• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I personally would be a little concerned about not sending it back. I am irritated it is taking so long and the way the company is handling it. However, I would be far more concerned about having a malfunction that hurt someone. I figure it will take some time for them to resolve the issue. I purchased a new Ruger because of that, but I believe that they will fix them and return them. At that point I will put a few hundred rounds through it and then start carrying it again.
    I am slightly concerned about not sending it back. But much more concerned about MY property being kept for who knows how long, by a company that doesn't have a fix yet, and refuses to compensate their customers, or even answer their questions!

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    They updated their website today. The only change they made says customers can't get refunds for recalled firearms. THANKS SPRINGFIELD!

No refunds and no solution in a timely manner = class action suit! Hmmm?

Do you guys expect a refund on a vehicle that has had a recall or several?

Damn people, just calm down and relax. Guns are pieces of equipment, sometimes things mess up and they need fixed.

Let's just say there is truly a safety issue and a lot of them are slam firing or they run on when shot. Would you rather have an unsafe paperweight sitting at your house or it somewhere where it fill get fixed?

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Do you guys expect a refund on a vehicle that has had a recall or several?

Damn people, just calm down and relax.

Let's just say there is truly a safety issue and a lot of them are slam firing or they run on when shot. ?
    except, that hasn't happened as far as we know! All we want is better communication!

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    except, that hasn't happened as far as we know! All we want is better communication!

They're working on a solution. That should be good enough for now. Just imagine the sheer volume of firearms that they have to inspect and go over. They have to decide how they'll inspect them, either be serial number order or just first come first serve. They have to enter the pistols in their system, they have to find the place to put the things. They have individuals' and dealers' pistols which raises the question if dealers should get their guns back first, if individuals should, or whichever other means.

Then if they tell people how the firearms are going to be looked at (order wise), some will be happy, but most people will be more pissed because their pistol isn't the first one getting sent back.

Maybe they're just a bit overwhelmed? Plus imagine the people calling in daily flooding the phones asking the same question over and over again: Do you have my gun fixed? Why not? When will it be fixed? Etc? Etc? Etc?

It's like people calling ATK, Winchester, Remington day after day wondering where the hell the 22 ammo is and being accused of selling all the ammo to the gummerment.

They're just overwhelmed and at times the best communication is no communication. Be patient

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I think the biggest issue is that Springfield wasn't upfront in the beginning and everyone was under the assumption that a fix was already hashed out and ready to go when they enacted the recall in the first place.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    They're working on a solution. They led us to believe there was a solution in place at the start of the recall. That should be good enough for now. Just imagine the sheer volume of firearms that they have to inspect and go over. This is a blanket recall, they are replacing parts in every gun, not inspecting them to see if they need parts, at least that's what we were told at the beginning. They have to decide how they'll inspect them, either be serial number order or just first come first serve. They stated first in first out at the start of the recall. They have to enter the pistols in their system, they have to find the place to put the things. They have individuals' and dealers' pistols which raises the question if dealers should get their guns back first, if individuals should, or whichever other means.

Then if they tell people how the firearms are going to be looked at (order wise), some will be happy, but most people will be more pissed because their pistol isn't the first one getting sent back. They failed at their first in first out system as well. The pistols were checked in and signed for from FedEx then moved somewhere else and left there for a few days. After a large amount of them were gathered they were grabbed at random and entered into the system. The day your pistol was received does not hold your place in line. If you check your FedEx tracking number you can see when your gun was signed for, day and time. Call them and ask what day your gun went into the repair system to be logged for repair. If you sent your gun in the first week (mine was on the first truck of the first day after recall was issued) then these days will not be the same.

Maybe they're just a bit overwhelmed? They knew how many of these things the company sold. When a company sends out a panic notice telling customers the product is dangerous, stop using it immediately and return it for service, what do you expect? They should have been prepared for this before they issued FedEx slips. Plus imagine the people calling in daily flooding the phones asking the same question over and over again: Do you have my gun fixed? Why not? When will it be fixed? Etc? Etc? Etc? Springfield has stated they've hired more people for this recall. The ones answering the phones aren't the ones working on the guns.

