• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I love the look of a quality blued finish (think Colt revolver, older smith, ect.) I have found that the newer blued finishes arent as bright, and dont seem to hold up the same asthe older ones.

For a carry gun, I tend to lean toward SS, mainly because the finish is more durable, and easier to clean up if something were to happen to it. I tend to lean toward Stainless in my hunting guns as well, as typically I am out in some not so nice weather when I am hunting.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    The colt royal blue is a rust blue that it no longer allowed do to the chemicals used in it. I believe OSHA and federal environmental laws now prohibit it. If memory serves me correctly something like arsenic is used in the chemical bath. That said I am sure the new bluing chemicals are almost as good maybe better. I think the crafts person might have had lots to do with the quality of bluing done at that time also.

i do like the blue better. For a pistol that I carry and use abuse stainless is the better option. A little more forgiving.

i have had this Rossi 357 since the late 1980's. I wipe her down after a shooting session maybe again when I have nothing else going on or finish cleaning something else. Has looked the same since I got it. Has spent nights in a fishing box, weeks in a glove box, days on the hip, nearly 25 years in that holster.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Nothing wrong with that, I am pretty sure we all get a few wrinkles and scars as we get older. Cant leave an old friend behind just because of a few beauty marks..

Persistency

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2014
    Plainfield
    From an appearance standpoint, for me it depends on the gun. While I tend to prefer blued guns, some guns just look great in stainless. I own a little of both.

Racechase1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Indy
    I like the blued guns, they look traditional as all get out. I have a stainless I got as a gift, I'll never get rid of , but still like the blue. As for nickel and chrome, when I was a kid my dad said they were guns pimps carry. I'll never forget that.

indianachris

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    Personally, nothing beats a stainless revolver.
    TU3iieh.jpg

150712_01_lg.jpg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    warsaw
    You had said you wanted a finish that was like a form of art.

Bluing is a finish with a lot of depth and complexity to it. Its the kind of finish that you can look at for a long time. If you look at stainless to long you start to see the reality of your hair loss in your reflection. I have to see that every day, and trust me: its not art. ;)

Simple Ed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Kosciusko County
    Bluing is a finish with a lot of depth and complexity to it. Its the kind of finish that you can look at for a long time. If you look at stainless to long you start to see the reality of your hair loss in your reflection. I have to see that every day, and trust me: its not art. ;)[/QUOTE]

Ouch, you may want to keep that piece in its holster more often, then. In my case, nickel plating would help me to stare at TWO beauties at the same time.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    warsaw
    Bluing is a finish with a lot of depth and complexity to it. Its the kind of finish that you can look at for a long time. If you look at stainless to long you start to see the reality of your hair loss in your reflection. I have to see that every day, and trust me: its not art. ;)

Ouch, you may want to keep that piece in its holster more often, then. In my case, nickel plating would help me to stare at TWO beauties at the same time.[/QUOTE]

lol, I was referring to u, but again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

if you ever want to engrave you should go with stainless imho.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I love a nice blued gun. Not a stainless fan.

I like the looks of blued, but the function of stainless.

Carbon steel generally has better wear properties than stainless alloys. Higher carbon content means more carbides in the matrix, making it harder and more wear resistant.

Top Bottom