• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    :ar15:My son's going to spend some of his tax refund on either an AR or AK. probably looking to not spend too much more than $800. Hoping to find an AR at a good price, because I reload the .223. But also considering the AK for Ruggedness and Reliablity. Now I've seen the high speed cameras showing the barrels flexing on the AKs so Accuracy has been a concern for me, although an AK is on my shooping list. Are the civillian version more accurate? Are the Romainian ones really the best? Or should he look at Century arms? Point me in the right direction.

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    You can purchase a top of the line AK for that price. If you want a AR for that price try LMT, Bushmaster, Smith and Wesson.

NWIeng

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Hammond
    My vote is for the AR. Owned both, stuck with the AR.

The AK's are everything they are advertised. I just think the AR has the upside in customizability, if that's a word.

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    K-VAR Corporation :: Rifles & Shotguns :: SLR-106 Series – 5.56x45 Caliber Bulgarian Stamped Receiver AK-74 Variant Rifles :: SLR106-34

d_1287.jpg

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Personally Id also go with the AR. My preference would be 1. Colt 2. Rock River 3. Bushmaster/ S&W. Your son might want to build his own which would save him some money. Or buy a upper and a complete lower which still might be cheaper. Though you and him both should check out the :ingo: AR open house coming up. There will be lots of eye-candy.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    AR-15!!!

Another brand that a lot of the guys I work with including myself, is DPMS. They are not one of the big names but, together we prolly have about a dozen of them with thousands and thousands of rounds through them and not one problem. :twocents:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Honestly if you are not going to be shooting over 100 yards, I would stick with the AK it has more punch. Yes you may loose some accuracy, but you can not beat the reliability.

smitty12b

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Romy's aren't bad but not the best by a long shot. I personally won't own a century build. I have owned a couple century's in the past and they were not well put together canted sights, canted gas block are very normal with century, and a pain to fix. If you and your son are handy with tools try a saiga. You can get a un-restored saiga for pretty cheap, turn it into a real russian ak for less than 150 and have enough left over for plenty of ammo.

That being said, once you have an AR the options are almost endless and unless you are going "in the bush" or playing in sand and muc, the AR is just a reliable as the ak.:twocents:

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    i own both and id chose to spend that money on an AR15, DMPS can usually be picked up new for about 800. My AK is reliable but anything near or over 100yds is almost out of the question. with my AR, ive hit 300, 400 and 500 consistently.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    :ar15:My son's going to spend some of his tax refund on either an AR or AK. probably looking to not spend too much more than $800. Hoping to find an AR at a good price, because I reload the .223. But also considering the AK for Ruggedness and Reliablity. Now I've seen the high speed cameras showing the barrels flexing on the AKs so Accuracy has been a concern for me, although an AK is on my shooping list. Are the civillian version more accurate? Are the Romainian ones really the best? Or should he look at Century arms? Point me in the right direction.
    Repeat after me, AR, AR, AR.....

CW9

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2009
    Greenwood
    I own and AR, AK and a SKS, AR is fun a accurate, AK is cheap, and my favorite is my SKS. just looks good and functions non stop with out any problems. But if your your looking for the best I would go with an AR.

alan robert

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Indiana
    Try shooting both the AK and AR, before you decide on a choice.

Go to the AK forum or AR15.COM (AK section) and look at all of the countries that have produced the AK rifle. They all work, some are just better.

Russian, Yugoslavian, Bulgarian, Chinese, and Egyptian are just a few.

AR's are very plentiful, many brands, and prices. CMMG has bargain barrel rifles for $599, as a example. For information and window shopping go to gunbroker.com and type in AR15 rifle. AR15.COM's Equipment Exchange is another place to look.

There is the Century Arms Golani AK variant rifle in .223. Good reviews on the later versions with the recall upgrades and Caspian receiver. Reliability and accuracy for less, than you want to spend.

Good luck with what you pick, both the AR and AK platform have their place and pluses.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom