• Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    So, no alarms on police cars eh?

I hope if that gun is used in the commission of a crime, that the officer involved is held at least partially liable.

I wonder what the departments policy is on leaving an "unattended/unsecured" firearm in a vehicle?

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Why can't these guys either take their handguns inside with them, or put them in a locked box under the seat? This is getting to be an epidemic.

Yeah, because only cops have their guns stolen from their vehicles.

From the Official Firearm Theft Report Thread:

Reported by DJDan

Would you please add my gun to this thread. I don't have a pic of the firearm but this is a fairly detailed description including SN.

Thank you,

Dan

It's a Kel-Tec PF-9 with Silver slide and black lower. It also had a Hogue style grip on it that was trimmed to fit. It's serial number is R7J48. It was in a fitted Don Hume reddish brown leather holster.
    It was stolen from my vehicle on July 14 2009 early in the morning.
    317 508 3506

Originally Posted by JimFloyd
    A good friend just notified me that his vehicle was broken into at Castleton Square late Monday evening and two handguns were stolen:

Originally Posted by pathfinder317
    I have a stolen handgun I would appreciate if you could post as a heads up.

Glock 23
    serial # KLF 118

Stolen out of my car on 10-04-08

Maybe you should make negative comments about your fellow non-LEO INGO members who were dumb/reckless enough to leave a firearm in their vehicle.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Nice find frank.:)

I had my truck stolen in November. Inside was my truck gun, when I got it back 3 weeks later my truck gun was still under the dash where I keep it.

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    i cant understand why anyone would leave a gun in their car when its parked at their house, po-lice or no.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Nice find frank.:)

I had my truck stolen in November. Inside was my truck gun, when I got it back 3 weeks later my truck gun was still under the dash where I keep it.

Glad you got everything back. People need to realize that **** happens, to LEOs and non-LEOs alike. But its no fun to talk **** about non-LEOs.

i cant understand why anyone would leave a gun in their car when its parked at their house, po-lice or no.

I have forgotten to take my handgun out of both my personal vehicle and my po-lice car, usually when I get home from somewhere and have things to carry inside or trying to keep tabs on my 5 yr old. I try not to consciously leave it in there and luckily I have never had anyone steal it.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Glad you got everything back. People need to realize that **** happens, to LEOs and non-LEOs alike. But its no fun to talk **** about non-LEOs.

I have forgotten to take my handgun out of both my personal vehicle and my po-lice car, usually when I get home from somewhere and have things to carry inside or trying to keep tabs on my 5 yr old. I try not to consciously leave it in there and luckily I have never had anyone steal it.
    I just sewed a holster to the back of my 4 year olds shirts. She can't reach the gun on the center of her back, and it's a perfect reminder not to leave either one in the car overnight. When I'm not packing a heater, I put donuts and wet-naps in there.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Yeah, because only cops have their guns stolen from their vehicles.

From the Official Firearm Theft Report Thread:

Reported by DJDan

Would you please add my gun to this thread. I don't have a pic of the firearm but this is a fairly detailed description including SN.

Thank you,

Dan

It's a Kel-Tec PF-9 with Silver slide and black lower. It also had a Hogue style grip on it that was trimmed to fit. It's serial number is R7J48. It was in a fitted Don Hume reddish brown leather holster.
    It was stolen from my vehicle on July 14 2009 early in the morning.
    317 508 3506

Originally Posted by JimFloyd
    A good friend just notified me that his vehicle was broken into at Castleton Square late Monday evening and two handguns were stolen:

Originally Posted by pathfinder317
    I have a stolen handgun I would appreciate if you could post as a heads up.

Glock 23
    serial # KLF 118

Stolen out of my car on 10-04-08

Maybe you should make negative comments about your fellow non-LEO INGO members who were dumb/reckless enough to leave a firearm in their vehicle.

I wasn't trying to bash LEOs, per se, but I would think that they would pay a bit more attention to it, since it IS a part of their work-wear, and something they handle on a daily basis (even if that IS just putting it in their holster). I assume that, at the end of the day, they take it off of their belt, along with their handcuffs, flashlight, etc. Is it such an imposition to expect them to at least wait until they get to their front door before doing that? In the alternative, maybe IMPD could provide secure lockboxes for LEOs to put their guns in after their shift? I don't know, but it just seems like a really bad deal to have criminals know that there is a pretty good chance of a nice weapon or two in any squad car they see parked in a driveway. It's like putting a criminal magnet on your property.

I regularly taunt people because they leave their gun in their car. Up until recently, however, most of the people I know who had done that had lived in the boondocks where they didn't even lock their house, and just never thought about it. However, I think that one BAD result of the new law is that more people are going to be leaving their handguns in their cars while at work, and as a direct result, more handguns are going to be stolen from cars.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    My handgun is part of my daily gear too, but today I walked out of the house without it.
    :dunno:

I wasn't trying to bash LEOs, per se, but I would think that they would pay a bit more attention to it, since it IS a part of their work-wear, and something they handle on a daily basis (even if that IS just putting it in their holster). I assume that, at the end of the day, they take it off of their belt, along with their handcuffs, flashlight, etc. Is it such an imposition to expect them to at least wait until they get to their front door before doing that? In the alternative, maybe IMPD could provide secure lockboxes for LEOs to put their guns in after their shift? I don't know, but it just seems like a really bad deal to have criminals know that there is a pretty good chance of a nice weapon or two in any squad car they see parked in a driveway. It's like putting a criminal magnet on your property.

