Spike Lee Sued For Tweeting Elderly Sanford, FL Couple's Address (Again)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    An elderly Florida couple has filed a negligence lawsuit against Spike Lee, alleging that the film director claimed in a Twitter message that George Zimmerman lived at their Sanford home, a mistake that prompted a flood of death threats being directed at them

Elderly Couple Sues Spike Lee Over Tweet | The Smoking Gun

During the whole Zimmerman/Martin fiasco, Lee tweeted this couple's address, and their home was targeted by morons, forcing them to temp relocate. Upon, discovering the error, Lee apologized, and settled with the family for $10,000 in 2012. Well now, the couple claims that they are still being harassed, and have filed another suit estimated at $1.7 million.

Should Lee be forced to pay up again after an agreed upon settlement, or should the couple have asked for more money the first time? All sorts of interesting questions surrounding this.

Cpl. Klinger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    The 4077th
    I'd have a hard time being on a jury giving more money to these folks. While what Spike Lee was indeterminably stupid, he apologized and settled with them in an effort to attempt make right. You don't get a do over once someone apologizes and makes right, even if they do it because they just want something to go away.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Spike Lee should get hit by a bus. The guy is a bigger douche than me and I usually try pretty hard.

He's an EPIC douche. He hasn't had a good film since the 90's, so I'm wondering how he keeps being able to direct.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I'd have a hard time being on a jury giving more money to these folks. While what Spike Lee was indeterminably stupid, he apologized and settled with them in an effort to attempt make right. You don't get a do over once someone apologizes and makes right, even if they do it because they just want something to go away.

That's the way I'm leaning. Obviously, IANAL, but if the couple had of pressed the issue the first time, they probably could have gotten the sum they want now, and Lee possibly could have been criminal trouble.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Nope. Can't see them getting anything, since he already paid up once before in this matter. It was settled. He didn't go back out and retweet it again after the settlement, so I don't see where he's liable. I'd go after the original tweeter, if anyone.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    If the "elderly couple" (this is Florida, 73 and 71 are hardly elderly) didn't sign anything saying they waived the right to sue for anything related to this incident when they cashed the $10K check, this is a litigious society after all. I noted they said they were "keeping everything locked". I wonder if they left out "and loaded"???

Top Bottom