St. John Indiana trying to use scare-tactics?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    I was under the impression that if you lived in city limits, you had to apply through city PD. Outside of city limits, you go through County Sheriffs office.

I tell people to go to the police department that will be responding to their home on a 911 call. That is who is going to take care of your license

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    @CTC B4Z and localone

Not sure if you know about the NWI INGO group.

---
    NWI INGO MEMBERS

Get the latest news by joining the NWI INGO group here:
    INGunOwners - Northwest Indiana

UPCOMING EVENTS
    Every Wed: Lunch, Cigars, and Guns @ Pine Island Pit Stop Cigar Lounge
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ne_island_pit_stop_cigar_lounge_part_2_a.html

Appleseed for NWI

2 Day Courses
    Sand Burr Gun Ranch: Calendar
    11-12 DEC 2010 @ Sand Burr, Rochester, IN
    19-20 MAR 2011 @ Sand Burr, Rochester, IN
    02-03 APR 2011 @ Sand Burr, Rochester, IN

Keep this post for uncoming info & updates
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/appleseed/107083-new_ranges_coming_to_eventbright.html

NEED YOUR HELP
    List of ranges in NWI; Is your range here?:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break_room/106004-nwi_ingo_general_post-3.html#post1252132

Pro-Gun & Anti-Gun Stores in NWI:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...un_and_anti-gun_stores_northwest_indiana.html

OTHER INFO
    A Guide to Protecting Your Rights: What to do when LEO stop you and your are carrying.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...what_to_do_when_leo_stops_you.html#post915009

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    Plenty of documented issues with the St. John police department. I'd stop just shy of stating that they are actively engaging in a campaign of misinformation to intimidate gun owners.

Carry as you wish. Know your rights and know how to articulate them without sounding threatening.

+1. The PD there is a cesspool of misinformation.

Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN
    Just got off the phone with my uncle, he should be receiving his LTCH in a couple weeks. He said the lady he spoke with was very polite, but she insisted OC is illegal. He asked if she had something that showed it was illegal. She said she used to, but didn't have it anymore. She also said she gets the OC question all the time and always has to correct people. I'm getting ready to take my dog to the vet, later I'll post a rough draft on here that I intend to send to the chief to inform him of the misinformation that his staff is giving out. So later tonight look for a rough draft of a letter, I'll tweak it per suggestions the send it over to the chief and patiently await a reply that I will share with you all.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    This may help with the lady clerk and/or your letter.

http://www.in.gov/isp/files/2010_Firearms_licensing_FAQs(1).pdf

[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]Does Indiana statute require me to carry the handgun on my person concealed or[/FONT]
    [FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]exposed?[/FONT]
    Indiana law is silent on this issue; however, carrying an exposed weapon in public may
    alarm some people. Also, the right to carry a firearm may be restricted on private
    property and businesses by the owners. Be attentive for signs warning of restricted
    areas when carrying firearms into public places. If approached by law enforcement for
    official business such as traffic stops or complaint related inquiries, it is recommended
    that you tell the officer in a non-threatening manner that you are carrying a weapon or
    have a weapon in the vehicle and that you have a valid permit. A law enforcement
    officer does have the right to inspect the permit.

:hijack:
    The Q&A right before the one above was something new to me.
    The Q is about an non-resident with a firearm permit/license from somewhere else (ie. another state) and what they can/cannot do.

The answer goes on to say that they must follow the laws of their home state while in IN. So if say you are from TX and you have a CC permit. You can NOT OC but must CC while in IN! The example they give is:
    If you cannot carry on your person in your vehicle in
    your home state, then do not do so in Indiana.

Wow did not know this.

Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN
    Ok here is a rough draft of what I will send to the chief. Tear it up if you must, Give me ideas on what to add or minus. Grammar nazis are welcom too. I do want to keep the corrispondence polite. I need spell check.

:dunno:Here goes:

Fred A. Frego
    Cheif, Saint John Police Dept.

Dear Sir,

I am writing to you as a concerned Indiana citizen. Recently an aquantence of mine called me concerning the gun laws of our state. He and his wife were concerned about some of the crimes that have been taking place in the area. He aslo inquired on safety, functioning and training about firearms. I went with him to help him choose a firearm then took him to the range to give him a basic understanding of his weapon. I then pointed him to the direction of some more formal training and discussed the firearm laws pertaining to our state. I explained to him that he needed to apply and recieve a LTCH before he would be allowed to transport his firearm to a range or classroom to fully conform with the laws. I explained the do's and don'ts of carrying along with the where and where not to carry.

Recently he went to apply for his LTCH through your department, while there he wanted to verify some information that I explained to him. Basically regarding OC(open carry) and CC(conceal carry). He was told in no uncertain terms that OC was and is illegal and that the question is raised alot by the citizens of Saint John. Although he did state that this lady was very polite and not rude at all. What concerns me is the misinformation that is being given to the public of Saint John, and while this lady may not be an actual law enforcement officer, she is an agent of the department. And people generally have full faith in the advice they recieve from the police department whether it be from and officer or an agent of that department.

