• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Should Sobriety Checkpoints be commonplace?

• Total voters

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I have been through checkpoints where no turn-off was lawful. In addition, I have seen youtube videos of people pulling u-turns to avoid checkpoints and getting chased down for probable cause.

I found it interesting that the sobriety checkpoint must be timed to achieve maximum likelihood of non-compliance. In other words, sobriety checkpoints at 10 am on a Tuesday probably wouldn't fly.

I suspect you can get around this by setting up a seat belt checkpoint, though.

In Indiana?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Originally Posted by griffin
    I have been through checkpoints where no turn-off was lawful. In addition, I have seen youtube videos of people pulling u-turns to avoid checkpoints and getting chased down for probable cause.

I found it interesting that the sobriety checkpoint must be timed to achieve maximum likelihood of non-compliance. In other words, sobriety checkpoints at 10 am on a Tuesday probably wouldn't fly.

I suspect you can get around this by setting up a seat belt checkpoint, though.

In Indiana?

Yeah, is this Kirk's First Law?:dunno:

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Never been thru a sobriety check point but did pass thru a weapons checkpoint in Evansville a few years back. They were randomly directing vehicles into the Ameriqual parking lot off of HWY 41. No way to turn around if you wanted too.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Weapons checkpoint? So this was before City of Indianapolis in 2000?

Tell me what happened, I am very interested.
    Not sure if it was before or after 2000, could have been 2000. I was riding with a friend south on HWY 41 and we saw signs saying weapons, maybe drugs too, checkpoint. Looked like they were waving about every 10th car into the parking lot at Ameriqual, they didn't stop us so I cannot give you any further details.

Longhair

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    PAPERS PLEASE!

I'd quote the rest of your ridiculous 'justifications' for destroying peoples Rights, but it would exceed the maximum post length on INGO.

It's fine if you don't believe people have Rights. It's fine if you think the Constitution doesn't say what it says.

Just don't try to say you believe in Rights or the Constitution when attempt to justify trampling them. You look like a fool when you do.

aa-police-state-your-papers-please-excellent-one_zps9e484981.jpg

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    You would interfere with the Productive Class.

I see this all the time with radar speed checks. The local PD ignores the (largely blue collar) workforce that travels 15 MPH - 30 MPH above speed limit on a local interstate, from roughly 5:30 AM until after 8:00 AM, but then clamps down beginning 8:30 AM.

This was total
    bs.gif
    . Finally the state changed the speed limit because apparently there is some directive that the speed limit must be something that 85% of the people or whatever are willing to live with. So one day without fanfair they raised the speed limit by 15 MPH.

So on Monday it's unsafe to drive at X + 1 MPH, then on Tuesday it's perfectly safe to drive at X + 15 MPH.

The local papers, of course, made a big deal about it. The local drivers never noticed. The ones who drove 15 or 30 over still drive the same speed. Including me.

JB357Mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Yea!
    I have owed my own business for 35 years, we have an alarm system and video surveillance but still have been broken into 21 times out of those 21 bugleries the sherriff has never even tried to catch the thieves once ,but have written me tickets 3 times for false alarms.....almost all the breakins have happened on a holiday or fri or sat night while law enforcement are to busy trying to catch drunk drivers...now I am all for keeping drunk drivers off the road but the bottom line is that it is about the money...a criminal cost the county money a drunk driver pays big.....

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And

Cash is King!

Jimmy

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    A drunk driving bust is a minimum $10,000 journey through the system. Revenue rules.
    I have zero tolerance for drug or alcohol related stupidity but the check points seem to be in place as revenue generators. If I am wrong, well, not the first or last time.

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    Yeah, why Not wait until ...

.... a larger Constitutional right is violated, and ONLY RESPOND THEN !? Yeah, just wait until there is a REAL reason to revolt? <=== purple. Is here any I.C. on this, or just a court order? ALL counties? Federal funds employed??
    I don't mind being inconvenienced once in a while to maybe save a live...I have been driving for 40 years and have only went through 1 sobriety check point. Why should they wait until someone is killed.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    A drunk driving bust is a minimum $10,000 journey through the system. Revenue rules.
    I have zero tolerance for drug or alcohol related stupidity but the check points seem to be in place as revenue generators. If I am wrong, well, not the first or last time.

The only $10,000 revenue made from a DUI arrest is by a private defense attorney.

Mos Eisley

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    The only $10,000 revenue made from a DUI arrest is by a private defense attorney.

That's what I was thinking. I don't think governments gain much revenue from DUI arrests. It probably costs more to prosecute them than whatever small fines they take in. Certainly not $10,000.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Exactly...classes, PO fees, lawyers, court costs, community service etc and so on. It is all revenue no matter who gets it. I did not mean it was all to the state but cronies and so on. I have not taken this Journey personally but 2 of my smarter than I am sons have and many friends. There has to be a punishment for putting so many at risk just to get home from a party or the pub. Far more dangerous than mis-handling a fire arm but so many do not learn from the first journey and go for a 2nd or 3rd.
    Another example of how a law or its punishment will not change how people act.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Unconstitutional response to an inadequate justice system that lets drunk drivers kill people with little consequence.

Agree with the "unconstitutional" part, but not sure I understand or agree with the portions of the comment that I bolded. I personally know two people who have been charged with DUI. In both situations, the driver was slightly over the limit, and there was no accident or injury. The justice system was hardly inadequate, and one could hardly describe the consequences (expense, license restrictions) as "little".

After seeing what they went through, I take even more care to avoid getting into that situation. After seeing the attention given to DUI and the steep consequences, anyone who would put themselves into position to get a second DUI is a complete moron. Sadly, there are obviously a lot of complete morons out there, but I'm not sure how the system could be more strict.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Agree with the "unconstitutional" part, but not sure I understand or agree with the portions of the comment that I bolded. I personally know two people who have been charged with DUI. In both situations, the driver was slightly over the limit, and there was no accident or injury. The justice system was hardly inadequate, and one could hardly describe the consequences (expense, license restrictions) as "little".

After seeing what they went through, I take even more care to avoid getting into that situation. After seeing the attention given to DUI and the steep consequences, anyone who would put themselves into position to get a second DUI is a complete moron. Sadly, there are obviously a lot of complete morons out there, but I'm not sure how the system could be more strict.

It is un-fortunate that the Moron factor is across the board and relates to any and all idiocy. No law or punishment will stop those with no sense.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    My daughter was hit by a drunk driver in South Bend. The guy was at the bar drinking all day before he got in his car. He was so drunk that he thought the gas pedal was the brake pedal. He slammed into her leaving her with possible permanent injuries. Im for what ever it take to get them off the road

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    My daughter was hit by a drunk driver in South Bend. The guy was at the bar drinking all day before he got in his car. He was so drunk that he thought the gas pedal was the brake pedal. He slammed into her leaving her with possible permanent injuries. Im for what ever it take to get them off the road

I wish people like you were of stronger character.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

If you're for "anything", how about random searches of your house?
    How about someone like Bloomberg making the decision of what's dangerous?
    Are you only willing to give up Other People's Rights?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom