St. John Indiana trying to use scare-tactics?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte
    Off course the chief was pissed. Your from northern lake county (worse yet Hammond I think) and they don't want your kind (anyone north of US-30 especially punks from ec/Hammond or gary) SOUTH of US-30 period!

Your encounter would have been worse had you been of the darker skin.

It seem to be a lake county thing. The Hammond chief won't sign form 4's for silencers, machine guns, etc unless he knows you or your older then 50, so most guys have to go the Trust route! I have heard of harassment from Hammond Munster, and St. John for OC-ing. They are outta control!:xmad:

xamsx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    NW
    What is it with this town???

I'm glad my family and I moved out of St. John years ago. Granted, I'm still next door (Schererville), but I try to keep out of that town as much as possible. It's known around the area that the police there are generally jerk-offs, for the most part.. That's speaking from some personal encounters with them, as well as stories from friends', too.

Plenty of documented issues with the St. John police department. I'd stop just shy of stating that they are actively engaging in a campaign of misinformation to intimidate gun owners.

Carry as you wish. Know your rights and know how to articulate them without sounding threatening.

+1. The PD there is a cesspool of misinformation.

Exactly.

Ahhh ... the old OC vs. CC debate ... better saved for another? thread. :D

:):

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    Here's how I'd write it:

Chief (name)

Recently, an acquaintance of mine went to apply for his License To Carry Handgun through your department. While there, he wanted to verify some information regarding Open Carry and Conceal Carry. He was politely told by (insert person’s name or staff position) that Open Carry is illegal.

What concerns me is the misinformation that is being given to the public of Saint John. While (insert person’s name or staff position) may not be an actual law enforcement officer, she is an agent of the department. People generally have full faith in the advice they receive from the police department, whether it is from an officer or an agent of the department.

As I am sure you are aware, handgun Open Carry and Conceal Carry are both legal in this state with a
    LTCH. Indiana state law makes no mention as to how a person carries a firearm.

I, and my fellow LTCH carriers, would appreciate you informing your staff on the current Indiana Codes regarding carrying of firearms, with emphasis on the legality of Open Carry of handguns.

I understand you are an extremely busy person, and I thank you for your time on this issue. I am looking forward to your response.

Sincerely,
    As stated in the letter, he is very busy. That is why I butchered it.

Last edited:

clgustaveson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    ^ great I would give rep for this but I can't!

I think as many people as possible should aid in this letter writing to help gain the attention of this "ticked off" chief...

I will write one up, I will also include a Christmas card.

TJSieling

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Indianapolis - West Side
    I noticed something a little odd, by my standards anyway, which are bad enough as it is :n00b:

While a letter is being drafted to be sent to the Chief in St. John, people here are saying that they are trying to, or just avoid, St. John altogether. First, I think OC event there.

Second thought: Why avoid a place that is trying to control our constitutional rights because they have a bur up the butt about it? Shouldn't we be visiting there a little more often to kind of say "Hey, we know what you're saying, and you're wrong"?

I'm going to take a look at where exactly St. John is and spend a weekend day there. Carry around a copy of the IC that says nothing about OC vs. CC, and then they won't have much of a choice but to facepalm themselves and go catch someone who really needs to be caught, instead of harassing me.

*Que the person who says "you won't be harassed if you just don't go!" :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Archaic_Entity

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    I noticed something a little odd, by my standards anyway, which are bad enough as it is :n00b:

While a letter is being drafted to be sent to the Chief in St. John, people here are saying that they are trying to, or just avoid, St. John altogether. First, I think OC event there.

Second thought: Why avoid a place that is trying to control our constitutional rights because they have a bur up the butt about it? Shouldn't we be visiting there a little more often to kind of say "Hey, we know what you're saying, and you're wrong"?

I'm going to take a look at where exactly St. John is and spend a weekend day there. Carry around a copy of the IC that says nothing about OC vs. CC, and then they won't have much of a choice but to facepalm themselves and go catch someone who really needs to be caught, instead of harassing me.

*Que the person who says "you won't be harassed if you just don't go!" :rolleyes:

While I may not be a huge proponent of "sticking it" to the cops, I must emphatically agree with this post.

