• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Socomike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    I had a point in time where I was buying guns left and right. My friends thought something was wrong If I wasnt buying a gun at least once a month. They werent always expensive guns. Sometimes I would build a 1500+ dollar AR and then I would buy a 250 dollar used 870. After a while I started to realized I wasnt shooting a lot of the guns I was buying and the lack of liquid funds were hurting my actual shooting/training time with my ccw and go to rifle. I took a hard look at my collection and sold the guns that I couldnt justify a reason, other then I like it, to have. I shrunk the collection down and find myself only buying guns that I can find a real reason to own.

For example. I carry a glock 19 for CCW. I spent 6 hours getting some much needed training this week. I ran a lot of rounds through it and did a bunch of drills. I realized that without my mag that has the plus 2 on it, the gun doesnt fit my hands very well. I have now decided to look into G 17's for a more full sized gun to train with. I will continue to carry the G 19 but for more serious use, I may bump it up to the G 17.

Hope my perspective helps a little.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    IMHO.. buy one for each use, practice with them, stock up on ammo, consider reloading, make sure that everyone in your house or family has a weapon and is trained on it.

Just my two pennies, remember, I don't know anything...

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    For example. I carry a glock 19 for CCW. I spent 6 hours getting some much needed training this week.

This brings up a good point. There was a thread here a while ago (found it) that asked: How many people had taken more classes than owned guns?

Owning lots of toys is certainly fun, but you might want to get a little more serious and consider how proficient you are with them. Will you be able to properly and effectively act if/when you really need to?

Last edited:

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Every time I tell my wife I'm going to buy another gun she tells me that I should enjoy the ones I have now. I realized the other day that I spend way too much time on the internet looking at gun-related stuff and not enough time actually going out shooting them. I have more holsters, slings, swivel mounts, etc. than I do ammo. That's an issue, maybe I should listen to my wife more.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I had a point in time where I was buying guns left and right. My friends thought something was wrong If I wasnt buying a gun at least once a month. They werent always expensive guns. Sometimes I would build a 1500+ dollar AR and then I would buy a 250 dollar used 870. After a while I started to realized I wasnt shooting a lot of the guns I was buying and the lack of liquid funds were hurting my actual shooting/training time with my ccw and go to rifle. I took a hard look at my collection and sold the guns that I couldnt justify a reason, other then I like it, to have. I shrunk the collection down and find myself only buying guns that I can find a real reason to own.

For example. I carry a glock 19 for CCW. I spent 6 hours getting some much needed training this week. I ran a lot of rounds through it and did a bunch of drills. I realized that without my mag that has the plus 2 on it, the gun doesnt fit my hands very well. I have now decided to look into G 17's for a more full sized gun to train with. I will continue to carry the G 19 but for more serious use, I may bump it up to the G 17.

Hope my perspective helps a little.

That's where I am pretty much. I was buying at least a gun a month and got to the point where I realized that a bunch of the earlier purchases were not getting any range time. Lately, I have been selling before buying and the new guns have been bought because they add capabilities as opposed to just being high on the cool factor. For instance, I decided I want a standard format pistol for each member of the family so I traded away a S&W 586, a Sig P6 and a Bersa 9HC for 3 CZ 75s and a CZ 97.

Layaway is a good option as well. The biggest problem with layaway is the chance that you may change your mind before actually getting the gun. The best advice I can offer in managing the addiction is to leave credit cards at home when you go gun browsing. It's easy to make an impulse buy when you don't have the cash if you have a credit card.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    The beauty of the "sickness" is that if you decide you are no longer enamored with a particular firearm, you can sell it, at to close to what you purchased it for. Timing is everything. During the last presidential election, semi-auto prices went sky-high. I sold a Glock for twice the normal price.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I started young, by the time I was old enough to buy a rifle (18) I already had a couple handguns, a couple rifles, and a shotgun. I can't recall all of the guns I have owned since other than some of them I still own, they got traded or sold with new guns rotating in all the time. These days I have cut back on the trading and selling...tho I do buy every now and then, just don't have any I want to get rid of. With luck you will hit a point where buying isn't a panic and you can make great choices.

flick1900

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    Troy, IN
    Hey guys I bought my first handgun back in February and received my LTCH about a month ago. I have been part of INGO for a little over a month, and all I can say is this all is great.

Problem is that I am already itchin for another gun. I have a pretty good list of what I want but I don't know which of them to buy next. Not only that but I just can't let myself spend the money on another one just yet. I went to Bradis today to just look and fondle some guns thinking this would help, but it didn't. What do you guys do when you want a new baby but you just can't have it.

I am addicted.

Sometimes not getting something when you "want" it is a good thing. Read up about the weapon. Find out all the pros and cons. You may find it might not be what you thought it was after all...

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    I'm in the same boat. I rarely shoot because there's nowhere within an hours drive to shoot. I tried other means of scratching the itch. I reload, I work on friends guns, I clean and Polish mine to showroom new. I just recently started looking into setting up to do coatings. I realized though that the only way to stop taking money out my pocket and adding more guns to the collection would be to make a living off what I enjoy: fixing, cleaning, buying and selling guns. Wife wont go along with the idea so ill just keep on with what I've been doing, at least until I can find another way to scratch the itch.

toyotaslave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    Princeton
    danmdevries you are right up my alley brother! Scratch that itch any way you can! Luckily there is plenty to do in this hobby. Cleaning and reloading are a good start. Cheaper than buying (or worse trading for a loss -ouch) continually. Plus you can gain some skill there.

Top Bottom