• ...and so much more!
  • pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Keep them comming...

Like I said I pretty well versed in the AR, I own a bone stock Bushmaster that'll shoot better than I do. And I think the AR will be his first choice, But just incase there isn't enough leftover $ for the AR the AK is the back up, he's gotta fiinish putting his 3/4 ton chevy extended cab back to gether, and then another vehicle need repair, so those are things that may eat up some $. And I just haven't look much at the AK's much. I like the AK's Ive seen at Bradis, they are aproaching $500 or more so just like to make a good choice if it comes down to the AK. Thanks!

Last edited:

sprshggy07

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 13, 2010
    Terre Haute
    I second the idea of a saiga and they make a .223 which would help since you reload. A few hand tools and follow some instructions and you have a nice .223 ak that is built from all new parts.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    First off, don't believe all the hype about AK's having terrible accuracy etc. As long as they're quality built, they will shoot fine. Yes, AR's have slightly better accuracy in most cases, but it all depends on what ammo you feed them. The difference between the two isn't as big as the hype makes it sound like.

I have both, several AK's and several AR's. They're both different weapons, and will do different things.

If your son just wants a range gun for plinking, and he wants to shoot for really good groups, and wants to continuously better himself, and plans to clean often, the AR would be a good choice. If he wants a plinking gun to just go out and blast ammo, and doesn't necessarily care to shoot for competition sized groups, but may not necessarily care for it really well, I think an AK would be better.

As far as AK quality goes, Romanian are not the best, they're actually on the lower end, but still OK. I have 2 Vector Polish Ak's and I love them. I can consistently hit an 8" circle plate at 100 yards with open sights. Now I know thats not saying a whole lot for accuracy, but its pretty good. I would also stay away from Century guns. They have a reputation for cutting corners wherever they can, and it seems that somebody has a "crooked" eye there because about half the guns that some out of there have a crooked front sight base. I have a Century built AMD65 that I bought from a member here and the FSB is crooked. I haven't had the time to fix it yet, but its a fairly involved process to do.

I'm not sure if Vector is still making AK's, but I would recommend Vector, Arsenal, any a lot of the smaller builders are good as well.

I've heard a lot of good things about Arizona Response Systems AK's, but personally I think the owner is an ***hole.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    LMT's for $800...????

Yeah, maybe for a used one. I think a new one is going to be just a bit more. You can find complete lowers for $350 and Uppers around $500. But I'm not sure if that includes the bolt carrier.

If you did find one for $800, that would be a good find.

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    i own both and id chose to spend that money on an AR15, DMPS can usually be picked up new for about 800. My AK is reliable but anything near or over 100yds is almost out of the question. with my AR, ive hit 300, 400 and 500 consistently.

Don't put your AKs down until you have tried to get them to shoot at a distance.
    My WASR 10 will shoot 400yds consistently, but it has a scope that is almost as long as the barrel.
    4uj2ad.jpg

Try shooting your AR with a little cross wind, you will wish you had a 7.62 AK.

pinshooter45 you could try this guy, he has a few of AKs in .223cal.
    AK-47 and RPK rifles

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    For around $800 or so, you may be able to find a low end AR and an SKS and have the best of both worlds. I don't own an AK, so cannot comment on one, but Countryboys remarks about the maintenance are pretty accurate in my experience for the AR. I love shooting my AR, but it does take longer to clean and reassemble than the SKS does.

Top Bottom