• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    It's not my job to prove my to prove to my neighbors that I own my house.
    Do we allow any citizen to pull a gun on any driver and prove they own they own the car?
    Unless you think someone is in immediate danger. Call the authorities and let them sort it out.
    If that story was close to accurate then those two guys were not heroes. They were morons.
    An average citizen has no more authority to violate another persons rights than the police do.
    Good points. The part in bold is the money quote and it works the other way around too if you swap citizen and police. Right on. :yesway:

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    [/QUOTE]I don't think there are many people here on INGO who don't know better than to point a loaded firearm at a human being when there is no imminent threat to human life. I'm having a hard time imagining what other facts you think might exist that would justify the action of these two fellows.

I'm also wondering why you think it was the job of the two riflemen to initiate an investigation. The fact that they approached with guns deployed and then asked for proof of ownership clearly shows that they had no clue whatsoever whether or not a felony was ongoing. I'm glad my neighbors didn't try this when I changed out my locks last year, after dark.

Finally, would a police officer have drawn down on these old-timers in the exact same circumstances, not knowing who they were or whether they actually had a right to be there?[/QUOTE]

This was just one example. I am thinking we have a different definition of facts. I just re-read the article to be sure but it does not say the guns were ever pointed at anybody else. I am also pretty sure that you have introduced yourself to your neighbors as most all of us have. Finally, yes, a police officer very well may pull his weapon when approaching an unknown situation and unknown potential threat.

Would you go investigate a potential threat without your weapon? Maybe you would not go to defend your neighbors or in the case the house next door. That is up to you and your values. But there are plenty of cases where people have done so and been totally within the law. If these people had been breaking in this story would never have been here. The police made the same mistake these two people did.

There was also the case in Texas. Man shot two robbers at his neighbors home. Cleared of all charges. Granted the situation is not exactly the same but it is defending property that is not your own.
    Everybody has right to their opinion. I am not trying to say any different. However when we state things as they are fact when they are not that is how rumors get started. I prefer to try not to behave like a gossipy teenage girl.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Your family lets you off easy then....most I've seen keeps on going whether you're there or not:)
    That's probably true. I've made one of my favorite nephews promise he'll stand over my coffin and make one of his goofy noises that we always laugh about. And I know that my two brothers and favorite cousin will stand there and make fun of all the stupid stuff I've done on this side of the grass.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I have been a member on this forum for a little while now and participate as much as I have time to do so. I have noticed while reading on here many posters seem to be a little backwards IMO.
    This site is about guns and our 2nd amendment rights to carry them. Yet it seems every time a story makes the paper of somebody using their gun or pulling their gun some of us are so quick to bash them. Should we not at the very least wait until we have the full story or give people the benefit of the doubt if it is not a clear cut issue.

An example of problem is one that was up here not long ago. A guy shot a dog in a neighborhood. Everybody seemed to pretty much have the shooter convicted. It all was coming out "this person said this and claimed they saw this" but there were no facts, yet everyone wanted the person arrested and punished. Turns out the so called "facts" that were being told were incorrect.

There is example after example of people jumping on the bandwagon wanting to throw somebody under the jail with little to no evidence of any wrong doing.

We are all here for the same reason. We love guns, our country, our constitution. Yet we refuse to stick up for our own. I for one hope I never find myself in a situation where I must use my firearm, whether by pulling it on somebody or pulling the trigger. If I do however find myself in that situation I sure hope I don't have to come on here to read all you guys bashing me.

That dog situation you mention was fake :laugh: it was making fun of another thread.

You are thinking about the wrong one. There were several posted right about the same time.

Agreed. There were several posts regarding the shooting of neighbor's dogs posted within a few days of each other. One of which was mine. It was an actual experience that I shared here the night it happened and continued to report all the facts that I was able to get as they came to me. I rendered aid to the dog myself and nobody saw anything to remotely confirm the shooter's side of the story and so those are the facts which I presented. They weren't "biased" in any way other than to point out the errors made in that particular situation. The shooter indeed committed a couple crimes in his actions, but that is up to the county whether or not they wish to press charges given the circumstances. Personally, at the very least I think the man should have seen a lawsuit, but I will never find all of that out I'm sure. Anyhow, I think people are generally too eager to jump on a particular badwagon depending on how facts are presented to them which is exactly how the media can be so manipulative. So why would you expect this forum or any website for that matter to be any different?:dunno:

The you can read the facts from the entirety of that thread here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...9-wow_idiot_shot_a_dog_in_a_neighborhood.html

As far as "standing up for someone" whom I don't know simply because we share a common interest is irresponsible in managing one's own integrity or character.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    As I told my Nephews the day I gave them their first hand gun and they got their license:

Today your life is forever changed. The level of your required personal responsibility has now risen ten fold. Today and all those that follow, you must be thinking all the time. You must think about the "what ifs" because they can happen to you or to someone you care for. If it happens, then what do you do and what do you not do? Today your life is forever changed.

Carrying a handgun is alot like riding a motorcycle. You must be thinking about the "what ifs". What will I do and how will I do it if I must lay my bike down. I played out that scenario in my head many times a day while riding.

Vv

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    They asked people for proof. How many people carry around proof they own a house??? I know I don't.
    The police should have followed up better.
    The local AR owners, did not stop a violent felony, protect their house, or protect a life.

Yes, people should wait for the facts. But, people are people.
    And you are going to hear from people that have different opinions.
    That's part of democracy.

donnie1581

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Elwood, IN
    I agree with Darral and I've seen many threads on here where people jump to conclusions and ridicule others about their actions they took in a critical situation. All the people on here who jump to conclusions and convict their fellow gun owners without any facts are no better than the media and well over half the U.S who immediately painted Zimmerman as an irresponsible gun owner who murdered a kid; all of this before the facts were brought to light.

Top Bottom