• ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Tagged because I am interested in your study. Sorry I can not help you. I have never had a poor interaction with law enforcement.

Bung

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2012
    Anderson
    I was disarmed by a Madison County SD last year at Anderson Public Library. I had open-carried in there for a year without issue. Not sure why they decided to get antsy then.

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    A number of years ago, wife was a RN on 3-11 shift when they wheeled in a Sheriff Detective who had an appendicitis attack. She saw the snub nose on his hip, and stopped the gurney on the spot. Told him he wasn't going anywhere with that gun, now give it up. He replied that he was a cop and that was his gun and he wasn't giving it up. She just told him "that's nice', let's see how long you can just stay where you're at. He then wanted to see the Hospital Administrator, she then told him she been appointed that job when the regular one wasn't there. He handed it over, she pointed it at the ceiling, popped open the cylinder, dumped the rounds, put them in her pocket, and told him to come see her when he got discharged. He was surprised that she knew how to do that , she just told him that her husband plays with these kind of toys all the time. By that time there were several people gathered around and all broke out laughing as they pushed him into the operating room. Couple of days later he walks up to the nurses station and asked to retrieve his gun, they go get the wife [gun in locked drug cabinet] and she tells him to load it once he was outside. Later, a local cop [who knew her] dropped by to see a friend of his who was in the hospital and stopped by the station to ask her if he had to leave his sidearm with her while he saw an old friend. She told him to behave himself and there won't be any trouble. She could be a horses a** when she was on duty!

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I have an example of the textbook moving violation stop. From the time lights went on to the time I pulled back onto the side of the road only 5-6 minutes had elapsed. But then a middle-aged mom with 2 kids in the vehicle isn't likely to trigger any spidey senses in and of itself.

Frank, I don't know the scope of your study/research, but if you get enough data to do a comparison between responses to male and female, I would find that intriguing. Even if it's not within the official construct of the study. Just a "Hey, interesting point, males were X times more likely to be stopped in identical/nearly identical situations than females."

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I appreciate all the replies. I have not had a chance to sit down at a real computer and PM those of you that have had interations with officers, but I will soon.

Speaking of which, it just occurred to me that I neglected to congratulate you on the new direction in your career prompting this project.

Congratulations!

fireworks.jpg

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Speaking of which, it just occurred to me that I neglected to congratulate you on the new direction in your career prompting this project.

Congratulations!

fireworks.jpg

Um, thanks? I haven't been promoted, but hope to be by the end of the year. The Leadership Academy is a course to improve oneself and hopefully make them a better leader, but has nothing to do with promotion. I still appreceiate the fireworks, I love fireworks. :)

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I've had several responses, but not nearly as many as I thought I would.

Well, I'd love to help. But most of my interactions are so long ago, I can't remember details.
    There was one officer that swore that the LTCH meant I could only carry in my house, only officers could carry in the streets.
    There was one officer that saw my LTCH, and asked if I was carrying. I told him I had one on the hip, and some in the trunk. He asked how many. The answer was something around 17. The look on his face, priceless.
    But they were 15-20 years ago.

Captain Morgan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2012
    terrible haute
    My focus is on the negative interactions, but I will be referencing positive encounters as well.

Since you'll be referencing positive encounters, I'll share. I was pulled over for speeding a few years ago, not too long after I had begun carrying. I knew Indiana was not a "duty to inform" state, but I was also of the belief I should advise the officer (I had not yet read any horror stories on here). As soon as I saw the lights, I pulled over, rolled down the window, put my hands at 10 and 2 on the steering wheel and sat there waiting. As soon as he walked up to the car, I told him I was licensed to carry and that I was carrying. I told him I'd not been pulled over while carrying before and that I was informing him because I didn't want any surprises. He told me to leave my firearm where it was, and that he'd leave his where it was. He asked for license and registration, I advised license was in wallet in back pocket, so I'd need to reach back to get it. I advised registration was in glove box, so I'd need to reach over to get it. He advised to do so in each case. I gave him drivers license, LTCH and registration. He looked over LTCH, then handed it back to me, retaining driver's license and registration. He returned to his car, wrote a ticket for speeding, returned with my documents and ticket, and that was the end of the stop. This was with Terre Haute PD, in 2010 or 2011.

wizard_of_ahs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Terre Haute
    I also had a positive experience with Terre Haute PD. 2012, while OCing in Kroger (Wabash, as I always do) in the late evening hours, I was approached by an undercover detective. He asked me if that was my personal handgun (DUH !!!!) and was I licensed. I told yes on both counts and he very politely asked to see my pink and ID. I told him "I'll show you mine if you show me yours" !! We went out of the lime light, he presented his ID and I presented mine. He asked me if I would "cover" my weapon with my shirt while in the store as not to "freak out" the customers. Since he was so polite and NOT trying to tell me that THAT was the law, I obliged him. We went our separate ways and as soon as I cleared the store .... back to OC. So there is at least 1 cop in TH with sense :D

I'm sure, being a senior citizen didn't hurt matters either !!! :rockwoot:

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    Frank, I have had two encounters in which I was disarmed by an officer, once by Porter County, and once by ISP. If you are still looking for input, I will be happy to share my experiences with you.

Top Bottom