• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    Kind of sounds like a plated or jacketed round nose. I'm betting HP rounds would have opened up a bit and stopped before all those impacts... but who knows.
    Hey, OP... you found the round, right? Pics?

IT actually WAS a HP Speer! Can you believe that?! I thought an HP would have a better time stopping due to the expansion. I don't know, but I'd hate to see what an FMJ would have done...

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    1911s do not have a decocker. If you want it on safe, you flip up the thumb safety. If you want it on safer safest most saftey-afetyest... drop the mag, lock the slide back, lay it down, walk away.
    I think the perpetrator of the ND in this incident should go with the #2 example that you posted, at least until he's had some right proper training in the handling of firearms which Plinkuh has already suggested to him.

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    Kind of sounds like a plated or jacketed round nose. I'm betting HP rounds would have opened up a bit and stopped before all those impacts... but who knows.
    Hey, OP... you found the round, right? Pics?

Found the round, and was so PISSED at the time, I just threw it out. I didn't want that memory around me. Should have given it to him. Damn 20/20 hindsight.

EDIT: Actually here, I found it in the trash (I KNOW, TRASH DIGGER right?). It was a Federal not a Speer, my fault.

2zt90ma.jpg

Not much expansion, and I think that's what caused it to penetrate so far.

Last edited:

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    IT actually WAS a HP Speer! Can you believe that?!
    Sure wouldn't have guessed that.
    Do you think you could recreate the scenario with FMJ and post the differences?

I'm KIDDING. ;)
    (levity and all)

Found the round, and was so PISSED at the time, I just threw it out. I didn't want that memory around me. Should have given it to him. Damn 20/20 hindsight.
    Oh, man...I'd have kept that thing forever. It's a good object lesson for teaching anybody about safety.
    I say go dig it out of the trash.

Again...KIDDING!!! :D (sorta)

Edit;
    Hey trash-diggin'-OP... You da MAN.

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    Sure wouldn't have guessed that.
    Do you think you could recreate the scenario with FMJ and post the differences?

I'm KIDDING. ;)
    (levity and all)

Oh, man...I'd have kept that thing forever. It's a good object lesson for teaching anybody about safety.
    I say go dig it out of the trash.

Again...KIDDING!!! :D (sorta)

NO NO! I edited my post, I dug it outta the trash! Look above ^

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy

EDIT: Actually here, I found it in the trash (I KNOW, TRASH DIGGER right?). It was a Federal not a Speer, my fault.

2zt90ma.jpg

Not much expansion, and I think that's what caused it to penetrate so far.

I say encase it in clear epoxy and then frame it and hang it on his living room wall. And tell him it has to stay there until you feel he has learned his lesson

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that neither you or him will ever forget this experience. Learning experiences are much better when nobody gets hurt. Just thank God no one did!

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I just wanna go on record here and say that I have'nt edited my post. :D (BTW...JG. "safety-aftetyest"?) :):

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    Scary stuff. I am paranoid of something like that happening to me. I am a safety nazi when it comes to guns in my house, but it only takes one screw up (i didnt think it was loaded, let me decock this real quick, safety is on, etc). this has happened to reputable trainers, it can happen to anyone. glad noone was hurt.

Top Bottom