It's like people calling ATK, Winchester, Remington day after day wondering where the hell the 22 ammo is and being accused of selling all the ammo to the gummerment. Totally different thing not at all related.

They're just overwhelmed and at times the best communication is no communication. Wrong. Be patient

Again, it's not the amount of time the recall is taking, although that's unacceptable as well. It's the fact we, the customers who make or break their business, have been lied to throughout this process. Communication is very lacking or non existent. Many people have sent numerous email with either no response or some automated response that doesn't address any questions asked. I've had specific questions since this whole thing started that still aren't answered, after over two dozen emails, all besides 2 of them unread and not responded to. I got read receipts for the 2 that got answered, albeit with canned generic responses to see the FAQ. Nothing for any of the others. These emails went CC to 3 different addresses within Springfield, the general recall email address and 2 individual employee address who've responded to me in the past.

I understand things break, mistakes are made, design flaws come out in time, etc. It's how these thing are handled that make a company great or poor. I have no problem owning, keeping or carrying a firearm that's had a recall done properly. That's not the case with Springfield anymore. The way they've handled this situation shows that they are irresponsible when it comes to customer service and relations. They are under so much pressure right now to find a solution (which should have been done prior to a mass recall) who knows if that solution is viable long term. At first I was willing to keep and carry my XDS upon its return. Doing so would cost me quite a bit of time and trouble as well. The parts they are changing are critical for the functioning of the gun. It's not like they're changing a pin that's prone to breakage, if that were the case then a reliable gun would still be a reliable gun with the new pin. As it stands now, I'll have to put a minimum of 200 rounds of ammo through the gun to make sure it still functions properly. The trigger pull could be affected, the grip safety resistance or any number of things. The XDS has a nice trigger the way it is, how would you like it if it comes back worse than a stock gritty M&P trigger? The size and shootability is what influenced my decision on the XDS, if those things change then so has my decision to own the gun.

If Springfield were to fix my gun, send it overnight to me so it's in my hand on Monday and include 200 rounds of Federal HST for the testing that needs to be done, I still don't know if I'd keep it. Assuming all is perfect with the functioning and trigger how can I be assured of future service from this company? They can't keep their stories straight and tell us the truth now, why should I trust them to do so in the future, say if I leave the gun to family members? I'm done with Springfield, the only exception would be a USED M1A rifle. I won't buy anything new from them again, unless they want to trade me one of those rifles for me 2 XDS's. Yeah, that will happen.

Good luck to all those that will continue to support Springfield in the future. For me whatever they do now is too little too late. There are too many other companies that provide better service with equal or better products that are willing to work for my dollar.

ilikeguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Prairie Creek
    Again, it's not the amount of time the recall is taking, although that's unacceptable as well. It's the fact we, the customers who make or break their business, have been lied to throughout this process. Communication is very lacking or non existent. Many people have sent numerous email with either no response or some automated response that doesn't address any questions asked. I've had specific questions since this whole thing started that still aren't answered, after over two dozen emails, all besides 2 of them unread and not responded to. I got read receipts for the 2 that got answered, albeit with canned generic responses to see the FAQ. Nothing for any of the others. These emails went CC to 3 different addresses within Springfield, the general recall email address and 2 individual employee address who've responded to me in the past.

I understand things break, mistakes are made, design flaws come out in time, etc. It's how these thing are handled that make a company great or poor. I have no problem owning, keeping or carrying a firearm that's had a recall done properly. That's not the case with Springfield anymore. The way they've handled this situation shows that they are irresponsible when it comes to customer service and relations. They are under so much pressure right now to find a solution (which should have been done prior to a mass recall) who knows if that solution is viable long term. At first I was willing to keep and carry my XDS upon its return. Doing so would cost me quite a bit of time and trouble as well. The parts they are changing are critical for the functioning of the gun. It's not like they're changing a pin that's prone to breakage, if that were the case then a reliable gun would still be a reliable gun with the new pin. As it stands now, I'll have to put a minimum of 200 rounds of ammo through the gun to make sure it still functions properly. The trigger pull could be affected, the grip safety resistance or any number of things. The XDS has a nice trigger the way it is, how would you like it if it comes back worse than a stock gritty M&P trigger? The size and shootability is what influenced my decision on the XDS, if those things change then so has my decision to own the gun.

