• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BrockStrader22

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 21, 2021
    Covington, IN
    I lived near STL for 5 years, that was 6 years ago but at least back then it really wasn't as bad as everyone makes it sound. If you park downtown park in a garage and your car will most likely not get broken into, you'll probably see homeless people sleeping in the garage if its night, they aren't gonna bother you. Homeless will ask for money on the downtown streets but if you say no they'll leave you alone. Constitutional carry so you'll be just fine carrying. Pretty sure union station where the aquarium is does have metal detectors. Be prepared to spend a lot of money to hang out at the aquarium and union station. All the areas you're talking about are tourist areas, the crime typically doesn't happen there. Someone mentioned East St Louis, it's bad but they don't want anything to do with you, they want their rivals, but really you would have no reason to go there unless you are looking for a strip club or bar open after 3 am. I'd be more concerned of getting robbed in North St Louis than East. There's gonna be thousands of people around Busch, the Arch, Union Station, and anywhere else around there, most of them are tourists just looking to have fun just like you, I'm sure there's a few bad apples mixed in but chances are you won't encounter them. I spent a lot of time downtown in my 20s and usually wasn't making the best decisions, never had an issue. The city is pretty stretched out so you'll probably be doing a lot of walking unless you want to pay a lot of parking, there's cabs, ubers and lyfts everywhere though.

Last edited:

Honey_and_Vinegar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    GREENFIELD
    I lived near STL for 5 years, that was 6 years ago but at least back then it really wasn't as bad as everyone makes it sound. If you park downtown park in a garage and your car will most likely not get broken into, you'll probably see homeless people sleeping in the garage if its night, they aren't gonna bother you. Homeless will ask for money on the downtown streets but if you say no they'll leave you alone. Constitutional carry so you'll be just fine carrying. Pretty sure union station where the aquarium is does have metal detectors. Be prepared to spend a lot of money to hang out at the aquarium and union station. All the areas you're talking about are tourist areas, the crime typically doesn't happen there. Someone mentioned East St Louis, it's bad but they don't want anything to do with you, they want their rivals, but really you would have no reason to go there unless you are looking for a strip club or bar open after 3 am. I'd be more concerned of getting robbed in North St Louis than East. There's gonna be thousands of people around Busch, the Arch, Union Station, and anywhere else around there, most of them are tourists just looking to have fun just like you, I'm sure there's a few bad apples mixed in but chances are you won't encounter them. I spent a lot of time downtown in my 20s and usually wasn't making the best decisions, never had an issue. The city is pretty stretched out so you'll probably be doing a lot of walking unless you want to pay a lot of parking, there's cabs, ubers and lyfts everywhere though.
    Appreciate the advice. I tend to only be around the tourist areas. Not going to East St. Louis and not planning on being out late. Mostly just general tourist stuff.

I work downtown Indy, and encounter homeless all the time so that part doesn't really bother me.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    My hotel is about 0.8 miles from Busch Stadium. I was planning on walking there and walking back. Would you recommend that I not walk and just drive there instead?
    No you will walk more than that from the parking lot to the stadium. Downtown is well policed I did see a guy beat up a parking meter one time.

If you visit the main tourist areas Zoo, Arch, Stadium, Aquarium and restaurants in those areas it will be ok.

I suggest carrying you go to town handgun 15+ rounds with a backup mag.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I was at Union station by the aquarium a few weeks ago. I did not feel ill at ease. Lot of police and security around. I did not leave Union Station as I was there for a conference. I did not see any metal detectors anywhere.

Honey_and_Vinegar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    GREENFIELD
    I was at Union station by the aquarium a few weeks ago. I did not feel ill at ease. Lot of police and security around. I did not leave Union Station as I was there for a conference. I did not see any metal detectors anywhere.
    When you say that you felt uneasy, do you mean just because of all the security there?

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    This brings up something I have thought about over the years. IL is not a "must inform state". However, if asked by a LEO in IL, you must disclose the fact that you have a weapon. Does the standard "is there anything I need to know about" qualify for informing?

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I'll add this. Fuel before you leave Indiana and then drive straight through IL, DO NOT STOP. Drive the speed limit in IL and pay attention to the speed limits in construction zones.
    9 over and you're fine in Illinois. Keep Waze on and you'll be notified of the cops who sit in the median as you get closer to STL, around Greenville and Highland IL.

I counted 10 my last trip, in about a 15 mile stretch!

Top Bottom