• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    I am glad it seems to be resolved, I am glad to get an extra extended magazine, I am glad that my wife had no problem with me buying my new sr9c. Heck, it may just be how you look at it. This gives me a great excuse to go out and shoot my XDs and now my new Ruger. Nice thing is that after I got the Ruger I told my wife I would love to get a 1911 and she didn't give me any look. :rockwoot:

Last edited:

Glock19

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 17, 2012
    NE Indianapolis
    I'm not happy about how they did it and blatently lying to me on the phone. I'm just good with the bribe of a free mag trying to make It up to me.ill still remember this next time I spend my money on a handgun.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    ^This^ IDK why they listed the recall that way but that is my understanding as well. (Maybe an engineer can come along and explain it)

The last SN is probably for the last one they made before the recall. Surely, they stopped manufacturing when they realized that a recall was needed. The first non-recall pistol will be SN+1.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    The last SN is probably for the last one they made before the recall. Surely, they stopped manufacturing when they realized that a recall was needed. The first non-recall pistol will be SN+1.
    I think the confusion doesn't come from the last serial number but the first serial number that suggest there are some XDS's manufactured previously that are not subject to the recall. If so, why not and what is the difference?

serial numbers between XS500000 and XS686300

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I think the confusion doesn't come from the last serial number but the first serial number that suggest there are some XDS's manufactured previously that are not subject to the recall. If so, why not and what is the difference?

Not all serials start at 0000001 though

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Understood but I think it is still confusing to some that don't realize that the recall encompasses all XDS's manufactured from day one. There is no design change that I am aware of from the first one manufactured to the last one to come off the line before the recall.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.

This recall will last beyond the point where they have resumed production with a (hopefully) fixed product. The original notice of recall will live on in the net forever so they need to assure folks who buy a new production gun in the future that theirs is not part of the problem. Additionally, since SNs often don't start with 00000001, if they DIDN'T include the range they would be fielding questions about "what about guns with earlier SNs" even when such guns may not exist. It is much simpler to just state a range regardless of what that range is.

For the record, I am somewhat mollified by SAs offer of a magazine for our troubles, AND a potential date for returns, but given that they have lied to us before regarding turn around time I am withholding further judgement until repaired guns start being returned. I am still NOT happy with the way they handled the whole affair from the start.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    This recall will last beyond the point where they have resumed production with a (hopefully) fixed product. The original notice of recall will live on in the net forever so they need to assure folks who buy a new production gun in the future that theirs is not part of the problem. Additionally, since SNs often don't start with 00000001, if they DIDN'T include the range they would be fielding questions about "what about guns with earlier SNs" even when such guns may not exist. It is much simpler to just state a range regardless of what that range is.

For the record, I am somewhat mollified by SAs offer of a magazine for our troubles, AND a potential date for returns, but given that they have lied to us before regarding turn around time I am withholding further judgement until repaired guns start being returned. I am still NOT happy with the way they handled the whole affair from the start.

The extended mag does nothing for me. I ordered two of them for $39 each along with a spare recoil rod directly from Springfield back in May. I don't really care for the extended mags at all. That lone mag won't help much with the hundreds of rounds I'll need to run through the gun to make sure it works as it should.

We shall see if we get our firearms back in the time frame they state this time. I look forward to the YouTube videos tearing them apart to compare the old with the new and what was changed.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013

This. It's so they have a "clean" date/number. Once they resume production, they want to know what serial numbers were effected.

Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    The extended mag does nothing for me. I ordered two of them for $39 each along with a spare recoil rod directly from Springfield back in May. I don't really care for the extended mags at all. That lone mag won't help much with the hundreds of rounds I'll need to run through the gun to make sure it works as it should.

We shall see if we get our firearms back in the time frame they state this time. I look forward to the YouTube videos tearing them apart to compare the old with the new and what was changed.

I tell you what Angry, if you would like, I would be willing to buy yours from you when you get them back, at a deeply discounted price. That way you won't have to waste all that ammo. Heck, I would even be interested in the extended mags you have.:)

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I tell you what Angry, if you would like, I would be willing to buy yours from you when you get them back, at a deeply discounted price. That way you won't have to waste all that ammo. Heck, I would even be interested in the extended mags you have.:)

The 45 that is at Springfield is already sold, has been since Springfield admitted they lied to us. It's going to a friend who's wanted it since he first shot it back in March. The 9mm hasn't been sent in yet, it's still sitting in the safe where it will remain until this pooch screw is cleaned up a bit. It's not spoken for yet. I don't need to sell them for a deeply discounted price, I know many people that are willing to buy them at normal market value. As much as I like the guns I can't bring myself to carry them any longer. If no one I know is interested in the 9mm after its finally returned then it will probably go back into the safe and be used as a loaner gun for family when they're out at the farm to shoot.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    One of the big wigs from Springfield was on Guntalk radio this afternoon to talk about the recall.

