• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    We've had a skunk hanging around for a month or so now... haven't gotten a good look at him, but he's messed up the dogs a few times.

This morning, I went out with the spotlight to make sure it was all clear for the dogs, and there he was, just about 30 yards away from the deck, in the perfect position to be dispatched.

I rushed inside, grabbed the wife's quiet little .22, and went to the ammo closet.

.223... shotgun shells... .45 ACP...

WHERE THE HELL ARE MY .22 LR'S!?!?!?!?!?!

I know I've got at least a thousand rounds of that crap, and I can't find a single shell! :xmad::bash::wallbash:

bmwdud

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2010
    fort wayne
    ya they stink
    i had to rescue my mom about 4 years ago at 1:00 am when she got sprayed in the face
    i don't what they tell you to use the stink stays awhile
    got a good laugh about it weeks later
    don't be up wind when you take him out or he will still get the last shot off

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    don't be up wind when you take him out or he will still get the last shot off

Second-story deck, skunk to east, thick woods behind him, wind usually blows north or south here. Like I said, he was in the perfect position.

Oh well, now I know when to look for him. Time to set the alarm a little earlier...

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner

I know I've got at least a thousand rounds of that crap, and I can't find a single shell! :xmad::bash::wallbash:

I have a few thousand. You shoulda just called...
    P.S. You might have had to detain him until I got there.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.

Slacker. .22lr shells breed like cockroaches around here. Shame on you for only having 1k of them! :D:D:D

I live trapped a skunk on my porch one day. Now THAT is a dilemma! I ended up throwing a piece of plastic over the trap and carrying it a hundred yards downwind of the house and then shooting the skunk through the bars of the trap. It didn't musk until I shot it. I just left the trap out there for a couple days then gloved up to go dispose of the carcass.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I have a few thousand. You shoulda just called...
    P.S. You might have had to detain him until I got there.

Yeah, I'll just go out and wrestle him to the ground... :)::rolleyes:

Or, I could just stop at Wal-Mart on the way home from work. Fastest way to find what's lost is to buy replacements. I'll get home with new ammo and find the old ammo 5 minutes later.

shawkpilot

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2008
    Lawrenceburg
    If you get a humane trap, once you catch it, grab a big blanket, hold it up in front of you and slowly walk towards it. Make sure you talk nicely to it, kinda like you're talking to your dog, as to not alarm it. Once over it, cover the cage, then you could pick it up, carry to your truck and relocate the stinker to another area. That way the skunk lives, and you don't have to worry about smelling it again.

Or you could set up your post and shoot it just as it wanders out of sight. I don't know that I would kill it within 30 yards of the house.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I know what you mean Fletch...a friend of my Dads said shoot
    them in the spine, it paralizes them an then they don't stink...
    I've yet to see it work on about 5 that I have shot including
    a 12 ga. with a slug....ha....I'm wondering if a live trap cage
    with a blanket over it would keep it calm....then try walking it off
    away from the house...if you live in the country...an then shooting
    it there...?

Goosepond Monster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    Ellettsville
    I had three hanging around under my shed last summer. I was having a cookout one evening and out of the corner of my eye I saw something move, so I looked over to see three skunks cruising around the backyard. Unfortunately I live in town, so I am unable to discharge a firearm in order to dispatch them. Technically I can't even shoot the BB gun, but I did take a couple of shots at them. I'm just hoping there aren't back this year, because I fear they may have found their way under the deck later in the summer.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    I trapped one and then very slowly hooked a rake with a rope tied to it into the bars of the trap. (The live trap was inside a pool house, I thought I was trapping a coon.) I unreeled the rope and then very slowly, inch by inch towed the cage outside and onto the grass. Did similar to what the above poster said and head shot it. It didn't spray but the stink sort of leaked out in a puddle. It stunk out there for days.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I'd be cool with live trapping it, I just can't help but think I'd be making someone else's life miserable by dumping it in their back yard. I suppose one of the sections of woods near one of the large cattle ranches would work...

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    I'm wondering if a live trap cage
    with a blanket over it would keep it calm....then try walking it off
    away from the house...if you live in the country...an then shooting
    it there...?

Tried the blanket trick once when one cute lil juvie skunk got into our crawlspace then into the laundry room. Lil bastige sprayed out the bottom of the cage
    the whole way out of the house.
    The way we found out we had a guest was when it wandered out of the laundry room into the family room to watch tv with us and the dog. We all did a double take including the dog and skunk. How none of us got sprayed that night is a mystery.lol Next day after trapping it with tuna in the cage the fun began. Even now skunk smells like coffe grounds to me.

8oz 3percent Hydrogen Peroxide
    1tsp baking soda
    1 drop liquid hand soap
    Works best IMHO to neutralize the smell.

Sure as heck my beagle would be rolling in whereever it sprayed its final shot.lol

Goodluck

Indiana_Dave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Slacker. .22lr shells breed like cockroaches around here. Shame on you for only having 1k of them! :D:D:D

I live trapped a skunk on my porch one day. Now THAT is a dilemma! I ended up throwing a piece of plastic over the trap and carrying it a hundred yards downwind of the house and then shooting the skunk through the bars of the trap. It didn't musk until I shot it. I just left the trap out there for a couple days then gloved up to go dispose of the carcass.

Yah, one good idea is to tie a rope to the trap before you catch him, then you can pull the trap and him out to the woods. We did this, shot him, and just opened the trap. The coyotes took him away - now there is a nasty meal.

Top Bottom