The way I look at it, if we allow them to enforce their own incorrect interpretation of the law then it becomes common place, no longer contested, and they will push for harsher "laws."

Remember, most people are almost 100% ignorant about guns and gun rights. They assume the media and cops know right, which is why we're so often correcting them on issues such as open carry, ability to transport guns to and from ranges without LTCHs, and so forth. The best possible recourse is to be an informative public ourselves. OC marches and OC events do help press this matter, especially when a place is very anti-gun.

If you force them into stating something clearly wrong, you provide the contrary statement and they have to acknowledge it then they do lose. If you're also informing the public at the same time then you succeed more than that.

The thing that I would keep in mind, however, is that it won't be 100% successful until it has a lasting, residual effect. The best way to ensure that happens is to make the venues in which people are their "information" begin to be corrective. That is to say, the media and/or cops start saying something about OC and having to admit the legality. To that point, I would definitely consider bringing every transgression made against people who do carry to the authorities and constantly force the proper channels to get it into their heads what is legal. That goes for both Bill and Andy and anyone else who has dealt with this kind of issue.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    It seem to be a lake county thing. The Hammond chief won't sign form 4's for silencers, machine guns, etc unless he knows you or your older then 50, so most guys have to go the Trust route! I have heard of harassment from Hammond Munster, and St. John for OC-ing. They are outta control!:xmad:

It is but that is in part becuase of the menatlity that seeps from across the state line. *cough* City of Chicago *cough* and the fact that we are talking about an urban/sub-urban area. It seems that the more people you put together in a small area the more "crazy" it gets. IE. Bloomington is another anti-gun place. Granted not all of LAKE COUNTY is anti-gun but it does tilt more than way. Hum... Also looks like the more blue (democrat) you are the more anti-gun the place is. Hum? :dunno:

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Send your letter to the mayor and city council. Let the police chief get it because the mayor's staff hands it to him.

The police chief has a job. He's going to do his job as he sees fit, unless told to do it otherwise. If / when the time comes the mayor wants him replaced, he goes back to his old position on the force. Not a grain of skin off his nose that you don't like his rule. The mayor and council on the other hand are up for job renewal. They don't want pissed off voters.

Finally, you need to get the name of someone at the PD and put in your letter.

My letter would read as follows:

Dear Mayor ...,

I am a St John's resident. Recently an acquaintance of mine purchased a handgun for his personal protection. As required by law in order to carry his handgun, he applied for a license to carry a handgun with the St John's Police Department. He was informed by the St John's Police that open carrying (carrying a hand gun in such a way as to be visible) is against state law, and that only concealed carry (handgun hidden from view) was the only permissible mode of carry allowed in Indiana. Anecdotally, I have heard the same statement attributed to the police department from other St John's residents.

To verify for myself, I contacted the St John's Police on (date) at (time) and spoke with (PD Contact). I asked if open carry was allowed in St John's. His (her) response was that it was not, and the only type of handgun carry permitted was concealed.

This is simply untrue. Indiana law permits open carrying of handguns. I am not sure why the police have taken the position that open carry is illegal. As someone who open carries a handgun, I am concerned that I could be confronted by the police in the future while carrying my handgun consistent with and within the spirit and letter of Indiana law.

Thank you for your time. My goal, which I am sure you share, is to improve the safety and security of all law abiding residents and visitors to St John's.

Sincerely,

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    Chief (name)

Recently, an acquaintance of mine went to apply for his License To Carry Handgun through your department. While there, he was politely told by (insert person’s name or staff position) that Open Carry is illegal.

I am concerned that misinformation is being given to the public of Saint John. While (insert person’s name or staff position) may not be an actual law enforcement officer, she is an agent of the department. People generally have full faith in the advice they receive from the police department, whether it is from an officer or an agent of the department.

As you know, handgun Open Carry and Conceal Carry are both legal in this state with a LTCH. Indiana state law makes no mention as to how a person carries a firearm.

I, and my fellow LTCH carriers, would appreciate you informing your staff on the current Indiana Codes regarding carrying of firearms, with emphasis on the legality of Open Carry of handguns.

I thank you for your time on this issue. I am looking forward to your response.

Sincerely,

Pared it down a little more. Leaner is better.

Top Bottom