• ...and so much more!
  • wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    So what is the difference between the various models? I'm new to the 1911 platform and curious what separates the RO from the Loaded, from the TRP, etc. I see the Loaded in stainless for under $800 online and it looks really sweet for the price. The TRP of course looks nicer, but is $400+ more. School me INGO :)

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The loaded is sort of a semi custom that has most everything you need on a carry type pistol. Novak sights, anbi safety etc. the range Officer has the bomar type target sights and is more for range/target use. The Range Officer while able to be carried most end up gravitating away from target grade sights because they tend to get caught up on clothes, rub the side of your body during carrying and when working the slide more than one hand has gotten an ouch from working the slide with the target sights cutting their hand.

The TRP is top of the line and has a lot of features the FBI HRT team pistol has. Do you need to spend the money on a TRP? Thats basically up to you and how many bells and whistles you want. For around the same price you can't go wrong with wither the Range Officer or loaded. If you want something for specifically the range the Range Officer would be your best bet. If you want it for double duty of range and carrying the loaded would probably fit your needs a little better. If money is not an issue the TRP would be the way to go.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Loaded and TRP and Range Officer are all nice, and like already said have several differences within. I have an operator and love it, everything I want in a 1911 and nothing I don't. :) Edit: I also used to have a stainless GI Springer and it was flawless, but I trade it because I was over the GI sights.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    The loaded is sort of a semi custom that has most everything you need on a carry type pistol. Novak sights, anbi safety etc. the range Officer has the bomar type target sights and is more for range/target use. The Range Officer while able to be carried most end up gravitating away from target grade sights because they tend to get caught up on clothes, rub the side of your body during carrying and when working the slide more than one hand has gotten an ouch from working the slide with the target sights cutting their hand.

The TRP is top of the line and has a lot of features the FBI HRT team pistol has. Do you need to spend the money on a TRP? Thats basically up to you and how many bells and whistles you want. For around the same price you can't go wrong with wither the Range Officer or loaded. If you want something for specifically the range the Range Officer would be your best bet. If you want it for double duty of range and carrying the loaded would probably fit your needs a little better. If money is not an issue the TRP would be the way to go.

Excellent reply, thank you. So are the sights on the RO better than the sights on the Loaded? I'm curious as you list these as "target grade sights" and I'm not sure how that differs from the Novak style sights. I'm assuming that aside from sights either is as accurate as the other? Talking about the RO and the Loaded specifically, as I don't see having the budget for the TRP any time soon.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Excellent reply, thank you. So are the sights on the RO better than the sights on the Loaded? I'm curious as you list these as "target grade sights" and I'm not sure how that differs from the Novak style sights. I'm assuming that aside from sights either is as accurate as the other? Talking about the RO and the Loaded specifically, as I don't see having the budget for the TRP any time soon.

Sights, slide serration style and location, ejection port flaring, etc.. I think they are all more accurate than I am. :)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The RO's I have owned will group better than the Loaded models I have owned out of the box. Being a very picky person I always tune them up a bit after I shoot them and some never make it out to the range before major surgery. Like Ford tough said, they are all more accurate than I am anyway.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Sights, slide serration style and location, ejection port flaring, etc.. I think they are all more accurate than I am. :)

Nice info, thanks :)

The RO's I have owned will group better than the Loaded models I have owned out of the box. Being a very picky person I always tune them up a bit after I shoot them and some never make it out to the range before major surgery. Like Ford tough said, they are all more accurate than I am anyway.

Well that's the way I feel about my Ruger SR1911....lol! I thought about taking the leap to Springfield, as you and others have mentioned Springfield is inherently more accurate than the SR1911. So you're saying that applies to the RO more than the Loaded?

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Nice info, thanks :)

Well that's the way I feel about my Ruger SR1911....lol! I thought about taking the leap to Springfield, as you and others have mentioned Springfield is inherently more accurate than the SR1911. So you're saying that applies to the RO more than the Loaded?

For the record I think the full size Ruger SR1911 looks sweet, wouldn't mind having one as well someday. I think the RO is prob a better choice for straight accuracy shooting. The Loaded is a nice pistol though.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I love the looks of my SR1911 and I also think it is well built and very accurate. The price was also fantastic at $599. I really don't *need* another 1911, but you know how that goes :):

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

The range Officer sights are better for target shooting in you can adjust them for whatever load you use, LRN SWC or ball. The Loaded have very nice sights for self defense/carrying.

So your answer is target shooting the RO is better for carrying/self defense the loaded will probably be better.They both fit a nitch

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    The range Officer sights are better for target shooting in you can adjust them for whatever load you use, LRN SWC or ball. The Loaded have very nice sights for self defense/carrying.

So your answer is target shooting the RO is better for carrying/self defense the loaded will probably be better.They both fit a nitch

Well TBH my 1911's will likely be range guns, but I'm leaning more towards the Loaded. I typically only plink with ball ammo at the range, so the Loaded should be fine and be a good fit if I do decide I want to carry it. Dunno, need to go coonfinger both to see what I think :D

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I can only speak on the Loaded and Range Officer because those are the only springers I've shot. Personally I really like the additional slide serrations on the loaded model and think the RO would be better with them. Any handgun I own has night sights, so this is something that I didn't really care for on the RO. The RO is built for guys who want to target shoot or have some dude with a timer standing next to them saying "shooter ready, stand by" and there's nothing wrong with that. The loaded is more geared towards the guys who can imagine a situation where they may be grabbing that gun in the middle of the night and having to use it.

For me, I bought the loaded and I haven't looked back. I don't compete with my guns, but I may try that out some day just to see. I had my 1911 out a week or two ago with guys in very low light shooting and running drills. When the night was over the mags and gun were filthy, but still functioning 100%. I can't complain about my loaded and I'm still very glad that I bought it.

If you want to compete the RO is the way to go. If you want to run the gun hard like it's a weapon, then I'd lean towards the loaded. If you've got money to burn, then the TRP or whatever else will gladly cost you more money and deliver a higher performance that 99% of shooters out there wouldn't be able to appreciate anyway. Just my two cents.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I see no reason the RO wouldn't be as good a gun for all purposes and not just competition. I have a Loaded and at times would have liked the adjustable sights.

Many do not care for the black front blade and the ears on the rear sight. With some it causes issues when EDC as to snagging clothing and getting painfully into the ole love handles. I have no problems with the RO in those regards but some do.

foxmustang

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 20, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Many do not care for the black front blade and the ears on the rear sight. With some it causes issues when EDC as to snagging clothing and getting painfully into the ole love handles. I have no problems with the RO in those regards but some do.

I have carried my RO and never had a problem with sights digging in. Of all my firearms the RO is one of the more recent purchases but it has about 2x the rounds of the other firearms. It is just a pleasurable gun to shoot

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    RO is a nice bare bones 1911. I see no reason why the adjustable sights couldn't be switched out. As long as you go OWB with a cover garment the gun should work fine for CCW.

Didnt the OP just buy a Ruger SR1911? (Nice choice by the way). Carry the Ruger and get an RO for the range. Or sell the Ruger and take the money and step up to the TRP. I see people talk about not being to afford the TRP or Baer or Wilson, but then talk about the other 5 guns they own. Not being critical here, it is really a choice of quality vs quantity. That said it quickly becomes an issue of diminishing returns. Is a $3000 Wilson twice as good as a $1500 TRP? Probably not

Top Bottom