Sorting out a new Ruger 10/22 Carbine...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    For those who may be interested, this is how I clean up a 10/22 bolt and eliminate the thousand-round break-in so often recommended. After this simple treatment, the new rifle will be almost as slick as a 70's model.

I've found a sheet of 220 grit sandpaper to be about ideal for this. It's course enough to remove metal but fine enough to leave an appropriate surface finish. Lay the paper on a flat surface. A granite surface plate would be best, but most of you non-machinists can make do using the kitchen counter. As shown in the following photos, apply steady pressure downward over the area being polished and move the bolt in the direction shown. Do this until the bolt feels smooth in your hand. When all the small, sticky burrs are removed and the corners gently rounded, things will work much more smoothly.

photo28_zpscf4dfd97.jpg

photo29_zpsd8fa1236.jpg

photo30_zps89341c2c.jpg

On the lower rear of the bolt where it rides over the hammer on opening, grind and polish this to a smooth radius. It will really smooth out the operation of the action. The bolt on my new rifle was a terrible mess and took quite a bit of work to blend into something usable.

photo31_zps8f778df5.jpg

No pics, but I also polish the bolt spring/handle with some Simichrome metal polish, then clean and oil everything and you're good to go.

Garand41

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Trafalgar
    Great little rifle. I bought mine in the early 70's at Deer and Son's, Franklin. It has served me well all these years with just a little cleaning. Oh, and the price..... $69.95!!

Scout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    near Fort Wayne
    I inherited two. One is about an 84 model, the other is a 69. Gave the "new" one to my brother, an am refinishing the stock on the older. Also been doing q lot of reading on mods for these rifles.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    The 10/22

It can't be said too often..........The best source of info on a 10/22 is Rimfire Central. If a modification can be done to the gun, it has been done by somebody there hundreds of times.

ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    As part of an overall strategy to conserve ammo until the current hysteria dies down, I've been doing dry fire drills with the 10/22 almost every evening. The Tech-Sights completely change the dynamics of this little rifle and I can't recommend them enough if you're interested in developing your shooting skills!

I'm getting underway with an AR15 DCM build, with intentions of getting into active competition this summer. The near-identical sight picture offered by the Tech-Sights should make my entry into competition easier, as a result of promoting an increased focus on developing the fundamentals. For the time being, dry fire is going to make up a lot of my trigger time.

Fortunately, parts and ammo prices are coming down and availability is becoming less sporadic. I think about three months is all the hysteria the human mind can handle before it starts seeking out something else to worry over! :laugh:

Top Bottom