Springfield M6, Marlin Papoose, AR7, Savage 24N Which one do you prefer?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • g3man

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    Springfield M6, Marlin Papoose, AR7, Savage 24N Which one do you prefer? Any mods to your prepper guns? Post pics.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I have no personal experience with any of the "takedown" guns but have leaned towards purchasing a Papoose for some time now. I haven't heard much complaint about the Ruger 10/22 takedown but don't like it personally. The AR7 looks to be a big win all the way around.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I like the M6 Scout. Mods I've done are remove the trigger guard to make it more compact when folded. Attached a light to it on a section of rail. Wrapped the barrels with parachute cord. Added a sling.

Last edited:

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    AR7. Has aftermarket 15 round mags, relatively inexpensive rifle and parts, not too hard to work on, light, semi-auto, folds up small, swims. A little picky about ammo, though. If you get one with the aluminum barrel casing instead of plastic, it appears you can have it threaded for a suppressor.

other dave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Howard County
    Springfield M6. You can get them in 22LR, 22WMR, or 22 Hornet over .410. 22LR versions will shoot 22 shorts, longs or LR's. Plus there is a storage compartment in the buttstock that holds 10 rounds of 22 and 4 rounds of .410. Harder to find and more expensive than the other options listed but IMO well worth it.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Springfield M6, Marlin Papoose, AR7, Savage 24N Which one do you prefer? Any mods to your prepper guns? Post pics.

Not trying to be mean, but I think every gun you just listed sucks.

When I looked at break down rifles in the past, I had to pass on the AR7. The front and rear sight have to be aligned consistently to make accurate hits. With a plastic sleeve around the barrel, you're not going to get enough of that consistency/accuracy to make it something I'd want to survive on. As soon as I say that the arguement gets made that it's for survival and "hunting accuracy" is all that's needed. Well that's all fine and dandy until you miss that squirrel or rabbit by an inch, because your sights are off because you didn't tighten up a plastic sleeve just the same way you did last time.

That logic led me to buy a papoose because the front and rear sight were both on the barrel and would stay zero'd in theory. I kept mine babied in the back of the trunk inside a bag but because of the design of the factory rear sight there was always a little side to side wiggle. I'd get the same result with the sights being off again. Everytime I went to the range I'd pull out my papoose and test the sights. Every time they were off.

I traded the papoose for the ruger 10-22 take down as soon as I could. I figured that since I already had a 10-22 I'd be better off because of parts and mags interchanging. It didn't take long comparing the two 10-22's side by side for me to realize that I had spent a lot of time and money going the long way around to what I already had. My folding 10-22 is only a couple of inches longer than a taken down 10-22.
    IMAG1150.jpg

IMAG1149.jpg

I'd say get a 10-22 with a folding stock. Fixed iron sights, reliable system, high cap mags, and overall compact. It's lightweight, and you have a follow up shot if needed.
    DSC00474.jpg

DSC00475.jpg

As far as the single shots go I totally understand the lightweight logic, and simplicity. I like the versatility of a two barrels/calibers. Why I wouldn't buy one is because I've gone hunting and missed shots with single shots in the past when I had a good nights rest and a full belly. It's going to be tougher to make a clean shot when you're cold, wet, hungry, and whatever else. You're probably not going to be in survival mode when it's a beautiful day outside. There's something to be said for making that single perfect shot in the woods, but when I start thinking of a survival gun, I really start to value the semi auto's for a follow up shot or for something out of the air/water/whatever. Just my two cents.

Last edited:

stlaser

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    Marlin Papoose, it is acurate and lines up properly when assembled making it accurate enough for taking out squirrels every year. I would not buy a new one but one of the pre 1999 models. They are pricey but there is a reason for that.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Savage 24c (Camoer version) 18 inch barrels and forearm and stock same lenght. The factory carry bag was on the cheap side but you could find something to make it perfect sith all the aftermarket bags around. Can be scoped or not.

Then again they ave not made one in a long time. 1980's mid i believe.

Gino66

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    SWIN
    I have the papoose, but am coveting the breakdown ruger these days. Like the 70P, but plastic mags are junk. Need ones with the metal lip or they will fail quickly. Bought several aftermarket hi-cap which failed rather quickly.

columbusprepper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    I've shot the ar7 and it sucked. It was really picky on ammo. I have a Talo edition 10/22 with a folding stock/3 position stock and can take the bx25 mags. really good rifle! I only wish it had iron sites.

I've shot the papoose and it was a great rifle. The springfield m6 or whatever it's called- never shot it. But I've looked into them and they can cost over 600 (used!) they are a rare breed. I know rossi makes interchangable barrel rifles.