If Springfield were to fix my gun, send it overnight to me so it's in my hand on Monday and include 200 rounds of Federal HST for the testing that needs to be done, I still don't know if I'd keep it. Assuming all is perfect with the functioning and trigger how can I be assured of future service from this company? They can't keep their stories straight and tell us the truth now, why should I trust them to do so in the future, say if I leave the gun to family members? I'm done with Springfield, the only exception would be a USED M1A rifle. I won't buy anything new from them again, unless they want to trade me one of those rifles for me 2 XDS's. Yeah, that will happen.

Good luck to all those that will continue to support Springfield in the future. For me whatever they do now is too little too late. There are too many other companies that provide better service with equal or better products that are willing to work for my dollar.
    Agreed 100%. Only problem is that we may as well just put our returned xds in the safe and forget about it. Resell on these now is going to be nil even if you didn't overpay in the first place. The springfield "apologists" annoy me almost as much as the company itself at this point. How can anyone rationalize the way this had been handled?

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Agreed 100%. Only problem is that we may as well just put our returned xds in the safe and forget about it. Resell on these now is going to be nil even if you didn't overpay in the first place. The springfield "apologists" annoy me almost as much as the company itself at this point. How can anyone rationalize the way this had been handled?

I've got someone already lined up for my 45 when it gets back. So far the 9mm is still in the safe. I only sent one in to start with. I should have kept the 45 until I found out how the recall was going to go and the results people had with it. The other recall processes I've been through were not like this. I know better than to send anything back right away now. Shame on me for thinking 'Wow, I caught the recall at the beginning and if I get my gun in there soon then I'll have it back sooner. I can be shooting again in a month and still take advantage of the weather while I can instead of waiting until they're all bogged down."

From here on out NOTHING will get sent back for any reason to any company until others have gotten whatever it is that needs sent in back and have reported positive results. Never again will I be a test pilot for a crashing plane. Thanks Springfield, you've pushed me one step closer to crotchety old bastage from normal laid back self.

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    This is how I've been trying to look at this situation. I was at the airport last month, and our plane was delayed 3 hours ,do to one of the engines having a problem. The guy next to me was crying for 3 hours straight about how he's going to be late for a meeting and how he's never flying American Airlines agian. Finally this old man turned to him and said this " would you rather be sitting in a airport , safe from danger complaining about how you think your being wronged, or would you rather be 30 thousand feet in the air , not knowing what's going to happend next, wishing you where on the ground, with the engine on fire?" For me, I'm frustrated also, but when safety is involved, I'll just be thankful nothing bad happened.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    It would be pretty cool to have a 2 round burst XDS. I will never send mine in and only hope I have a legal 2 round burst model. :rockwoot:

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I think the biggest issue is that Springfield wasn't upfront in the beginning and everyone was under the assumption that a fix was already hashed out and ready to go when they enacted the recall in the first place.
    This exactly!
    why have everyone send in their guns, if they don't even know how they are going to fix this "problem"?

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    This is how I've been trying to look at this situation. I was at the airport last month, and our plane was delayed 3 hours ,do to one of the engines having a problem. The guy next to me was crying for 3 hours straight about how he's going to be late for a meeting and how he's never flying American Airlines agian. Finally this old man turned to him and said this " would you rather be sitting in a airport , safe from danger complaining about how you think your being wronged, or would you rather be 30 thousand feet in the air , not knowing what's going to happend next, wishing you where on the ground, with the engine on fire?" For me, I'm frustrated also, but when safety is involved, I'll just be thankful nothing bad happened.

I get your point, although it's not really the same thing.

You show up for your flight being told that it's leaving on XX day at XX time at XX gate. Once there and checked in you find out that it's not leaving then, they will fly you out sometime in the future. They don't tell you when you are leaving and won't let you leave the terminal or make any other accommodations for you either. That's a little bit closer.

Top Bottom