• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Take an old direct tv dish.1 spray glue aluminum foil to it 2 take of the plastic "collector" and replace with wire grill(or anything that will hold your "pan". Place a dark pan on your wire grill(cast Iron works very well). Aim at the sun.
    I will post pics soon lol.OK I just made one(second time so it was easy).Here are the pics took about 20 min.
    339pzdy.jpg

24yofaq.jpg

2eda68m.jpg

s2ur8m.jpg

That is an old ac pad for the base. Total cost 3-5 dollars with use of some old scrap stuff(I already had glue,foil,the old dish,and an old ac pad...so mine cost was next to nothing :)
    If I had an old full size disk I would work on a solar generator of some type.I would use thin stainless steel though not aluminum foil.

Last edited:

United

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    Take an old direct tv dish.1 spray glue aluminum foil to it 2 take of the plastic "collector" and replace with wire grill(or anything that will hold your "pan". Place a dark pan on your wire grill(cast Iron works very well). Aim at the sun.
    I will post pics soon lol.

great idea!

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Magnifying Glass, bottle of chocolate, sealable cup, find an ant hill.

Collect ants in the cup, use sun and magnifying glass to cook ants, pour in chocolate, enjoy! Works with other critters aswell. :thumbsup:

That is a good idea smokingman. I just use a grill wire above a couple logs over a fire. I'm good, with not need to rely on the sun. Fire can be made by friction and lots of hard work. :D

I'd be very interested in how long it takes to boil water with that solar cooker. If it works I might build one!

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    SE I know in Iraq in the summer time you can boil water in the bottle in about 10 minutes for Ramen...

I think this is a great idea. Sometimes smoke from a fire can be a very bad thing...

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    SE I know in Iraq in the summer time you can boil water in the bottle in about 10 minutes for Ramen...

I think this is a great idea. Sometimes smoke from a fire can be a very bad thing...

Good point. I hadn't considered that smoke might be a problem. But if it becomes a problem and you're on the move, you won't be lugging around an old sat dish, etc. Besides, if smoke is a problem, what about the smell of cooking food? Just some thoughts is all. Would be good for home use or if you are camping. :yesway:

Justus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    not in Indy
    I'm interested in the results too.

I've seen the larger sat. dishes lined with pieces of mirror
    but the smaller sized dish would be nice.

I've tried a few types of solar box ovens with varied results.
    Clouds and breezes take their toll.

United

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    ok, got my first solar oven done today finally.

It's off of this basic plan
    http://solarcooking.wikia.com/wiki/M...lar_Box_Cooker

but i added more reflector panels all around it to hopefully get it hotter inside

so far, so good. After 45 minutes outside it was almost 200 degrees in there (i have a cooking thermometer in there) It was roughly 70 degrees out and partly sunny...then the clouds rolled in even more. Not the ideal day to solar cook due to the clouds we had, but hey 200 in these conditions isn't too awfully bad i don't think. Will keep ya posted after we get a good sunny day!

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Collect ants in the cup, use sun and magnifying glass to cook ants, pour in chocolate, enjoy!

Don't eat ants, they contain formic acid, have indigestible exoskeletons and their legs can embed in the bowels and cause obstructions. A waste of good chocolate.

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    My question is...
    I heard someone say smoke might be a problem, and fire might be a problem, but isn't a big super shiney box a problem as well? Isn't the noticable from far away? Just curious! It's a cool idea though, and I will try it soon!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom