Somebody stole my tree stand...from my property!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erik7941

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2008
    Noblesville
    I've never had any of my tree stands stolen but I have taken a few since the guy that lives behind me, lets people hunt on his property. These people come onto my property (despite the no trespassing signs EVERYWHERE) and set up stands. One year my dad and I go 3 new stands, all well inside my property, and the guys who put them up would have had to pass at least two NO TRESPASSING signs each, to put them up. Now I have a problem with one guy (the only one with permission to hunt the property behind mine now) that has his treestand on my fence row. The ladder is on his side, but the tree is clearly on my side of the fence, and that is the property line (I looked it up). But the DNR won't do anything about it so I may have another new stand soon.

semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell

Resurrecting old thread , I found a pic of my stand locked up to show how I do it. It prevents someone using it when I am not there and adds a couple locks for them to cut besides the ones around the tree. I just have to unlock the two u locks to fold foot platform down to hunt. Only problem was once a keyhole was iced so I had to breath into it for a few minutes to get my key into it. Using this method is the longest I have had a stand last keeping it up all season in public woods. (knocking on wood right now)

blackoak

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Why are you so sure it was a trapper or dog runner. Trapping season is not in. A trapper doesn't use a tree stand. A dog runner doesn't use a tree stand. Another deer hunter will use tree stands. I'm betting your wrong on who you saying stole your stand. Whoever it was is a low life SOB and I hope you find out who it was

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I like to take an extra tree stand a lot of times and lay it on the ground where I can see it from mine if I'm lazy about it or a lot of times I'll carry in a climber and set up where I can see another stand I've used a lot.

Watching for thieves and tresspassers is almost as much fun as the deer hunting. They do exactly the same thing the deer do. Walk straight over to the empty stand. Look straight up at it. Then they look around them like they are looking for any one near by, then they reveal their true character. What they do when they think no one is watching. I kind of doubt it's the same thing they do when the police are watching or what they say they do on the internet.

stationhollow

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    by the river
    Might wanna think about some permanent ladder stands. sounds like the girls might need them in the future anyway. fresh orange paint on the fence posts seems to help let people know your around also. forget about it and build ya a triple ladder stand.GOOD LUCK AND BE SAFE

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    I have had the problem of unauthorized tree stand m my place If you leave it it is mine.

Just as a side note to this comment, a DNR officer visited one of my wifes family members that was in possession of a stand that was illegally placed on his property by a trespasser. He had taken it down and the owner called it in stolen DNR went to her uncle's house and asked if he had it he said yes and was advised that he was in possession of stolen property no matter whether it was illegally placed or not.

Not condoning either action just an FYI

Ed p.

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Greenfield
    I found a couple of stands a few years back on a farm i was hunting,i took them down and placed them at base of trees and a few days later caught the guy coming in to hunt.He told me he thought the property belonged to the farmer he was hunting on.Honest mistake maybe,but didnt have anymore trouble with him.Couldve taken his stands but thought it would only lead to my stands being taken.I have seen the farmer next to the property i hunt on put a note in a ziplock baggy saying if stands are not removed by certain date he will remove and keep them,stands are usually removed the morning they come in to hunt them lol. Sorry bout yours being taken THAT SUCKS!!!

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    I'm not a hunter, but why would someone leave thier property in public woods? Doesn't make it right to take it, but at the same time, if I left my things out at a park I wouldn't feel I had much room to be upset if they "walked off". I'm not trying to be a jerk - I just don't understand why it was kept out there, from the other comments, I assume this may be a common practice among hunters? I get not wanting to lug it back and forth all season, but it just seems like it's asking for trouble to me.

As to the stolen property on someones personal property, yeah, leave it on my property and I'll "Never saw it Officer" all the way while I'm hanging my brand new gun rack made from "scrap metal" I had up in a tree. (And that's if I'm in a good mood - I really think it would be more fun to cover it in molasses).

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Just as a side note to this comment, a DNR officer visited one of my wifes family members that was in possession of a stand that was illegally placed on his property by a trespasser. He had taken it down and the owner called it in stolen DNR went to her uncle's house and asked if he had it he said yes and was advised that he was in possession of stolen property no matter whether it was illegally placed or not.

9/10 civil disputes are going to be settled in the favor of the person who calls the cops first unless one or the other takes it further in court.

Document, document, document, or just SSS and practice No, I don't know what you are talking about.

1donos

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I found a couple of stands a few years back on a farm i was hunting,i took them down and placed them at base of trees and a few days later caught the guy coming in to hunt.He told me he thought the property belonged to the farmer he was hunting on.Honest mistake maybe,but didnt have anymore trouble with him.Couldve taken his stands but thought it would only lead to my stands being taken.I have seen the farmer next to the property i hunt on put a note in a ziplock baggy saying if stands are not removed by certain date he will remove and keep them,stands are usually removed the morning they come in to hunt them lol. Sorry bout yours being taken THAT SUCKS!!!

you must believe in karma!

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove

Wow, that seems.....wrong.

So, if someone trespasses on my property and drops their iPod, I guess if I kept it, *I* would be the criminal? Seems bassackwards.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Wow, that seems.....wrong.

So, if someone trespasses on my property and drops their iPod, I guess if I kept it, *I* would be the criminal? Seems bassackwards.

If they are tresspassers they are criminals. If they KNOW you have it then they KNEW they were tresspassing so they are also liars. No surprise there, tresspasser = criminal = liar. Now the call the police and tell them you stole their property and you have it in your possession. You admit you have it and the police come and get it. :dunno:

I don't understand where the surprise is in all of this.

Document, document, document, prosecute every single opportunity you get. Put the lieing criminal tresspassers in jail or cause them every possible harm or injury, fines, arrest, penalty you can at every opportunity you get.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    So if I cut a tree down and "didn't check for the tree stand" do I have to pay if it's on my property?

I'm off to see if any tree stands are set up on my property.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    So I guess the answer would be..

"Officer, before we talk about their property, I would first like to press trespass charges"

kwatters

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Central Indiana

Sounds like the DNR guys brother in law wanted his stand back.

Top Bottom