• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Yeah, I didn't really mean anything, I just hate botfly's and their larvae... anything that lives under your skin feeding off of your tissue just fkin creeps me out.

....adding a few pic's to show people who may not have seen these things....

Yep, their nasty. It's too frigging hot and buggy to be hunting right now any way. I'd rather fish, weather's just right for that now.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Maybe a .22mag pistol with your shot gun. I usually only take my rifle, cause using the shot gun just isn't fair.....

i've missed a couple with a shotgun before and im not a beginner by any means. im sure they took some pellets, but they got to cover quickly. its amazing how flat a squirell can get on a branch when hes being shot at :):

i think the shotgun is plenty fair. if anything the rifle isnt fair. its just like pickin corn

POC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 17, 2010
    West Baden, IN
    When I was a kid I had a 20ga Stevens SS I'd use for squirrels. I hit many with it that didn't fall out of the tree, and yes they can get flat, and it's amazing how fast they can move through the trees.
    I'm surprised I didn't shoot myself or at least break a leg, running through the woods shooting and reloading that gun without taking my eyes off the squirrel running through the trees.
    My dad wouldn't let me hunt by myself with a rifle when I was a kid. He said he didn't want me hurt with a bullet in me, at least a shot gun would probably kill me.... :dunno: I think he just didn't know if I'd keep my head about me with relation to where the neighbors houses were.

Squirrel Dog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Use several .22"s during the season. Like to change back and forth. I used to really enjoy still hunting but now unless one of my squirrel dogs trees it I don't shoot it. Now more about enjoying the dog work than how many squirrels I get. So far in my area this year numbers look pretty good and mast crop good as well.

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    Went out last Tuesday. Still too hot, too many mosquitos still around. I only hunt squirrel with a rifle. It's too easy with a shotty! Hunt my own property, plenty of Greys running around. Dad got one and I just watched one run around about 50 yards off. Way the weather is going, might be Mid-Sept. for it cools off enough for good hunting.

Cain71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Columbus
    Killed 4 on Sat morning, frying them for supper as I post, good eating.
    And yes I did use a shotgun, a H&R topper Jr. 28 gauge.

fureater46902

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    I need advice

So I have always enjoyed the rare treat of squrrel from time to time when someone has it. I would like to go get my own tree rats. Has anyone gone hunting in missinawa for them? Also I have never gone hunting myself... so im looking for hunting etiquette and tips. I have firearms expierance and training but it has all been target and tatical shooting. I was planning to use a .22lr. Is that a good gun to use since the animal is so small? and where is the best place to shoot the animal (head, Lungs, or somewhere else). Thanks im a novice to hunting.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    The .22 is a great choice for squirrel. Accurate, and doesn't blow the poor little thing up, leaving you meat to eat. I usually shoot for the heart/lung area. It's a more sure shot, a less than perfect shot is more likely to still vitals hit and deliver a quick kill, or at least anchor it long enough to deliver a fatal follow up. The head is a smaller target, and they are often looking around. I tend to pass on them unless they are sitting really still, and winds are calm.

Downside to the heart/lung shot is you'll lose some meat. The bugger can also sometimes run a little way before dying, even with a solid hit. Squirrels are tough critters. Downside to a headshot is that if you miss, you run the risk of inflicting a wound that is not immediately fatal (such as blowing off the nose or lower jaw,) leading to a lost animal that is doomed to a slow and painful death.

Avoid gut shots at all costs. You'll ruin the meat (IF you recover the animal) and they are not quickly incapacitating.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    I went opening day and got a limit.
    Its just to dang hot rite now. I used a mossberg .22lr with CCI velocitors..which is a wicked little rounds for the .22lr. I usually put the cross hairs rite on their neck where the base of the neck meets the shoulder..if I shoot to far forward I'll get a head shot,miss to the rear Ill hit the main vitals. I had one opening day that I shot way to far towards the rear but slowed it down enough that I was able to put another in the head.
    DSCF0597.jpg

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    whats the best way to clean them... never done that before...

I put a slit in the fur rite in the center of the back..just big enough to get 2 or 3 fingers in on both side of the slit and then pull the fur in opposite directions and peel the fur away from the meat..chop the feet off and head then cut the belly open and yank out the innards..also split the pelvis open and make sure ya clean that out real well as there is almost alway poo stuck in there.:rolleyes:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    We are hoping to head out again in the morning, if the rain will hold off. Temps should be wonderful, and the critters can be active just before storms.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    We are hoping to head out again in the morning, if the rain will hold off. Temps should be wonderful, and the critters can be active just before storms.

Great call on this strategy, the calm before the storm is definitely active! Also the breezes keep the skeeters down.

If I wasn't meeting a real estate agent for some showings tomorrow, I'd be out chasing them myself. Actually considering sneakig out around 4am to slide down to atterbury for a couple hours before our meeting... hmmm....

Spanky46151

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Martinsville
    Taken my boy out 3 times, only seen 1 total. Can't seem to find what they're cuttin' on. I don't even seen them running across the roads as I normally do. Wonder if the population is way down? Maybe heat & dry have caused them all to move toward water? Oddest year I've ever chased bushytails and I've got 4 score of experience.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I missed one yesterday. He was started moving, then did a 180 on me. I guess he decided that the vehicle doing 60 mph would probably smash him. :)

Top Bottom