• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Passive101

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    La Porte
    They are suspecting the ex tenants of our apt of vandalizing our building and our apt. They are ex felons who are apparently violent. They have written F U all over the walls, ripped the carpets, broken windows, cut the cords and hoses to our washer and dryer, thrown balloons full of water into our building and then dumped bottles of dish detergent on the floors. They have vandalized the hot water heater, turned off the power to every unit in the building.

Today they crossed the line. They opened up a water valve flooding the room I use as an office.
    angryfire.gif

I found out from maintenance and by my own assumptions in the past that they recently kicked in our door. The door is split and the frame is broken. Today I requested a new door and a new door frame.

I will be installing a new dead bolt system. I'm looking at the Ultimate Lock 3000 or 4000. 4k is for commercial doors, but if they don't replace my door I'm installing it and not caring. It doesn't look that hard to install as seen here [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2h68QV0xfk]YouTube - How to Install the Ultimate Lock 3000 Residential Deadbolt[/ame]

A week ago very early in the morning someone was jiggling my door handle. By the time I had my glasses on, glock in hand, and looking out the peep hole the person ran up the stairs. In response to this I have taken out their crappy peep sight and installed one with a 200 degree view which lets me now look up the stairs!

Vandals be aware. I work from home. I am home often. My glock is a work horse. It is not the prettiest gun in the world. It is used, has much wear including a little rust. It is the most reliable firearm in the world and has never failed.

They also ruined a bunch of my cigars. We're still attempting to get the water all out with a floor cleaner. We've already taken gallons out and still taking a lot more after 3 hours of using it.

Most of this stuff was done in the commons area. We know they kicked out door in and broke in 3-4 weeks ago.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    That sucks man. I hope someone get their ass thrown in jail.

On that note, I bet a group of INGOers standing around the complex with their AR's and M14's and AK's slung walking around talking to each other just might deter them... :D

BtownBlaster

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    Bloomington
    That sucks man. I hope someone get their ass thrown in jail.

On that note, I bet a group of INGOers standing around the complex with their AR's and M14's and AK's slung walking around talking to each other just might deter them... :D

I like it, INGO Neighborhood Watch! Seriously, though, it might be a good idea to see if you're landlord would hire some security, even if only for a short while. Several years ago, I worked for a private security outfit, and we did a lot of temporary jobs like this. Two or three weeks of saturation patrols can work wonders, believe me.

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    I was going to call a member on this forum about insurance when we had some extra money, but that hasn't happened yet :(

Renters insurance is very cheap. And if you get it through the same place you have your car insurance, it's even cheaper. And SO worth it.

Is the apartment complex going to help with repairs/damage? Hopefully they've filed a police report and gave them the names of the idiots that they think did this so they can be questioned. And I would strongly suggest to the apartment manager that they hire security (armed of course) as someone previously mentioned.

Passive101

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    La Porte
    If we had more money we would consider moving. As it is if they do refuse to fix things here then we will have to consider doing something in the near future with a possible move, but no idea how we would afford something like that.

The room now smells like mold/mildew. Should we tell them to rip the floors up? It has been 85%+ humidity in the room for over 24 hours now. My humidity thermometer is still showing 85%. We are in the lowest level so we are actually below ground some. Our windows start at ground level. Humidity stays in here. It's raining outside and the humidity level is 94% so opening windows is of no help right now.

We will be looking into getting insurance ASAP after this, but we are still are struggling with just figuring out how to come up with next months rent.

Would renters insurance pay to have our floor ripped up and cleaned etc? I know it would have payed for the cigars that are ruined and such. I did have a rifle case get wet, but the rifle is fine thankfully and absorbed no water as it's rubber boot was at the bottom.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    The room now smells like mold/mildew. Should we tell them to rip the floors up? It has been 85%+ humidity in the room for over 24 hours now. My humidity thermometer is still showing 85%. We are in the lowest level so we are actually below ground some. Our windows start at ground level. Humidity stays in here. It's raining outside and the humidity level is 94% so opening windows is of no help right now.

Mold (toxic) is a health issue, guess you could let the know you are going
    to call the health department..... might be empty gesture but might get a response.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Mold (toxic) is a health issue, guess you could let the know you are going
    to call the health department..... might be empty gesture but might get a response.

First tell them you want a new apartment just like the one you have now or bigger for the same price. If they refuse, call the health department and THEN let them know you did it.

I had problems with a birds nest and them craping all over our hallway. I asked the apartment to clean it up and they just smeared it all over in front of our door. I told them to either clean it or I would call the Health Dept. and they still did nothing. I finally called them and the next day the apt. guys power washed it. I was pissed.

I'll never rent an apartment again in my life. Some places you can rent houses cheaper...

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    First tell them you want a new apartment just like the one you have now or bigger for the same price. If they refuse, call the health department and THEN let them know you did it.

SavageEagle is right. You need to tell them you want another apartment immediately. Not only is it a health risk for you to stay there, but it is also a safety risk for you to remain in an apartment that has been broken into/vandalized multiple times. If they say no, tell them you're going to call the Health Dept. If they still say no, call not only the Health Dept, but Rafael Sanchez with "Call 6 For Help" too.

They are responsible for all repairs and maintenance of the apartment. If floors and carpets need to be replaced, it is their responsibility. Not yours.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    I currently rent an apt. First thing I ALWAYS do is change the locks and THEN give a spare set to the manager. It's easier to apologize than ask for permission.
    Renters insurance is a must. Although it doesn't cover the repair of the owners property it will cover your expenses in case anything happens such as what you have going on. Have the local LEO been informed by you about what's going on? That can also be used as extra pressure for the landlord to do something.
    Just my .02
    +100 on contacting the media

Bob

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    Renters insurance is very inexpensive and when you pay monthly it is hardly a burdon.

As stated, it willnot cover the door etc because you do not own it, but it will cover what you own and help you out with other things.

Top Bottom