• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    The commercials being run by Bloomberg's group can be very effective on people who generally support gun rights, but who are not deeply involved in the fight. My parents are pro-gun, but mentioned that the idea of "universal background checks" seem reasonable. However they, and most people, don't understand how far this can go.

Here are some examples I used to great effect in explaining why the current proposed legislation cannot go forward:

- It would be a felony for an uncle to give his niece of nephew his old .22 rifle, without having a background check run on them.

- It would be a felony to take my kids to a relative's property, and then hand them a gun to target shoot while I am standing there with them, without having a background check done on them.

- In fact, it would be a felony to go out to a friend's or relative's farm and hand anyone, friend, child, or spouse, a gun to shoot for even a few minutes, without having a background check run on them.

- It would be a felony to hand a gun to anyone on your own property unless you were actually in the house or the area immediately around the house, without having a background check run on them.

- It would be a felony to allow another experienced, competitive shooter to use your gun at a sanctioned shooting competition unless the competition was run by a non-profit.

I took my kids and brother-in-law shooting at their place in the country this weekend and under the proposed law, I would have committed several felonies by allowing my properly supervised kids and brother-in-law shoot my guns on their property with their permission. When I pointed that out, they understood.

- This proposed law is not at all reasonable.

BTW- this is based upon my personal reading of Senate Bill 374 (and I am a lawyer), not any organization's talking points.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I agree 100%. I am STRONGLY against UBC. People don't realize what consequences this will have. For some reason, they think this only applies to individuals selling guns to someone they don't know. They think it won't affect them giving a gun to a family member like the OP said. I contact my officials about UBC every time I think about it.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Guys, these are only a few scenarios. When you realize that the background check applies to ANY transfer of possession, even temporary and for the shortest amount of time, the common things it would make illegal are endless.

andrewhorning

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2008
    Freedom, IN
    OK, so...when are we going to do something about that illegal/illegitimate crime syndicate political scheme we call "government?"
    It's totally off the rails because we've let it become so.
    If hundreds and thousands can gather pro/con abortion, pro/con union issues...or if we can gather by the tens of thousands for our sports team, why can't we gather together for the constitutional rule of law that our politicians are trampling?
    Remember, you've got no 2nd Amendment without the contract it amends!...
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Freedom-Farm/400393880051576

dboz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Greenwood
    It is nice having lawyers on here to interperet proposed legislation and give examples that the simplest person can understand. Rep to you sir!

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    6 ‘‘(D) a temporary transfer of possession with
    out transfer of title made in connection with lawful
    hunting or sporting purposes if the transfer occurs—‘‘
    (i) at a shooting range located in or on premises owned or occupied by a duly incorporated organization organized for conservation purposes or to foster proficiency in firearms and the firearm is, at all times, kept within the premises of the shooting range;‘‘
    (ii) at a target firearm shooting competition under the auspices of or approved by a State agency or nonprofit organization and the
    firearm is, at all times, kept within the premises of the shooting competition;

Paragraph (i) sounds like you are fine at a Shooting club. (ii) says Non-profit or State approved.

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    The commercials being run by Bloomberg's group can be very effective on people who generally support gun rights, but who are not deeply involved in the fight. My parents are pro-gun, but mentioned that the idea of "universal background checks" seem reasonable. However they, and most people, don't understand how far this can go.

Here are some examples I used to great effect in explaining why the current proposed legislation cannot go forward:

- It would be a felony for an uncle to give his niece of nephew his old .22 rifle, without having a background check run on them.

- It would be a felony to take my kids to a relative's property, and then hand them a gun to target shoot while I am standing there with them, without having a background check done on them.

- In fact, it would be a felony to go out to a friend's or relative's farm and hand anyone, friend, child, or spouse, a gun to shoot for even a few minutes, without having a background check run on them.

- It would be a felony to hand a gun to anyone on your own property unless you were actually in the house or the area immediately around the house, without having a background check run on them.

- It would be a felony to allow another experienced, competitive shooter to use your gun at a sanctioned shooting competition unless the competition was run by a non-profit.

I took my kids and brother-in-law shooting at their place in the country this weekend and under the proposed law, I would have committed several felonies by allowing my properly supervised kids and brother-in-law shoot my guns on their property with their permission. When I pointed that out, they understood.

BTW- this is based upon my personal reading of Senate Bill 374 (and I am a lawyer), not any organization's talking points.

