• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Should Sobriety Checkpoints be commonplace?

• Total voters

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Not in my opinion sir. I have lost a family member to a drunk driver so my opinion is also biased. Checkpoints are random and only effect the drunk drivers. Driving is also a privilege not a right.
    And that sir is your opinion. And the checkpoints effect everyone else that has to waste their time driving thru them.

Sorry about your loss sir, I truly am and thanks for being honest enough to say you are biased

semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    :coffee:

Checkpoint nets arrests, but not for drinking and driving | WLFI - Lafayette, Indiana

checkpoint_20130308230243_640_480.JPG
    They call it the "drive sober or get pulled over". But they are pulling everyone over. I guess you are guilty untill proven innocent.

mydoghasfleas

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Undisclosed
    Most fatal accidents are not caused by drunk drivers.

In 2011,

10,228 people were killed in drunk driving accidents. (this includes the drunk)
    CDC - Impaired Driving Facts - Motor Vehicle Safety - Injury Center

Over 5,400 people were killed by "distracted driving"
    CDC - Distracted Driving - Motor Vehicle Safety - Injury Center

Total driving deaths were 32,367
    List of motor vehicle deaths in U.S. by year - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From 1994 to 2002 2,654 people were killed in police chases, over 1,000 of them were not involed in the chase at all.
    Police Pursuits and the Risks - Police Pursuits

Distracted driving kills too.
    Why not treat women putting on makeup, or someone eating, smoking, listening to rush limbaugh, having kids in the car with them (they are often distracting too) or using their police issued laptops while driving be treated the same way?

If the goal is safety, then no one should have a problem with it. Its just easy to demonize a drinker and not a soccer mom.

Driving is dangerous. It always will be. The .gov cant make it safe, but they can make it draconian.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I work checkpoints every now and then and yes, they are only after DUI's. Could care less about any other infractions at all. In fact, we are told to let everything else go. In my town anyway, maybe yours is different. I know the stats because I work them. There must be a bunch of sovereign citizen nutjobs in here. If it's illegal then why are they still going on and holding up in court?

I don't know.
    Why not set the checkpoint up so that some judges get stopped over and over. I bet it would change then.
    People seem willing to give up on rights, as long as it doesn't affect them.
    Another reason could be, why would big government rule against big government.

Sovereign citizen nutjobs.
    Opinion.

Also could be considered name calling, at least the nutjob part of it.
    And why would we be "sovereign citizen nutjobs" because we want them to follow the rules. You know, those rules that give the government the authority in the first place.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Could care less about any other infractions at all. In fact, we are told to let everything else go.

Incorrect, are you not reading the other posts, sheep?

The roadblock in my backyard here in Lafayette netted not a single drunk driver but OWS, OWNRL and a stack of equipment infractions.

If it's illegal then why are they still going on and holding up in court?

Roadblocks are illegal for drugs and for general crime but the United States Supreme Court and the Indiana Supreme Court have held that they are legal under certain conditions. I have a way for them to reconsider such a ruling.

If we want to make them unconstitutional as other types of roadblocks, then I propose that the General Assembly mandate permanent roadblocks in the neighborhoods of the justices of the Indiana Supreme Court. Gerschoff will be overturned overnight.

Sheepdog2305

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    I also said "maybe your town, but not in mine". When my dept. works a checkpoint, they are only interested in DUI's. I don't know what Lafayette does. I know they are only legal for sobriety.
    Good talk gents, stay safe.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I also said "maybe your town, but not in mine". When my dept. works a checkpoint, they are only interested in DUI's. I don't know what Lafayette does. I know they are only legal for sobriety.
    Good talk gents, stay safe.

So, you are saying that IMPD does not enforce any other offense other than OWI at roadblocks?

I did an HTV in Marion County at a roadblock a few years ago. Is this a new policy?:dunno:

TIA.:)

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    It is un-fortunate that the Moron factor is across the board and relates to any and all idiocy. No law or punishment will stop those with no sense.

I do understand how you feel sir. I really do.
    Unfortunately, as stated elsewhere in this thread, the moron that did this will never, ever be effected by any law or threat of punishment by said law. I have lived a long time and seen how folks care only for themselves and are sorry only when they are held before the man. If they skate then any repentant feelings are soon forgotten and it is party on Garth. Not all folks but enough that we all suffer the consequences of their stupidity. How could a law have stopped this. It is base human selflessness. You can not fix or change that.
    Again, I am sorry for your pain.
    -CM-

^^^^^THIS^^^^

I was standing still on my motorcycle waiting to make a left turn, when I was hit by a drunk driver going 55 mph, at 4:00 p.m. on a sunny Saturday afternoon. She was 17, had alcohol, cocaine, marijuana, and barbiturates in her system. And this was her 3 offense.