I went with the 10/22 cause of the high cap. mags and cause it looked cool. :D

I LOVE the idea of the ar7, but the rifle isn't that great.
    :twocents:

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I am a little old school and I decided to go this way on my "BUG Out" .22.

It's a Marlin TDS Carbine. A customer made me the pig skin scabbard and it holds an altoid tin survival kit and up to 200 rounds of ammunition. Here are some pics for those that never saw this before. An INGO member coined the name for this set up...It is my CBCS Kit...(Country Boy Can Survive Kit.)

bugoutbag010.jpg

bugoutbag005.jpg

bugoutbag004.jpg

bugoutbag002.jpg

It's a pretty compact package and I like it. I have a new model Ruger Bearcat that dovetails nicley with it. When we head up to our farm house I usually always have these two with us. A fun little gun and the Marlin 39a and the Bearcat are famous for their reliabilty and longevity.

IMHO ofcourse lest my comments be construed as "testy".

Last edited:

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    The little sub 2000 from Kel-tec might work for you. You can get it in 40 S&W or 9MM for around 400. I have not shot one yet. Every thing I have read about them is good. It should make a good emergency rifle and you can get it to use Glock mags.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    Unless you absolutely NEED the Takedown feature, I do not know why you would go with the original guns listed. If you do, I would go with a Ruger Charger or take down model. Look at the Rogue River Chipmunks - short and light. The Chipmunk weighs 2.5 pounds and when you get used to shooting it w/ the short stock it is accurate

I currently have a 10/22 scout that Chief AJ did for me 20 years ago, a CZ trainer, a Remington Speedmaster, a Nylon 66 cut down to 16.5" barrel and threaded, and a Chipmunk. CZ is the most accurate, 10/22 is a workhorse, Remington will feed any LR, Long, CB caps or shorts. The Nyon 66 has no mag to lose, but holds 15 rounds of LR and weighs under 4 lbs. The chipmunk I described above. All have their particular niche.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    The little sub 2000 from Kel-tec might work for you. You can get it in 40 S&W or 9MM for around 400. I have not shot one yet. Every thing I have read about them is good. It should make a good emergency rifle and you can get it to use Glock mags.

I think you need to do quite a bit of aftermarket modification to the S2000 for it to be an adequate "emergency rifle", aside from the ammo compatibility capability. On the plus side, a folded S2000 will fit nicely in a paintball marker bag.

nsheepdog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Carmel, IN
    I have the Marlin Papoose and the AR-7. I consider the AR-7 a fun toy and a neat concept, but I trust the Papoose more for reliability and accuracy. I also like that you can leave an optic attached and fit it in the case. The Papoose case can hold a fire starter and other small, but essential supplies. I think as long as the idea is "survive," and not "thrive," then any of those takedowns is a good choice. I would be much more likely to have my Papoose in the small pack it comes in, than I would be to have my 10/22 liberty rifle in a normal rifle case. Also, the 10/22 takedown pack is rather large from what I've seen. No personal experience with the 10/22 takedown.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I am a little old school and I decided to go this way on my "BUG Out" .22.

It's a Marlin TDS Carbine. A customer made me the pig skin scabbard and it holds an altoid tin survival kit and up to 200 rounds of ammunition. Here are some pics for those that never saw this before. An INGO member coined the name for this set up...It is my CBCS Kit...(Country Boy Can Survive Kit.)

bugoutbag010.jpg

bugoutbag005.jpg

bugoutbag004.jpg

bugoutbag002.jpg

It's a pretty compact package and I like it. I have a new model Ruger Bearcat that dovetails nicley with it. When we head up to our farm house I usually always have these two with us. A fun little gun and the Marlin 39a and the Bearcat are famous for their reliabilty and longevity.

IMHO ofcourse lest my comments be construed as "testy".

An update.

I just changed out the Marlin 39TDS (I saw what they were going for on gunbroker and decided it was no longer to be a "sits behind the seat of the truck in case I need it gun" any longer. $800 for a Marlin .22 with the safety? Come on...) and put in a Savage Model 24 Camper with the straight stock....It's a good rig for staying alive in the woods. I currently have four or five Savage 24's and am surprised at how accurate the .22's are out of these weapons...I like them although when I was a kid I thought that only kids used them. Now they are my favorite "Farm Guns"...I have even got one with a synthetic stock and the cross bolt safety....It weighs as much as a house but the .22 barrel is cloverleaf with iron sights accurate....

Top Bottom