As a disclaimer, I am NOT a lawyer, so I defer to your interpretation of SB 374 as necessary. However, in a quick scan of the Bill, I read just the opposite:

‘(t)(1) Beginning on the date that is 180 days after the date of enactment of this subsection, it shall be unlawful for any person who is not licensed under this chapter to transfer a firearm to any other person who is not licensed under this chapter, unless a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer has first taken possession of the firearm for the purpose of complying with subsection (s). Upon taking possession of the firearm, the licensee shall comply with all requirements of this chapter as if the licensee were transferring the firearm from the licensee’s inventory to the unlicensed transferee.

‘(2) Paragraph (1) shall not apply to--
    • ‘(A) bona fide gifts between spouses, between parents and their children, between siblings, or between grandparents and their grandchildren;
      ‘(B) a transfer made from a decedent’s estate, pursuant to a legal will or the operation of law;

‘(C) a temporary transfer of possession that occurs between an unlicensed transferor and an unlicensed transferee, if --
      • ‘(i) the temporary transfer of possession occurs in the home or curtilage of the unlicensed transferor;
        ‘(ii) the firearm is not removed from that home or curtilage during the temporary transfer; and
        ‘(iii) the transfer has a duration of less than 7 days; and
      ‘(D) a temporary transfer of possession without transfer of title made in connection with lawful hunting or sporting purposes if the transfer occurs--
      • ‘(i) at a shooting range located in or on premises owned or occupied by a duly incorporated organization organized for conservation purposes or to foster proficiency in firearms and the firearm is, at all times, kept within the premises of the shooting range;
        ‘(ii) at a target firearm shooting competition under the auspices of or approved by a State agency or nonprofit organization and the firearm is, at all times, kept within the premises of the shooting competition;

To me, that reads that the very things you listed -- gifting of guns to children, spouses, siblings or grandchildren -- are specifically exempt from this bill, as highlighted in red above.

What am I missing?

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    As a disclaimer, I am NOT a lawyer, so I defer to your interpretation of SB 374 as necessary. However, in a quick scan of the Bill, I read just the opposite:

‘(t)(1) Beginning on the date that is 180 days after the date of enactment of this subsection, it shall be unlawful for any person who is not licensed under this chapter to transfer a firearm to any other person who is not licensed under this chapter, unless a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer has first taken possession of the firearm for the purpose of complying with subsection (s). Upon taking possession of the firearm, the licensee shall comply with all requirements of this chapter as if the licensee were transferring the firearm from the licensee’s inventory to the unlicensed transferee.

‘(2) Paragraph (1) shall not apply to--
    • ‘(A) bona fide gifts between spouses, between parents and their children, between siblings, or between grandparents and their grandchildren;
      ‘(B) a transfer made from a decedent’s estate, pursuant to a legal will or the operation of law;

‘(C) a temporary transfer of possession that occurs between an unlicensed transferor and an unlicensed transferee, if --
      • ‘(i) the temporary transfer of possession occurs in the home or curtilage of the unlicensed transferor;
        ‘(ii) the firearm is not removed from that home or curtilage during the temporary transfer; and
        (iii) the transfer has a duration of less than 7 days; and
      ‘(D) a temporary transfer of possession without transfer of title made in connection with lawful hunting or sporting purposes if the transfer occurs--
      • ‘(i) at a shooting range located in or on premises owned or occupied by a duly incorporated organization organized for conservation purposes or to foster proficiency in firearms and the firearm is, at all times, kept within the premises of the shooting range;
        ‘(ii) at a target firearm shooting competition under the auspices of or approved by a State agency or nonprofit organization and the firearm is, at all times, kept within the premises of the shooting competition;

(iii) the transfer has a duration of less than 7 days; and

Just how will they know if more that 7 days?
    Gun Registration?

HenryWallace

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Can we afford to give another inch on ANYTHING?
    The most obvious of laws (Constitution and Bill of Rights) are the backbone of our Liberties. Without them we have nothing.
    How can there even be a talk about it??
    Simple truth, like it was mentioned prior... We've already given them these inches, over and over.... Why should we be required to give more???

Anyone who wants to take your guns, is guilty of something for which they should be SHOT!

IndyZ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    South Indy

Excellent post.
    The name of every person that contributed so much as a punctuation mark to this bill or any other bill should be listed on the front page. I think some of us would be surprised when we learned who really wrote this garbage.

Top Bottom