• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I think I am going to go ahead and take a shot at doing the Saiga conversion myself as I have wanted to for quite a while. I know where to get my parts at from the web so I thought I would ask here if anyone can tell me of an Indiana shop who might have a sporter 7.62x39 in stock? I am in east central Indiana for geographic reference.

Thanks!

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I think I am going to go ahead and take a shot at doing the Saiga conversion myself as I have wanted to for quite a while. I know where to get my parts at from the web so I thought I would ask here if anyone can tell me of an Indiana shop who might have a sporter 7.62x39 in stock? I am in east central Indiana for geographic reference.

Thanks!

I'd encourage you to go to carolina shooter's supply. Greg is an excellent guy, he'll ship the stuff cheap and extremely fast.

He also has put together complete conversion kits so you don't have to track down individual parts. I've built 3 guns using him and have been super impressed by the service every time.

carolinashooterssupply.com Home Page

As far as the gun, bradis always seems to have most the saiga lineup in stock.

Last edited:

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I'd encourage you to go to carolina shooter's supply. Greg is an excellent guy, he'll ship the stuff cheap and extremely fast.

He also has put together complete conversion kits so you don't have to track down individual parts. I've built 3 guns using him and have been super impressed by the service every time.

carolinashooterssupply.com Home Page

As far as the gun, bradis always seems to have most the saiga lineup in stock.

Carolina is where I was going to get my parts from. Nobody from the Bradis camp has chimed in to let me know what they have so I wasn't going to make the drive. I would prefer to keep my money somewhat local but if I don't see something worth buying in Indiana then I have no choice but the web.

Vitamink....you wouldn't want to part with one for 3hun would you:D

In all seriousness....what are some good russian red wood kits or wood kits I can dye that will go with the Saiga? Also, what is the big difference between the 132 and 332 as well as is it a worth while difference when doing the conversion?

Thanks!

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I wish i could help you out man. The good thing about this forum, when a deal pops up someone usually posts about it so everyone can join the fun. A good example are the Yugo m92 kits that are selling now for less than half of what they were 2 years ago. I jumped on that one like a rabid beast.

Your best bet for wood would be Iron wood... you can get those finished in some damn sexy flavors...check out innovation arms for some stock refinishing (wear your sunglasses) - Combloc Customs

Is there a difference between the 132 and the 332? Yes. Is it worth the price? That's up to you. If you plan on doing this:
    Combloc-Red-Finish-IWD-AKM-4.jpg

Then you might as well get the 332 as you won't have to knock the front sight block off to install the lower retainer, buy a new upper hand guard, and install a new threaded FSB.

If you want this:
    TSD-AK-Gabe-Suarez1.jpg

Then you can buy the 132 and save money and time.

The end result of either is a functioning bad ass AK. I've seen a guy buy the 332, cut of the hanguard retainer, toss the poly furniture, and toss the gas tube to make a "tactical" AK when he could have saved 120 bucks (which would have paid for his conversion) and bought a 132. Choice is yours, but since you're asking about the best wood to put on it i'd say you're probably better off with the 332.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I wish i could help you out man. The good thing about this forum, when a deal pops up someone usually posts about it so everyone can join the fun. A good example are the Yugo m92 kits that are selling now for less than half of what they were 2 years ago. I jumped on that one like a rabid beast.

Your best bet for wood would be Iron wood... you can get those finished in some damn sexy flavors...check out innovation arms for some stock refinishing (wear your sunglasses) - Combloc Customs

Is there a difference between the 132 and the 332? Yes. Is it worth the price? That's up to you. If you plan on doing this:
    Combloc-Red-Finish-IWD-AKM-4.jpg

Then you might as well get the 332 as you won't have to knock the front sight block off to install the lower retainer, buy a new upper hand guard, and install a new threaded FSB.

If you want this:
    TSD-AK-Gabe-Suarez1.jpg

Then you can buy the 132 and save money and time.

The end result of either is a functioning bad ass AK. I've seen a guy buy the 332, cut of the hanguard retainer, toss the poly furniture, and toss the gas tube to make a "tactical" AK when he could have saved 120 bucks (which would have paid for his conversion) and bought a 132. Choice is yours, but since you're asking about the best wood to put on it i'd say you're probably better off with the 332.

Appreciate all the info! I absolutely will not be putting a collapsible stock on an AK. That is just blasphemy in my book but underfolders look good. I want to have regular red wood as that is my favorite. It would seem that the 332 is the route for me as well.

