• Do stacks on pickups serve a purpose?

• Total voters

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    All good points/info. I wouldn't be able to have the aux. fuel cell back there either. It's mostly a trailer puller and does that well enough, but it is used for its bedspace, too.

I don't know how to "roll coal" and doubt I want to set up fuel mixtures for that either. I imagine it's electric fuel controlers, more $.
    This truck is for purpose - not obnoxious hillbilly exhibition. It has a particulate filter that cooks off soot and I think that is why is so amzingly hot at the tip.

It's still going to need exhaust repair before winter. Good-bye M1A fund. It's always something. Shoulda bought a GMC.
    I actually have a friend that took the time to reshape the Corners of the Cab and the Bed and ran Pipes up the outside. Course he drags trailers daily with his truck though...

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I like when they have the tractor caps that pop up and down, but maybe I'm just a redneck. :dunno:

:D

Consensus here is that, yes, you are a redneck. :):

My F150 is bone stock and covered in cigarette burns from the P.O. The 8' bed is for hauling things, no pipes or covers -that'd just get in the way.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Early 1980's:

I knew an old man - my friends grandpa actually - that had dual stacks on a gasoline 2WD GMC short box. Maybe a Silverado? Probably a well optioned Sierri' back then.

That truck never hauled so much as a bag of groceries. It had the snap on bed cover, custom mud flaps, fancy lights on the running boards. Never once saw it in the Michigan snow. It made no sense to me. Not my thing. And my neighborhood wasn't exactly highfalutin, recession was on.

Ex wife had a truck like this one, I swear when I hooked up the side by side jetski trailer I could hear it groan!:laugh:

williamsburg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Oaklandon
    Can't get much more redneck than this, unless of course you put HUGE monster mudder tires on the rear and the correct sized tire on the front of your 2wd 1/2 ton.:rockwoot:

Actually I think you can get more redneck than that. Around town i've seen a diesel double cab dually with stacks and ..... get this .... polished chrome rims and low profile tires.... lowered. Now that is redneck.

williamsburg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Oaklandon
    That sounds more Hispanic to me.
    Actually its a white guy and he is ,I would say, about 35 - 40 years old. I thought it was some young guy when I first seen it.
    I've also seen someone pulling a boat with an old 80's lincoln towncar. But that's another redneck thread in itself.

ETA: The Lincoln is in nice shape looks well taken care of or redone. And it appears the boat is an expensive boat. Just funny seeing a car pull a Nitro Z boat, when everyone else has a truck at the docks.

Last edited:

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Actually its a white guy and he is ,I would say, about 35 - 40 years old. I thought it was some young guy when I first seen it.
    I've also seen someone pulling a boat with an old 80's lincoln towncar. But that's another redneck thread in itself.

If it works and its what they had, nothing wrong with making what you've got work. Not everyone can afford to buy something you think is appropriate and we don't know if they already had the boat.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I'm an engineer with a certain diesel engine manufacturer here in Indiana....so here is my non-professional opinion.

Factory stock exhaust system on trucks are designed to allow the engine to adequately perform as necessary. Once the engine has been modified by the owner, such as to make more power, he may need to increase the exhaust size to help deal with the added airflow. Typically that is something in the 4" diameter range.

Pipes on trucks can help reduce the exhaust restriction and thus help improve engine performance. However, most of what you see on the road is all for show. Standard semi tractor pipes are usually 6", and sometimes 8", and that is for an engine 2.5 times the displacement (and thus airflow) of a pick-up truck engine.

So...you do the math, but just for looks. Kinda the same thing as the guy with the pimped out rice-burner with a 1.8L engine, a 2" exhaust from the header back, and then a 4" can on the muffler. Just for looks.

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    While driving to work this morning I had the pleasure of
    following a Diesel pickup with Cummins turbo stickers
    covering the entire rear window and running a set of stacks.
    He apparently had his fuel set to "smog"....... :rolleyes:

Just one question..

Do stacks on pickups serve a purpose or are they merely cosmetic?

This weeks irrelevant friday thread brought to you by printcraft.

They remind me of some of the kids you see running around in Honda Civics with over-size glass-pack mufflers and a huge wing on the trunk lid. (Turns that front-wheel-drive 4 cylinder into one baaad machine!)

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Actually I think you can get more redneck than that. Around town i've seen a diesel double cab dually with stacks and ..... get this .... polished chrome rims and low profile tires.... lowered. Now that is redneck.

If it also has air lifts, it might be one of those new Obama-mobiles. Trying to identify with everybody, and looking totally stupid trying to do so. :rolleyes:

92LX

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    I personally think stack are pointless (except the case of livestock). I drive a diesel, but work out of mine and won't even put in a tool box to save the bed space. Also don't want soot all over the stuff I haul.

Now a nice 4" exhaust to replace the stocker, that I might be interested in.:D

Top Bottom