• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    Hum, I'm from Tornado alley (the real one in Oklahoma, where homes get plowed under and the sod ripped up ~ not to make light the Henryville disaster) so most of my family considers it completely normal to be prepared with a disaster plan of action and a few weeks worth of food and "self protection" items.

Found a gal at work who's a prepper too, quite by accident. We were chatting about our gardens and each of us gave up a little more info as the conversation went on till she leaned in and quietly whispered "are you a prepper too?!?!"...

Mostly we keep it to ourselves to avoid being a target for people who haven't prepared themselves or their families.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Hum, I'm from Tornado alley (the real one in Oklahoma, where homes get plowed under and the sod ripped up ~ not to make light the Henryville disaster) so most of my family considers it completely normal to be prepared with a disaster plan of action and a few weeks worth of food and "self protection" items.

Found a gal at work who's a prepper too, quite by accident. We were chatting about our gardens and each of us gave up a little more info as the conversation went on till she leaned in and quietly whispered "are you a prepper too?!?!"...

Mostly we keep it to ourselves to avoid being a target for people who haven't prepared themselves or their families.

I can usually spot a preppy from just a brief conversation but not always. There are more of us than folks realize.
    1 guy I work with is aware we prep as he is military retired and is a prep. as well. 2 others are gun guys but do not involve with prepping far as I can tell.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    My family is mixed on the issue, 1 brother wants nothing to do with it, 1 wants to do more, mom wants to do more, dad does some stuff in his own ways. Money is tight therefore preps seem to move towards the bottom of the list of priorities; bills have to be paid. My wife thinks I'm whacked or something, but I think that she may be coming around, slowly.

Extended family has no clue, which is fine by me. Those who are in the know, and help, I will help. Others, can just keep walking down the road. I believe that keeping a low profile is the best and safest way to keep preps.

Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    SWI
    The term self reliant fits my mom, stepdad and his parents. I have opened my brothers eyes some. My dad agrees with me but his wife would prefer a 100 bra than to have a weeks extra worth of food. The wife thought I was crazy (probably still does) but is on board now. Her friends joke about I'm crazy. Funny thing is one of them asked me later one day if I would store water and items for her and her child. Coworkers don't say much, have made a few like minded friends though.

I don't think mainstream media has helped with the image of a prepper at all especially "doomsday preppers". Even though I watched the show.

I know Mormons get a bad rap for those extremists, but they have been prepping for years.

Hk91_son

Plinker
    Rating - 97.9%
    46   1   0
    Oct 26, 2011
    Richmond
    I feel like Noah building the ark. I have stopped talking about it. One because I'm tired of people saying that I think the end of the world is coming. Two I decided it is safer not to tell a bunch of people. I have so many people saying they want to come here if SHTF happens. Not one of the wants to help prepare. Most of them think I am a conspiracy theory nut job, but want to come here if it does happen. I really don't care anymore what they think, power outages that last a week should inspire people to prepare just a little bit. The wife

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Non-Preppers don't view me any different. Because if they find out that I'm a prepper, I'm doing something wrong.

The only people are I talk about prepping with are those individual who think the same way and are doing the same thing.

Prepping saves money. We buy items in 50 pound increments, not 2 pound bags. It is nice not to have to run to the store, because we are out of X. You go shopping in the basement.

backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    I thought about making this a poll, but I think I'd rather hear directly from you on this one. Sometimes the Media makes those of us who prepare to be some kind of a nut. So how do your family friends, and Co-workers view your actions?

BTW please let me know if I can quote you directly in my paper, I will only use your screen name if I do.
    Don't care how other's view me as someone who plans for the worst and hopes for the best..... Chance favors the prepared individual.

Archer46176

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 21, 2012
    South East of Indy
    My extended family has started to see what I have been working for since Y2K. They all thought I was a little off my rocker when I was little because I always wanted to learn how to do things the old way from my grandpa, then when the Y2K thing came around they thought I was onto something. When it passed with no avail I went back to being the family nut...LOL... Now I am asked several questions a day by family and friends on different prepping things. Sometimes it is gardening sometimes it is solar or wind power alternatives, water gathering, filtration ect...

Top Bottom