• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Punisher270

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    Has anybody gone out yet for squirrel? My usual places are Wilbur wright, Morgan Monroe, and atterbury fish and wildlife area. Goin out Saturday early morning to Morgan Monroe with a buddy, got some nice grays there last year and looking to do it again. Do most of you hunt with a shotgun in the early season?

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    We finally made it out Tuesday. You can read all about our little adventure here if you wish, I'm too tired to bother retyping it right now:
    Hoosier Gun Club

Cathy and I are headed out tomorrow morning after we drop the boy off at school. He's handling not getting to go pretty well :) Last time out, Cathy took her Marlin Model 60, I took my 10/22, Sean took his Mossberg Super Bantam Youth 500 20 gauge. Tomorrow morning, Cathy is taking her Marlin, this time I'm taking my 870. Gotta make sure mine share field time, can't have 'em getting all jealous with each other :D Besides, the shotgun is tailor made for where I plan to sit. Racoon SRA for us!

I hate picking pellets out of the critters, but with all the leaves, many shots are close and fast. A scoped .22 is at a disadvantage sometimes.

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Went opening day and Wednesday eve with no success. Saw them everywhere but in the woods. Using Marlin 917 with Baraska scope. May break out old man Iver single 12 this weekend.

Happy hunting.

Punisher270

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    Went opening day and Wednesday eve with no success. Saw them everywhere but in the woods. Using Marlin 917 with Baraska scope. May break out old man Iver single 12 this weekend.

Happy hunting.

Had one of those marlin 917s myself, an accurate gun and absolutely killer for headshots on squirrels from FAR away. Sold it awhile ago, and regret it ever since:(

POC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 17, 2010
    West Baden, IN
    I've recently given up on iron sights for use for myself. My sight picture looks like; I can keep the target in focus, and the front post, but the back site it just a big fuzzy blob. I can't tell where I am in the "V". I have ordered parts to put a scope on my old Stevens. I have a scope on my even older Savage, but it is a single .22 and has ejector problems, sometimes I have to use a knife or screwdriver to get the shell out. I'm not sure if it is an ejector problem, or if the chamber is enlarged, or just dirty...who knows!
    I did just buy my nephew a Marlin 60 and put a simple 4x15 scope on it. I haven't dialed it in yet, but maybe I could do that early in the morning and take it out for a "test run". :biggrin:

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    Had one of those marlin 917s myself, an accurate gun and absolutely killer for headshots on squirrels from FAR away. Sold it awhile ago, and regret it ever since:(

I traded mine off this winter and still wish i had it. one of the most accurate rifles i have shot out to 300 yrds. im looking for another though.

As far as squirrel hunting this year so far, out twice and nothing yet. I think its been too hot latley. the skeeters are sure out and about though. Almost over-welming.

davers

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Squirrel Season starts tomorrow (Aug. 21st) here in Ky. Went out to look for Squirrels this morning and saw four. They are just starting to cut on hickory nuts.

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    Tomorrow is the first day I will have off from work since season opened. Can't wait, going out with my son first thing in the morning. Still trying to decide what gun to take. I usually hunt with a 77/22 early season, but I just finished a 10/22 build that is deadly accurate. Might have to take out the 10/22.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    We finally made it out Tuesday. You can read all about our little adventure here if you wish, I'm too tired to bother retyping it right now:
    Hoosier Gun Club

FYI - You may not realize that it is restricted to people who aren't sign in. Quoting that in a post here wouldn't take much work. I'm not going to sign up for yet another board to read it. (On too many already. :) )

Even though it is hot, I wouldn't mind going out tomorrow. But it looks like I'm on call all weekend. Lovely.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    So they were all hosting Bot fly larvae? Ungh... did you make sure to eliminate the larvae or just leave them feeding on the carcass?

I just tossed them on the ground for nature to do with the 2 I killed as she chooses to do with the thousands I didn't.

Last edited:

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    I just tossed on the ground for nature to do with the 2 I killed as she chooses to do with the thousands I didn't.

Yeah, I didn't really mean anything, I just hate botfly's and their larvae... anything that lives under your skin feeding off of your tissue just fkin creeps me out.

....adding a few pic's to show people who may not have seen these things....

sqcut1a.jpg

sqctrmcp.jpg

wrbpex2s.jpg

Last edited:

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Skunked again :( Saw 7, all of them with easy range of my 10/22. Sadly, today I had taken the shotgun LOL.

Cathy shot at one, looked like a solid hit, but the critter crawled into a mess of downed trees, vines, and briars before she could shoot it again. Tried to find it, couldn't even get into the mess.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Maybe a .22mag pistol with your shot gun. I usually only take my rifle, cause using the shot gun just isn't fair.....

I do intend to do some hunting with my boy's 22/45, but that will be in conjunction with my 10/22. I just didn't see much sense in taking the pistol today, since my effective range with shotgun or handgun is pretty much the same.

Top Bottom