Somebody stole my tree stand...from my property!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    Deer stands aren't that expensive. I just don't get how these people sleep at night.

About 2 years ago, in Avon, there was another hunter who kept butting heads with Jakal. He was rude, dangerous, and an outright danger to society. One morning he brought about 9 people with him to hunt a 20 acre stretch right on top of us!!! Then Jakal finds this guys young teenage nephew sitting in the back of a pickup truck... alone... loaded shotgun pointed across the public road! :n00b: On yet another evening we went to get in one of our treestands and guess who was there... sitting in our treestand... without permission. Jakal had been hunting on this farner's land for many years and the other guy was pretty new. We went to the landowner but they were apparently in some duck hunting club together so he didn't do anything about it. Talk about FURY!!!

We finally gave up and moved to Martinsville. :yesway: My poor heart just can't take idiocy like I used to.

Glocker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    People are rude when it comes to being out in the wilderness. We were camping last week and had a spot already with tents and fire area all set up and in comes these 3 camping trailers just came in and parked about 50 feet from our site...close enough to hear each others conversations over a camp fire. My father claimed he even reserved the site before hand with DNR but I dunno if he just said that to get them to leave or what though.

They got mad and said we didn't own the area and things were said ect. and we were pretty much forced to get along with them. It ruined the experince of us just being us out in the wild away from people. If we wanted neighbors we would have gone into the actuall camp grounds where they had facilities and peopled crammed next to each others camp sites.

redneck919

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2009
    southside
    i wouldnt lock up my treestand.id just place a few beartraps around the base of the tree and camo them in a little bit. and see if anyone is daring enough to steal it..

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I do have cable locks on both of mine. But a guy I used to work with told me about a time he had one of his up at Mississinewa in an area he hunts. When he went back it was gone, it had a cable lock on it, but they used bolt cutters and it was laying on the ground.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I will be building a house in a 17 acre woods. I challenge someone to get caught messing around in there.

Woo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    New Castle
    I will be building a house in a 17 acre woods. I challenge someone to get caught messing around in there.

I am the same way but its just hard to keep track all the time. But if they get caught on my property there will be "words".
    We had a situtation right after we get it built and moved him with some minnow gatherers on the creek. I can gurantee those to old dudes will never be back. The cop that was there when I was yelling at these 2 guys was dumbfounded.

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I also had a tree stand taken from my property. They took everything, even the little hangers screwed into the tree! I should have locked it, might have helped, but what I thought that I really should have done is rig it so the ladder would give way somewhere around the top...wouldn't help with liability I'm sure. What I really need is a permenant stand down there...it's just real nice not having to lug a climber down there. What really sucks is I liked that stand, a hanger, but I had the non-typical ladder type ladder with it, and it was on my property!

semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    I have had two ladder stands stolen at Jasper Pulaski. With my new one I deeply etched my name on every section, and I have two very heavy chain and locks thru the seat and around the tree. The foot platform is suspended by cables so when I leave I fold it up against the ladder and put two heavy locks thru the platform and ladder, this makes it difficult for someone to climb up the ladder to the seat section. So a thief will have four locks to cut to get it.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    If I catch someone on my property, they will be kept there at gunpoint til the police arrive. At that point, I will press charges. I figure if I can do that a couple times, the word might get out to the dirtbags not to come on my property.

AF92venger

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    NE of Indy, but not too far!
    I know exactly how you feel buddy!! It really sucks!! The 2nd wkd of Oct this year, I took my 2 cousins hunting. One of them already had a stand in my woods. I had a lock-on with 20ft of climbing sticks, a 3 different ladder stands. Well, when we all walked back, we went our seperate ways. I went to my stand, one cousin went to his stand, and my other cousin went to one of my others...WELL, when he got to it... It was GONE!!! He called me and I just couldnt believe it. I also got a trail camera stolen last year in the same woods.

My cousin called me yesterday and said that his Lock-On was taken this past wkd!! Boy was he PO-ed!!! lol....

Best of luck to ya

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I hate a thief. I'd like see one caught with a game camera and have his picture distributed for all to see.

The sports of hunting and fishing need less thieves and poachers and more sportsmen and sportswomen of integrity.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I hate d-bags that steal stuff like that. Was out this weekend and was going to hang a stand I bought on close-out last year. As I was putting it together, when my cousin told me not to leave it. People were coming from the back side of the property and stealing them. :xmad::xmad::xmad:

XDinmyXJ

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    That sucks. Normally i wouldn't condone theft but my cousin was hunting with permission on another guy's property. He was the only one with permission. One day his stand looked like it had been messed with. The next time he came back, He noticed a few other tree stands on the property. He asked the property owner who said that they weren't supposed to be there. So, he and the owner proceeded to take all the stands out of the woods and for his effort the owner gave my cousin one. That'll teach them! :D

feriil

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    West Lafayette, IN
    My Dad farms and owns several wooded plots for hunting. Last year he got 3 stands that were not his when he was walking the woods hunting himself, some worth quite a bit but that means there were at LEAST 3 people trespassing enough/hunting enough illegally on our property to leave stands and keep coming back.

We also had stands from 2 friends stolen on our property as well. There are a lot of people carrying guns out there who shouldn't be there at all.

After reading some more a lot of our land is near Jasper Pulaski as someone else noted also having problems there , seems there are a lot of people roaming out there.

Bucky623

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Three years ago I found a nice stand in a tree at the back of the place so I took it down and left it by the base of the tree. I hoped the trespasser would get the message and not come back. (not the first time I have done this) It was still there this past summer so I was going to sell it but when I went to pick it up it was gone. I'm sure it wasn’t taken by the original owner because the steps were still in the tree. I think they would have taken them too. At least I wasn’t out any money.

Bucky

Last edited:

wmitchell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2009
    Franklin, In
    Late this summer I put up a 20ft stick and a chain on behind a pond on my property. Went back 2wks ago to hunt it and it was gone. The commies left me one ratchet strap. The kicker is I'm pretty sure who took it but I have no way of proving it.

Top Bottom