I can't add anymore to what Churchmouse has so eloquently stated. :(

Shadow8088

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    I have not hit a DUI checkpoint since I moved to Indiana 5 years ago... Where I'm from in Pennsylvania, they were a regular occurrence. They generally went like this. State Trooper - "Good evening sir, have you had anything to drink tonight?" Me - "No sir." State Trooper - "Thank you sir, have a nice night." that's it... and on top of that, the cars they chose were at random. Sometimes you were just waved through. If you haven't been drinking, why does it matter? Its a minute or two out of your evening. If you've been drinking, you deserve every ounce of what you get and then some. Someone mentioned it upthread... Driving is a privilege.. not a right.

MTubbs1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    I have not hit a DUI checkpoint since I moved to Indiana 5 years ago... Where I'm from in Pennsylvania, they were a regular occurrence. They generally went like this. State Trooper - "Good evening sir, have you had anything to drink tonight?" Me - "No sir." State Trooper - "Thank you sir, have a nice night." that's it... and on top of that, the cars they chose were at random. Sometimes you were just waved through. If you haven't been drinking, why does it matter? Its a minute or two out of your evening. If you've been drinking, you deserve every ounce of what you get and then some. Someone mentioned it upthread... Driving is a privilege.. not a right.

:rolleyes:

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I have seen a check points for illegals in CA, I have seen check points for illegal fruits before going into CA. I have seen check points for a missing child coming out of a small town, I have seen check points for law enforcement look for a certain make an model of a car that was seen in a crime.
    See? Once the government gets you accustomed to having no rights, they can get you to go around advocating for police state tactics.

Fruit checkpoints, my goodness this country is ****ed.

If it's illegal then why are they still going on and holding up in court?
    Maybe you haven't noticed, but our constitution has been almost completely ignored for the last 100 years. Our rights are being routinely violated as a matter of policy.

I If you haven't been drinking, why does it matter? Its a minute or two out of your evening.
    If I haven't been drinking, why do I have to be harassed with questions and flashlights in my face?

There must be a bunch of sovereign citizen nutjobs in here.
    Bonjour. :laugh:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011

I agree. Likewise, I think we should have a daily random police visit to a house in every neighborhood (with a SWAT car as backup in case some nutjob starts banging on about "his rights to privacy") to ensure that you have no stolen property including stolen music, movies etc or illegal substances.

It's just 5 minutes out of your day, and if you have nothing to hide why care?

:rolleyes:

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog

Carrying a gun is a privilege, do you want anyone coming to your house just to check on your guns and whether you have an LTCH?

Shadow8088

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Carrying a gun is a privilege, do you want anyone coming to your house just to check on your guns and whether you have an LTCH?

How many MWAG posts have there been on this forum, and you ask me that? Your car is not your house.. You're driving on State or Locally owned/maintained roads. They're not sitting in your driveway performing stops... But hey, lets make sure we jump to the extreme to make our point right?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    To all the people saying "driving is a privilage, not a right".

Wrong.

Just because it is not listed in the bill of rights does not mean it is not a right.
    Some of the founding fathers were worried that would happen if they made a "bill of rights". That people would assume that stuff not listed were not rights.

Do you have a right to procreate?
    What if the govt decided to put something in the food making everyone sterile. And you had to get permission, a license, take a class, pay a fee.... to have your kid.

Spend your money on what YOU want. Don't you have a right to buy stuff, without having to demonstrate that you NEED it.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    How many MWAG posts have there been on this forum, and you ask me that? Your car is not your house.. You're driving on State or Locally owned/maintained roads. They're not sitting in your driveway performing stops... But hey, lets make sure we jump to the extreme to make our point right?

Your car is not your house. Yet it has the same rules applied to it about the 4th amendment.

junior438

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    redkey
    what i want to know is if the are "trying" to catch drunks, why tell them when there doing it? dont that defeat the whole porpuse?

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Those would be publicly owned roads that we all have every right to be on. Just because you don't like my example does not make it extreme. Just trying to figure out how many rights some are willing to give up.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom