• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    The Leadership Academy is a course to improve oneself and hopefully make them a better leader...

That's cop talk for improving one's curbstomp technique and getting better at teaching said techniques to the rookies.;)

I coulda just said, tagged for interest, but what fun would that be.:D

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    If you are interested in encounters outside of Indiana then maybe I have a contribution you can use.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Um, thanks? I haven't been promoted, but hope to be by the end of the year. The Leadership Academy is a course to improve oneself and hopefully make them a better leader, but has nothing to do with promotion. I still appreceiate the fireworks, I love fireworks. :)

I don't get it :dunno: :popcorn:

I generally consider it a safe bet that they aren't going to pay for training to make a person fit for promotion without intent to do so within the reasonably near future--therefore I have confidence that good things are coming!

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    Frank are you still looking for more interactions that disarmed a legally carrying Indiana citizen by a officer? If so, I could help you out as long as there isn't a time restriction on when it happened. My experience was 20 years ago.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Frank are you still looking for more interactions that disarmed a legally carrying Indiana citizen by a officer? If so, I could help you out as long as there isn't a time restriction on when it happened. My experience was 20 years ago.

No time restriction. Please PM me your email address.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    If anyone has suggestions of survey questions that should be asked to police officers concerning their thoughts and practices when it comes to interacting with legally armed citizens, feel free to post them. Please keep them serious, and related to the topic.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    My question is if they specifically check for the LTCH when running a D.L.? If so, how does that change, if at all, how they conduct the interaction?

jumpjet

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2014
    Indianapolis
    My question is if they specifically check for the LTCH when running a D.L.? If so, how does that change, if at all, how they conduct the interaction?

Based on what I've been told by a LEO, they don't have to check as a separate action when running the DL. It comes up automatically when the run the DL.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    If anyone has suggestions of survey questions that should be asked to police officers concerning their thoughts and practices when it comes to interacting with legally armed citizens, feel free to post them. Please keep them serious, and related to the topic.

That would depend on what you're trying to accomplish with the survey ultimately. I'd be glad to help you formulate questions to help with the cause if you'd like.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    How does your demeanor change when someone informs you that they have a firearm / weapon in the vehicle before you ask if they are armed?

How can I (as a legally armed citizen) help you see that I'm not a threat? -- I realize that the job requires a LEO to view everyone as a "potential threat"

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    If you have access to or can obtain records of how many offenders have had their LTCH at the time of their arrest, as well as the details as to the nature of their offense and so forth, you would provide undeniable grounds for substantiating that the far majority of LTCH holders cannot be reasonably suspected of felonious acts. I think that this basis of information will reach much farther in your effort than anything.

If they don't track such data, you should be seeking out (read: getting them interested in changing) why they're not. If you're not tracking such data, then you're not providing a basis to identify areas for improvement and therefore likely, are not improving efficiently.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Do you feel that handling unholstered handguns is a unsafe practice?

Or more directly, how is a properly holstered firearm considered a threat in and of itself in a routine stop for a moving violation with no other cues as to the individual(s) being a threat? (plates are clean, no odor of drugs at the window, not suspected of DUI, etc)

if you cant handle your suspect being lawfully armed, shouldnt you be better assigned to directing traffic or as a metermaid instead? :):

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    Do you feel that handling unholstered handguns is a unsafe practice?

It is proven time over time that the longer/more a loaded weapon is handled outside of it's holster the more likely the chance of an accidental discharge. Even cops are not immune as we have seen and many have made fun of many times on this forum. So, absent any RAS that the individual is/may be a potential threat the best place for a gun is to remain in it's holster. Common Sense

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    If you have access to or can obtain records of how many offenders have had their LTCH at the time of their arrest, as well as the details as to the nature of their offense and so forth, you would provide undeniable grounds for substantiating that the far majority of LTCH holders cannot be reasonably suspected of felonious acts. I think that this basis of information will reach much farther in your effort than anything.

If they don't track such data, you should be seeking out (read: getting them interested in changing) why they're not. If you're not tracking such data, then you're not providing a basis to identify areas for improvement and therefore likely, are not improving efficiently.

I don't know if that information is tracked by IMPD, but it may be by ISP since they are the record-keepers for the LTCH. Excellent suggestion.

Top Bottom