the very least wait until we have the full story or give people the benefit of the doubt if it is not a clear cut issue.

An example of problem is one that was up here not long ago. A guy shot a dog in a neighborhood. Everybody seemed to pretty much have the shooter convicted. It all was coming out "this person said this and claimed they saw this" but there were no facts, yet everyone wanted the person arrested and punished. Turns out the so called "facts" that were being told were incorrect.

There is example after example of people jumping on the bandwagon wanting to throw somebody under the jail with little to no evidence of any wrong doing.

We are all here for the same reason. We love guns, our country, our constitution. Yet we refuse to stick up for our own. I for one hope I never find myself in a situation where I must use my firearm, whether by pulling it on somebody or pulling the trigger. If I do however find myself in that situation I sure hope I don't have to come on here to read all you guys bashing me.

NDguido

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    Nappnee, Indiana
    I support the constitutional rights of everyone. Gun owners or not.

I agree people jump to rash conclusions here, but I see it done on both sides.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I will not stick up for somebody just because they're a member of my family, member of my religion, a Tennessee fan, and certainly not just because they're a gun owner. If they're wrong, they're wrong.

We should hold our fellow gun owners to a high standard, just as doctors, engineers and other professionals do to each other. It would behoove all of us to reserve judgement on any news event until we have all the information, I'll certainly agree with that.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I will not stick up for somebody just because they're a member of my family, member of my religion, a Tennessee fan, and certainly not just because they're a gun owner. If they're wrong, they're wrong.

We should hold our fellow gun owners to a high standard, just as doctors, engineers and other professionals do to each other. It would behoove all of us to reserve judgement on any news event until we have all the information, I'll certainly agree with that.

Only way that we have even a remote chance of maintaining the liberties and rights that we enjoy in this country now. One mistake by one person reflects on ALL of us; we cannot afford to let people continue to make those mistakes.

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    We also should not judge until we know all the facts. Am I honestly the only person that see's this? There is a new thread everyday bashing somebody who had to make a fast and probably difficult judgement call. I am not saying we should not learn from these mistakes, but has nobody else ever heard don't judge somebody unless you have walked a mile in their shoes. I am not sure how bashing somebody for making what may or may not have been a bad decision has anything to do with maintaining our rights and liberties.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    No matter how you cut it, some people are stupid and do stupid things, (like the two yahoos in Georgia) and they deserve whatever happens to them, gun owners or not. Not everyone deserves to be defended, especially when they're stupid and commit felonies. If you're feeling hurt over that one, then you need to get a tougher skin.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    We also should not judge until we know all the facts. Am I honestly the only person that see's this? There is a new thread everyday bashing somebody who had to make a fast and probably difficult judgement call. I am not saying we should not learn from these mistakes, but has nobody else ever heard don't judge somebody unless you have walked a mile in their shoes. I am not sure how bashing somebody for making what may or may not have been a bad decision has anything to do with maintaining our rights and liberties.

I understand your concern. However. This isn't a court of law. It's more about a bunch of people with common interests just spouting off their opinion. This isn't a political party, or a political action committee. We don't all have to agree.
    We often put our opinion out there, take our blows from our fellow members and kind of pass the ball around. Sometimes because we really passionate and knowledgeable about a subject and sometimes just because we want to be heard (or more often cause we're bored).
    Personally, I've learned from this exchange sometimes ... but usually I just get my blood pressure up.

In my not-so-humble position, you're taking this too seriously. Support the NRA to protect your 2nd Admendment rights. Come here to learn, to share and to smack some people around.

Just saying ..

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    No matter how you cut it, some people are stupid and do stupid things, (like the two yahoos in Georgia) and they deserve whatever happens to them, gun owners or not. Not everyone deserves to be defended, especially when they're stupid and commit felonies. If you're feeling hurt over that one, then you need to get a tougher skin.

