Some ****** ****** just tried to steal my truck.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    So, I see we're closing spoof threads now... What is the criteria for determining which ones get closed and which ones get to stay?

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break-room/321426-i-almost-got-shot-last-night.html

EDIT: Dammit, I can't even keep track of them any more... This is the real thread right? I meant to post the question about closing spoof threads in this thread:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break-room/321425-grr-stupid-firewood.html

We should find the guy that started this craze and string him up.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I'm so ****ty right now, and he's lucky Indiana doesn't allow the killing of thieves.
    Huh? You might want to reread the very laws that you are suppose to be enforcing. You can use a firearm for defense of your property. Now would I shoot someone over my lawnmower....probably not.
    How do you know this wasnt some sort of retaliation? You coppers have a way with making people mad ya know. Putting all them bad guys in jail, testifying in court against them, and what not. ;)

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Huh? You might want to reread the very laws that you are suppose to be enforcing. You can use a firearm for defense of your property. Now would I shoot someone over my lawnmower....probably not.
    How do you know this wasnt some sort of retaliation? You coppers have a way with making people mad ya know. Putting all them bad guys in jail, testifying in court against them, and what not. ;)

Show me where it says I could have killed him for stealing my truck.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I believe you have to be inside the vehicle while the attempt to steal it is made. (carjacking)

Last edited:

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Uh where's my popcorn. I might not always see eye to eye with Frank on issues, but when he talks about what's legal and what's not, my ears are open and my mouth closed. Respectfully, I think your wrong sir.

frank, sorry to hear this happened to you and in our town! Hopefully this guy gets the silver bracelets soon!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Uh where's my popcorn. I might not always see eye to eye with Frank on issues, but when he talks about what's legal and what's not, my ears are open and my mouth closed. Respectfully, I think your wrong sir.

I'll second this. COULD he have done so on a legal formality? Maybe. Would he have been held to a higher standard as a well trained LEO? DEFINITELY. While you or I would be cut some slack as they all grumbled "yeah, the statute does say he can..." a well trained individual such as Frank would be dragged across the coals with intense scrutiny. In certain circumstances I could easily see him walk as far as the prosecutor is concerned, but then I would have grave concerns for his job security and career advancement opportunities.

Sometimes NOT taking full advantage of each and every last rule in the game of life is the prudent thing to do (like football teams sometimes decline the penalty after a flag) . However discretion is the better part of valor. Well played sir. You have more restraint than many of us here.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Show me where it says I could have killed him for stealing my truck.
    Damn glad you asked....
    IC 35-41-3-2
    Indiana Code 35-41-3

"(e) With respect to property other than a dwelling, curtilage, or an occupied motor vehicle, a person is justified in using reasonable force against any other person if the person reasonably believes that the force is necessary to immediately prevent or terminate the other person's trespass on or criminal interference with property lawfully"

With that being said, its reasonable force to shoot a person stealing your truck (your property) that is on YOUR PROPERTY. The truck is "property". I doubt I would admit to law enforcement as to intentionally killing an idiot over a vehicle but some peoples' mileage may vary. Now if they died from their wounds...well....such is life...or lack thereof.

Now I am no way shape or form condoning killing someone over a lawnmower, truck, garden hose or a plate of bacon....and I also not speaking out against it either. Honestly I think I would have to wait until I am put in that position to be able to advertise "what I would do".

Hopefully it was a Dodge or Ford, take the insurance check and get yourself a Chevrolet/GMC ! :p

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Damn glad you asked....
    IC 35-41-3-2
    Indiana Code 35-41-3

"(e) With respect to property other than a dwelling, curtilage, or an occupied motor vehicle, a person is justified in using reasonable force against any other person if the person reasonably believes that the force is necessary to immediately prevent or terminate the other person's trespass on or criminal interference with property lawfully"

With that being said, its reasonable force to shoot a person stealing your truck (your property) that is on YOUR PROPERTY. The truck is "property". I doubt I would admit to law enforcement as to intentionally killing an idiot over a vehicle but some peoples' mileage may vary. Now if they died from their wounds...well....such is life...or lack thereof.

Now I am no way shape or form condoning killing someone over a lawnmower, truck, garden hose or a plate of bacon....and I also not speaking out against it either. Honestly I think I would have to wait until I am put in that position to be able to advertise "what I would do".

Hopefully it was a Dodge or Ford, take the insurance check and get yourself a Chevrolet/GMC ! :p

You sir have crossed the line and are unworthy of membership here. I shall be petitioning for your removal post-haste! Stealing another man's bacon is grounds for drawing and quartering. Outright torture is justified if its family farm butchered thick cut peppered bacon. :p

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Damn glad you asked....
    IC 35-41-3-2
    Indiana Code 35-41-3

If you are ever in the same situation, let me know how shooting someone attempting to steal an unoccupied truck works out for you.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    If you are ever in the same situation, let me know how shooting someone attempting to steal an unoccupied truck works out for you.
    I would be smart enough to put my pants on first! :laugh: I dont want no car thief laughing at me while watching me trip over my swinging 3rd leg! :lmfao:

You coppers are obviously allowed your "own interpretation" when it comes time for questioning....but also remember I am also allowed mine when it comes time with my lawyer and a judge in the same room. Did anyone else other than me see that car thief jump out of my truck and lunge at me with a knife? ;)

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Damn glad you asked....
    IC 35-41-3-2
    Indiana Code 35-41-3

I'll add that if you keep a gun in your vehicle then it could be argued that shooting him would be self defense to protect you and your family. He's a bad guy that already knows where you live.

Even without a gun in the mix, if you had any papers in the truck like an address book - well, the people in it need to be protected as well.
    You should have just nipped it in the butt while you had the chance.

Next time keep your slippers by the bedroom door.

You might have caught him - Bunnies are fast.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

ESPECIALLY if you are not between the perp and the exit where you might have reason to believe you could be in danger of being run down by said vehicle. Kinda like "shooting a non violent perp in the back as he runs away". Not cool.

This armchair QB says "that was a good 'punt', Frank. Good job. You probably have more restraint than many here." (please note the complete lack of purple)

Top Bottom