• ...and so much more!
  • dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    You guys are so harsh. The questions we should be asking ourselves are:

1. What have we done to make these pirates hate us so much?
    2. Has our foreign policy turned these pirates against us?
    3. Has our economic policy made them poor, and therefore need to resort to piracy?
    4. Have we tried hard enough to understand them?
    5. Have we explained clearly enough how we've made many mistakes in our past, and we're no better than they?
    6. Is piracy any worse than what we've done in the world?
    7 Why does everyone hate us?

I think if we look hard at ourselves and stop criticizing others just because their culture views piracy as just another kind of business. There are probably lots of things in our culture they don't like - like freedom, and women looking us in the eye, and things like that.

Just because hunting them down like f***ing mad dogs and putting a f***ing bullet through their heads SEEMS like a good solution to you bitter clingers, I think you'd be better served by putting your faith in our annointed leader.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Two very different approaches to dealing with pirates. The Russians/Israelis use one - the other flagged vessels run by multinationals take the kinder/gentler approach.

I lean toward a firm (FIRM) hand taken to avoid repeat occurances.

Dangerous Waters: Modern Piracy and Terror on the High Seas by John Burnett. I read it a couple of months ago and the Marion CO Library has a copy. A 2002 work written after he had an experience with piracy while bluewater sailing near Singapore. The rest of the book spends time with him aboard some commercial ships.

Did you know that in "pirate areas," typically narrow straits where the large vessels are slowed to a crawl, that commercial ships employ "pirate prevention measures?" All deck lights come on and are lit over the side. Water cannons are left on, blowing behind the ship. Dummies are tied to the rails to simulate an alert crew.

Apparently, the ship SOP is to do everything possible to deter initial access to the ship's deck then, once pirates are aboard, to comply with all demands. During the read I was conflicted about what I thought the best approach would be. It can't be argued that Russian and Israeli flagged ships are rarely touched now due to having a reputation among maritime pirates.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/carry_issues_and_self_defense/9183-carry_on_the_high_seas.html

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Just because hunting them down like f***ing mad dogs and putting a f***ing bullet through their heads SEEMS like a good solution to you bitter clingers, I think you'd be better served by putting your faith in our annointed leader.

Nah not hunting them down like mad dogs. More like ducks. Set up a few container ships as decoys. With a full compliment of navy seals on board. When the "ducks" show up, time to go a hunting. Not sure if they should have a daily bag limit though. While the sportsman in me thinks it would be nice to leave some for the other fellas, I think the current population is healthy enough not to have to worry about it for now.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Nah not hunting them down like mad dogs. More like ducks. Set up a few container ships as decoys. With a full compliment of navy seals on board. When the "ducks" show up, time to go a hunting. Not sure if they should have a daily bag limit though. While the sportsman in me thinks it would be nice to leave some for the other fellas, I think the current population is healthy enough not to have to worry about it for now.

Next you're going to suggest that instead of shooting skeet off those cruise ships they ought to pass out sniper rifles and have a pirate shoot.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Next you're going to suggest that instead of shooting skeet off those cruise ships they ought to pass out sniper rifles and have a pirate shoot.

Great Idea :rockwoot: Lets keep up the brainstorming people. We can solve this problem all by ourselves.:D

How would you work out the scoring system? Interesting thought...LOL

Standard tactical target scoring?

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    The crew has recaptured the vessel. Early reports said that there was one prisoner and that the status of the others was unknown but they were believed to be in the water.

Unfortunately, from the latest update (same link as previous report about recapture) the pirates had apparently still had the captain hostage and the crew apparently negotiated a swap--the prisoner they held for the captain. The crew kept their part. The pirates didn't.

The account in the article is actually kind of disjointed and it's a bit hard to follow what actually is happened. How much of that is "fog of war" and how much of that is MSNBC trying to twist things (for example, early in the article it says that the crew "negotiated their own release" but later it says that the remaining pirates fled after the crew grabbed one of their number then after negotiations the crew released the pirate they held apparently in expectation that they'd get their captain back), I don't know.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    Unfortunately, from the latest update (same link as previous report about recapture) the pirates had apparently still had the captain hostage and the crew apparently negotiated a swap--the prisoner they held for the captain. The crew kept their part. The pirates didn't.

Great phrasing as this is the problem with negotiating with thugs. The good guys keep their word and the bad guys don't But that is the basis of foreign policy for BHO and our European brothers. Could they be making a mistake? Might they take this as a lesson and learn from it? HMMMM?

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    lets just have obama call his family over there...and see if theyll release the captain. hahaha..
    But seriously why arnt ships armed? are they then considered combatants or something?

CulpeperMM

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    commercial ships should be armed with 20mm (M197) for dealing with such threats on open (or pirate) waters. When it starts to burp, the pirates will barf. Put a turret on each: the bow, port, starboard, and one at the stern. When the rubber boats come running up on you... burrrrrp... skinny stew.
    :twocents:

i do not understand this business of cruising through there just hoping they don't attack. especially when 5 ships have been attacked in the last few weeks. These pirates are thugs, not part of anything larger. They are just going after easy targets.

CTC states: "Conventional thinking suggests that Somalia, a failed state, would be an ideal safe haven for al-Qa'ida. Our analysis, however, indicates that weakly governed regions such as coastal Kenya, not failed states like Somalia, provide an environment more conducive to al-Qa'ida's activities. In Somalia, al-Qa'ida's members fell victim to many of the same challenges that plague Western interventions in the Horn. They were prone to extortion and betrayal, found themselves trapped in the middle of incomprehensible (to them) clan conflicts, faced suspicion from the indigenous population, had to overcome significant logistical constraints and were subject to a constant risk of Western military interdiction."
    Combating Terrorism Center (USMA, West Point)

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Think of the great job for some ex marines, paratroopers, or special forces guys. Ride a cruise ship around, sit by the pool, poach the pretty vacationers, and just wait for the alert to sound that pirates are in the area.

How many of our troops would volunteer for a mission like that right after discharge? I know I would have. Fun, sun, pretty girls and the chance to kills some bad guys. Makes me wish I was twenty years younger. Hell, ten years younger. Screw it, I'll do it now. If the wife says I can, I mean.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Where is "Our" Commander in Chief. He appears to be AWOL on this issue and why has he not called upon his Muslim brothers to release the ships Captain. After all, isn't Islam the religion of Peace :rolleyes:

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    commercial ships should be armed with 20mm (M197) for dealing with such threats on open (or pirate) waters. When it starts to burp, the pirates will barf. Put a turret on each: the bow, port, starboard, and one at the stern. When the rubber boats come running up on you... burrrrrp... skinny stew.
    :twocents:

i do not understand this business of cruising through there just hoping they don't attack. especially when 5 ships have been attacked in the last few weeks. These pirates are thugs, not part of anything larger. They are just going after easy targets.

CTC states: "Conventional thinking suggests that Somalia, a failed state, would be an ideal safe haven for al-Qa'ida. Our analysis, however, indicates that weakly governed regions such as coastal Kenya, not failed states like Somalia, provide an environment more conducive to al-Qa'ida's activities. In Somalia, al-Qa'ida's members fell victim to many of the same challenges that plague Western interventions in the Horn. They were prone to extortion and betrayal, found themselves trapped in the middle of incomprehensible (to them) clan conflicts, faced suspicion from the indigenous population, had to overcome significant logistical constraints and were subject to a constant risk of Western military interdiction."
    Combating Terrorism Center (USMA, West Point)

:yesway::+1:

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Top Bottom