Since you brought that one up, How many times have we all read the "what would you do posts"? It seems the majority who hear a "bump" in the night get their gun to investigate it. These two guys come upon two people messing with a lock on a door. It says in the article they asked them if they had proof they owned the home and they did not. It also said the responding officers commended them for what they did. Then in the morning when it turns out the police messed up it is all laid on the people who were trying to do the right thing. You can say all day what you would have done but hind sight is 20/20. Look at it from their perspective. Plus to say they commited felonies, I believe for them to be felons they must first be convicted by a jury of their peers. I for one hope those "peers" are not people like you.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg

I get your point. You are not advocating that anyone defends a gun owner when he is wrong, based on the facts presented. You are wondering why some of us can be so quick to side against a gun owner when the facts have not been presented proving his guilt. I don't have an answer, but it would be nice if everyone was given the benefit of the doubt in these cases, but it doesn't happen because it's cool to be first to say "I told you so!"

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    If we are a family let's do what family members do: Jump to conclusions, cuss each other, make fun of your hairdo or your date. At least that's what my family does. Don't screw up 'cause it'll be mentioned at every family reunion until you go to the home.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    If we are a family let's do what family members do: Jump to conclusions, cuss each other, make fun of your hairdo or your date. At least that's what my family does. Don't screw up 'cause it'll be mentioned at every family reunion until you go to the home.

Your family lets you off easy then....most I've seen keeps on going whether you're there or not:)

Classic Liberal

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Unfortunately, if you say anything negative about gunowners, it can't be labeled as bashing, as that is only reserved for leo... find another term.

Greeper

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 8, 2011
    This is why for every post I make, I've lurked a thousand of them...some here can be mean, opinionated, and inconsistent to the point that you can't tell which side of an issue they will be passionately on until the flame starts...sometimes it's just easier to sit in the corner, silently, 'till I've got somethin' to say.

This one, for instance.
    :twocents:

NDguido

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    Nappnee, Indiana
    I guess next time somebody posts a news story, we should just respond: "waiting for all the facts before rendering an opinion."

Seems to me it would get really boring after the first couple of responses. :dunno:

us marine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    I think I get what this guy is saying, most of us carry regularly, so you never know when a split second decision will come, I believe innocent until proven guilty. That's how I want to be treated.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    Since you brought that one up, How many times have we all read the "what would you do posts"? It seems the majority who hear a "bump" in the night get their gun to investigate it. These two guys come upon two people messing with a lock on a door. It says in the article they asked them if they had proof they owned the home and they did not. It also said the responding officers commended them for what they did. Then in the morning when it turns out the police messed up it is all laid on the people who were trying to do the right thing. You can say all day what you would have done but hind sight is 20/20. Look at it from their perspective. Plus to say they commited felonies, I believe for them to be felons they must first be convicted by a jury of their peers. I for one hope those "peers" are not people like you.
    Presumption of innocence is reserved for the courts. In the court of public opinion, or here on INGO, we don't have the luxury of getting all the facts a jury might hear were a case to go to trial.

Some people here are concerned about gun owners getting an image, justified or not, of being reckless cowboys. Others don't seem to have this concern.

I don't think there are many people here on INGO who don't know better than to point a loaded firearm at a human being when there is no imminent threat to human life. I'm having a hard time imagining what other facts you think might exist that would justify the action of these two fellows.

I'm also wondering why you think it was the job of the two riflemen to initiate an investigation. The fact that they approached with guns deployed and then asked for proof of ownership clearly shows that they had no clue whatsoever whether or not a felony was ongoing. I'm glad my neighbors didn't try this when I changed out my locks last year, after dark.

Finally, would a police officer have drawn down on these old-timers in the exact same circumstances, not knowing who they were or whether they actually had a right to be there?

dusterboy49

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Fremont

:popcorn:

Lock load

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Mishawaka IN
    It's not my job to prove my to prove to my neighbors that I own my house.
    Do we allow any citizen to pull a gun on any driver and prove they own they own the car?
    Unless you think someone is in immediate danger. Call the authorities and let them sort it out.
    If that story was close to accurate then those two guys were not heroes. They were morons.
    An average citizen has no more authority to violate another persons rights than the police do.

Top Bottom