Sources on setting up your own gun drills?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Maybe I'm just reading your posts in the wrong context, or maybe I did a poor job stating my intentions, but the vibe I'm getting from you is that practicing on my own is pointless and I can only get better if I attend a class. If im reading out of context, I apologize. If I'm understanding you correctly, that's pure BS.

Now let me restate my intentions. I'm looking for ways to mix up my shooting, when shooting on my property, to make it both more fun and more beneficial.

I understand you' teach classes, and I respect that, but that is not what I'm currently looking for. When time and finances provide me the opportunity to start taking classes, then I will begin looking for a class that fits what I'm looking for.

I don't remember him saying anything about you taking a class. He said you needed to know where to focus to get the most out of your drills. He also pointed you to some videos where you can find the information he mentioned.

I am going to be the dissenting opinion on taking a class to find the information you want. I've taken a bunch of classes. I really enjoy taking classes. However, only a couple have really focused on the information you're looking to learn. You could spend some quality time with Coach, or go to someone who's competition oriented and it would be time well spent. Outside of that, most of the classes you see advertised are not going to focus on serious speed and accuracy.

You should definitely seek to understand the topics Coach has discussed. Developing great trigger control and learning to see what you need to see, getting adequate visual feedback from your sights, etc. You can find drills and discussion on pistol-training.com, Ben Stoeger's website (I think was listed above), and other places. I think its worthwhile to focus. Pick one or two fundamentals or basic skills and find or develop a drill to work those things. Perform drills you can repeat and that are trackable for time or score so you can keep track of your progress.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Top Bottom