I appreciate the Valpo shop info....I unfortunately am 30 miles straight east of Indy. As fas as 630 at the 1500?!?!?! OUCH

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    J&G & Centerfire has them on sale from time to time for $299. Shipping is more than fair from them both. Add in a cheap tranfer fee and they can bet Bradis prices all day long. Maybe Bradis will price match? I got a 5.45 saiga for $342 out the door a couple months back. Shop around.

jeepville

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    New Castle
    Not to hijack your thread but I also just got a Siaga in 762x39
    I am wanting to convert mine and have been looking at Carolina shooters supply.
    I have a question about their basic stock (Kit #1) is that butt stock as junky as the one that came on it?
    The buttstock that came on it is the biggest piece of junk I have ever seen it feels like it will break if I look at it funny.

I don't plan on doing a front end conversion other than maybe a muzzle break.
    What are the difference in the trigger guards between kit #1 and kit #1-css?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The buttstock that came on it is the biggest piece of junk I have ever seen it feels like it will break if I look at it funny.

^ This. Mine rattled like it has bits of plastic chips inside.
    Another complaint I had was that I spent an hour or two the other night trying to align the rear sights. It wasn't the front sight that was canted, but the rear sight wasn't straight in the rear sight "housing".

But, what do you expect for $300?

jeepville

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    New Castle
    I completely agree mine has parts that rattle inside of it as well. (which I didnt buy it to keep the stock to be honest) I am just amazed that it feels and sounds as cheaply made as it is.
    I think it was a great deal for about 315 shipped.

But that is why I don't want to make the mistake of buying a new piece of junk butt stock when I convert it.
    I would love to go wood but think it might look funny since I am not planning on converting the front end.
    Or should I say not yet just like everything else I tinker with is it ever done?

Carrtech1

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I just bought a Saiga 12g that is completely stock. It has a a 20rd drum and the stick mag with it. I have really thought about buying the tactical conversion kit off of Amazon.com for it, but I haven't made up my mind yet. They look really nice!

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    They are shipped over under the understanding that you will convert them later. They save money putting the crappy parts on that have to be there for their importation.

Do yourself a favor, and do NOT buy the "tactical conversion kit". Go to carolina shooters supply and convert it the correct way. If you need help PM me.

Reference kit 1 from CSS:
    The stock that you're looking at is tapco. It's nice in so far as it won't rattle. If a fixed AK stock is your flavor i'd recommend upgrading to kit 6 for $20 more and get a KVAR stock. Remember to pick either nato or warsaw (nato being longer) I would also upgrade my grip to the molot for free (scroll down)

Keep in mind that any conversion kit will be a drastic improvement over stock.

Also if you put CSS in the coupon section you'll save 5% (enough to upgrade to the KVAR)
    I expect mad rep.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    They are shipped over under the understanding that you will convert them later. They save money putting the crappy parts on that have to be there for their importation.

Do yourself a favor, and do NOT buy the "tactical conversion kit". Go to carolina shooters supply and convert it the correct way. If you need help PM me.

Reference kit 1 from CSS:
    The stock that you're looking at is tapco. It's nice in so far as it won't rattle. If a fixed AK stock is your flavor i'd recommend upgrading to kit 6 for $20 more and get a KVAR stock. Remember to pick either nato or warsaw (nato being longer) I would also upgrade my grip to the molot for free (scroll down)

Keep in mind that any conversion kit will be a drastic improvement over stock.

Also if you put CSS in the coupon section you'll save 5% (enough to upgrade to the KVAR)
    I expect mad rep.

Any tool suggestions that would make the conversion easier or better off? I have a little bit of everything myself but it may help if there is something particular that is needed. Also, do you always refinish with GunKote after building?

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Any tool suggestions that would make the conversion easier or better off? I have a little bit of everything myself but it may help if there is something particular that is needed. Also, do you always refinish with GunKote after building?

I did my Saiga conversion with a dremel tool and an electric hand drill. Used the drill to drill out the rivets and the dremel to cut off the tang for my folding stock (not an issue for what you want to do). I didn't mod my front end, so I don't know what you'll need to do for that, but the basic conversion is fairly simple. Also, if you have a particular AR-style grip you favor, CSS sells an AR-to-AK grip adapter for $7.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I did my Saiga conversion with a dremel tool and an electric hand drill. Used the drill to drill out the rivets and the dremel to cut off the tang for my folding stock (not an issue for what you want to do). I didn't mod my front end, so I don't know what you'll need to do for that, but the basic conversion is fairly simple. Also, if you have a particular AR-style grip you favor, CSS sells an AR-to-AK grip adapter for $7.

I appreciate the info. That sounds even easier then I was expecting.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I refinish with high heat paint but upgrade to dura/moly coat later once I get all the stuff exactly as I like it. You can do an entire conversion with a drill. The tools I use are a drill, various bits, punches, needle nose pliers, screwdrivers, hammer, and a center punch. If you're doing a rifle you'll need a tap and oil for the bullet guide.

Top Bottom