Listen here.

guntalk's Podcast : Guntalk 2013-10-13 Part C
    He didn't really say anything new.
    He kept calling it an "upgrade". Does anyone else consider what they are doing an upgrade? I look at it as a repair.
    it seems that their measly free magazine has won many people over. I'm kind of surprised that so many people that were bit**ing before are pacified now by this "token" gift! I'm really disgusted by the way Springfield has handled this recall from the very beginning, all the way to this gift (or bribe?).
    I'm glad they have finally (supposedly) told us the truth, but the way they handled this whole thing has caused me to lose a LOT of respect for this company! A measly free (not really free, considering my time , and the expense of retesting before I carry it again) magazine, in NO way, makes up for their dishonesty!!!

Glock19

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 17, 2012
    NE Indianapolis
    The mag is a bribe. Its a well thought out bribe to say the least. They know they lied and are hoping the bribe keeps people happy. If anyone actually hurt themselves from using the gun in the way they said it would malfunction they are idiots anyways. The dbl tap, the slide dacking forward, if you're pointingthe gun at yourself or anyone when you do either you don't need to handle guns.

Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    He didn't really say anything new.
    He kept calling it an "upgrade". Does anyone else consider what they are doing an upgrade? I look at it as a repair.
    it seems that their measly free magazine has won many people over. I'm kind of surprised that so many people that were bit**ing before are pacified now by this "token" gift! I'm really disgusted by the way Springfield has handled this recall from the very beginning, all the way to this gift (or bribe?).
    I'm glad they have finally (supposedly) told us the truth, but the way they handled this whole thing has caused me to lose a LOT of respect for this company! A measly free (not really free, considering my time , and the expense of retesting before I carry it again) magazine, in NO way, makes up for their dishonesty!!!

I am glad to get the magazine and I was not one of those people bit***ng.

I personally think, at this point, everyone got really frustrated and lost loyalty really fast. They needed to get the guns of the street, they probably thought the fix would be really simple, they certainly did not anyone to get shot be mistake. I understand others frustration, I am still frustrated. However, what would you have done? I am sure some of you know exactly what you think you would do to resolve a situation like this. It is always easy to sit in the safety of ones home and say what should have been done, after the fact. I am glad it wasn't my job to fix this situation.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    I am glad to get the magazine and I was not one of those people bit***ng.

I personally think, at this point, everyone got really frustrated and lost loyalty really fast. They needed to get the guns of the street, they probably thought the fix would be really simple, they certainly did not anyone to get shot be mistake. I understand others frustration, I am still frustrated. However, what would you have done? I am sure some of you know exactly what you think you would do to resolve a situation like this. It is always easy to sit in the safety of ones home and say what should have been done, after the fact. I am glad it wasn't my job to fix this situation.

As someone who HAS dealt with sending out defective products and doing my best to make it right for my customers, Springfield deserves the slamming they got. Not for a defective product, that happens. But for the way they dealt with the process. They told us a fix was already done and they would be turning around the guns within a reasonable time with a projected date of 3-4 weeks. They lied. They didn't have a fix in place and then they didn't even have a projected date.

At that point, as I posted before, they would have been better off offering their customers a refund or a credit towards another weapon, or giving the option to wait with some type of compensation such as an extra magazine. They did not, they chose to sit on the guns and not communicate with their customers for several weeks. You DON'T do that if you are a manufacturer. Period. it's not "customers *****ing," these are legitimate complaints against a company that deliberately misled their customers, and they deserve the trashing they are getting. Whomever in upper management thought this was a good plan deserves to lose their job for it. As I also posted previously, many manufacturers of products of all sorts handle their recalls MUCH better so it is not like there aren't decent models in place for doing so. I have bent over backwards to make it right for customers when my company screwed up and took a loss in the process but it was worth it to me personally to be the kind of person I want to be and wanted my company to reflect that.

Get off the "people are just *****ing" kick, it doesn't wash.

Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    Get off the "people are just *****ing" kick, it doesn't wash.[/QUOTE]

i was quoting someone else and all I said was I wasn't. I am not on any kick, other than the keep my bloodpressure low kick. Like I said, glad it wasn't my decision to make.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    i was quoting someone else and all I said was I wasn't. I am not on any kick, other than the keep my bloodpressure low kick. Like I said, glad it wasn't my decision to make.

Maybe not you, but it's been a somewhat prevalent theme from some people in this thread.

Mind you, as far as I am concerned in the grand scheme of things for me this is a fairly minor annoyance, and I too tend to be pretty easy-going and mellow about most of life. Since I did spend much of the last decade running a manufacturing company I tend to give other companies a LOT of slack when it comes to issues like this.

I think it's fine to discourage a lynch mob as a response, but there are some real apologists for SA whose touch with reality I seriously question. Some of them sorta remind me of domestic abuse victims I've worked with who are so afraid to speak up because they fear the conflict. They're the other end of the spectrum from people who blow the tiniest offense way out of proportion.

Top Bottom