As I am sure you are aware, OC and CC, are both legal in this state with an LTCH. Indiana state law makes no mention as to how or where on their body a person carries a firearm. Indiana does not issue a CCW (concealed carry weapon) permit, they issue an LTCH (license to carry handgun).

I'd like to thank you for you time, I understand you are an extremely busy person. I would like to know if you would be able to pass the word on to both your officers and agents of your department that OC is not illegal, that it is perfectly legal with an LTCH. As I believe this information when relyaed to the public will help to continue the publics trust and support for their local polcie department. Once again, thank you for your time. I am looking forward to your response to this matter.

Sincerly,

Andy219

Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN
    This may help with the lady clerk and/or your letter.

http://www.in.gov/isp/files/2010_Firearms_licensing_FAQs(1).pdf

:hijack:
    The Q&A right before the one above was something new to me.
    The Q is about an non-resident with a firearm permit/license from somewhere else (ie. another state) and what they can/cannot do.

The answer goes on to say that they must follow the laws of their home state while in IN. So if say you are from TX and you have a CC permit. You can NOT OC but must CC while in IN! The example they give is:
    If you cannot carry on your person in your vehicle in
    your home state, then do not do so in Indiana.

Wow did not know this.

I couldnt get the link to work in the email, I am still going to try to add it. Thanks for that, I seen that before and knew I wanted to add it to the letter, now I can but jsut dont have to search for it... your the best. :ingo:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Just a grammer/spelling edit for now.

I am writing to you as a concerned Indiana citizen. Recently an acquaintance of mine called me concerning the gun laws of our state. He and his wife were concerned about some of the crimes that have been taking place in the area. He also inquired on safety, functioning and training about firearms. I went with him to help him choose a firearm then took him to the range to give him a basic understanding of his weapon. I then pointed him to the direction of some more formal training and discussed the firearm laws pertaining to our state. I explained to him that he needed to apply and receive a LTCH (spell it out 1st time) before he would be allowed to transport his firearm to a range or classroom to fully conform with the laws. I explained the do's and don'ts of carrying along with the where and where not to carry.

Recently he went to apply for his LTCH through your department, while there he wanted to verify some information that I explained to him. Basically regarding OC (open carry) and CC (conceal carry). He was told in no uncertain terms that OC was and is illegal and that the question is raised a lot by the citizens of Saint John. Although he did state that this lady was very polite and not rude at all. What concerns me is the misinformation that is being given to the public of Saint John, and while this lady may not be an actual law enforcement officer, she is an agent of the department. [STRIKE]And p[/STRIKE]People generally have full faith in the advice they receive from the police department whether it be from and officer or an agent of that department.

As I am sure you are aware, OC and CC, are both legal in this state with an LTCH. Indiana state law makes no mention as to how or where on their body a person carries a firearm. Indiana does not issue a CCW (concealed carry weapon) permit, they issue an LTCH (license to carry handgun).

I'd like to thank you for your time, I understand you are an extremely busy person. I would like to know if you would be able to pass the word on to both your officers and agents of your department that OC is not illegal, that it is perfectly legal with an LTCH. As I believe this information when relayed to the public will help to continue the public’s trust and support for their local police department. Once again, thank you for your time. I am looking forward to your response to this matter.

Sincerely,

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    I'll keep checking this thread myself. I live in St. John and am very interested in what is going on here. I haven't had a negative experience ... yet. Then again, I don't OC (for tactical reasons) but 100% support my OC bretheren.

Andy219, keep us posted and get your dad on INGO. We'd like to say hello.

From the training I've had, the tactical advantage is to open carry in condition 0.

Last edited:

Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN
    Wow I haven't seen that many errors since my formal edumacation in the world famous Chicago public schools. That's what I get fit being up for 38 hours and highly medicated. Thank you for the corrections.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Wow I haven't seen that many errors since my formal edumacation in the world famous Chicago public schools. That's what I get fit being up for 38 hours and highly medicated. Thank you for the corrections.
    Now put the letter on hold for 24 hours & do NOT think about it.
    Come back and re-read it and work on your 2nd draft which may end up not looking like this one at all! That will ensure you get all the "emotions" out of the way.

Ahhh ... the old OC vs. CC debate ... better saved for another thread. :D

Agree! Or just point them to the various thread that are still open with hundreds of post. :faint:

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    ... Agree! Or just point them to the various thread that are still open with hundreds of post. :faint:

There are thousands of those and they multiply exponentially. I think they eventually come down to "you like chocolate and I like vanilla." A good case could be made for both sides with ancedotal evidence for each.

Top Bottom