I regularly taunt people because they leave their gun in their car. Up until recently, however, most of the people I know who had done that had lived in the boondocks where they didn't even lock their house, and just never thought about it. However, I think that one BAD result of the new law is that more people are going to be leaving their handguns in their cars while at work, and as a direct result, more handguns are going to be stolen from cars.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove

I figure if a few respectable LEOs make suggestions to their agency, MAYBE someone will take one of the suggestions to heart, and put out a memo, which could POSSIBLY result have a significant impact, and can be enforced if necessary.

Making a suggestion to a friend might go to 3 or 4 others, but will not have an appreciable affect on the outcome, and no "memo" that ANY of us would put out would have any affect at all.

Geeeez, FNS, I'm not bashing LEOs, but I could by saying "of ALL people, they should know better!" I was merely TRYING to point out that if a criminal is looking for a gun to steal, and he is willing to break into cars to get them, a MUCH higher percentage of police have firearms than non-LEOs, so a logical assumption is that a higher percentage of unattended police cars will have firearms in them. So, a simple cost/benefit analysis indicates that rather than break into 40 non-LEO cars to find one, it is better to break into ONE police car to get one.

OAK

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    TH

Take this as you want...

What's the obvious difference between your cop car and my car? (lights, decals, antennas, special tags, JIC front bumper) I don't care if it's UC it's still noticable. Your car has a bullseye on it for theft, because everybody knows what do police in the US carry or have in their car everyday? A GUN!

Sh** does happen! It just looks worse when "The Higher Standard" can't properly take care of business, weather that being securing a weapon or anything else. Police are always in the public's eye....

I've NEVER EVER left a firearm in my vehicle EVER! If I can't carry everything on my first trip I walk my happy as* back outside for another trip! Leaving a non-secured firearm in your car is improper and reckless!

I'm not anti-LEO, I'm usually one of the first to show support! But what I am
    is anti-stupid!

But hey STUPID HAPPENS TOO!

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Take this as you want...

What's the obvious difference between your cop car and my car? (lights, decals, antennas, special tags, JIC front bumper) I don't care if it's UC it's still noticable. Your car has a bullseye on it for theft, because everybody knows what do police in the US carry or have in their car everyday? A GUN!

Sh** does happen! It just looks worse when "The Higher Standard" can't properly take care of business, weather that being securing a weapon or anything else. Police are always in the public's eye....

I've NEVER EVER left a firearm in my vehicle EVER! If I can't carry everything on my first trip I walk my happy as* back outside for another trip! Leaving a non-secured firearm in your car is improper and reckless!

I'm not anti-LEO, I'm usually one of the first to show support! But what I am
    is anti-stupid!

But hey STUPID HAPPENS TOO!

Where can I sign up for the "Path to perfection" class taught by Mr. Oak?

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    My handgun is part of my daily gear too, but today I walked out of the house without it.
    :dunno:

I've gotten to work before I realized I'd forgotten my wallet a few times, and I've been carrying a wallet for far far longer than I've been carrying a gun. I've also forgotten my glasses a couple of times. S*it does happen. There's no disputing that. I just think if it was some sort of policy, or "official suggestion," that people would stand a better chance of remembering.

I've ragged on people who leave their guns in their cars quite often, and have done so in a few threads here. Yes, sometimes people forget them, but an attitude of "I'll just leave this here in my car" isn't quite the standard that I would most appreciate.

OAK

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    TH
    Where can I sign up for the "Path to perfection" class taught by Mr. Oak?

Serious? Where's your famous purple text color?

You own/carry/shoot a firearm guess what?

YOUR RESPONSABLE!

I had 6 firearms stolen from my apartment.... Non where in a gun safe! I didn't have insurance to cover that loss. I was NOT responsable in securing my weapons. You take the risk and liability of not securing your arms.

It takes a minute! Never once have I missed something important by taking time to secure my weapon! I learned the hard way.

BTW:
    You couldn't afford to attend my class...

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Serious? Where's your famous purple text color?

You own/carry/shoot a firearm guess what?

YOUR RESPONSABLE!

I had 6 firearms stolen from my apartment.... Non where in a gun safe! I didn't have insurance to cover that loss. I was NOT responsable in securing my weapons. You take the risk and liability of not securing your arms.

It takes a minute! Never once have I missed something important by taking time to secure my weapon! I learned the hard way.

BTW:
    You couldn't afford to attend my class...

Wait, wut?

Your preaching responsibility and your guns were not in a safe.
    :rofl:

You have personally put 6 weapons in the hands of criminals.

Your high horse is looking more like a miniature pony.

Top Bottom