• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Should Sobriety Checkpoints be commonplace?

• Total voters

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    This is a more recent appellate ruling that explains the legality of DUI checkpoints from the Gerschoffer ruling. We call it the Gerschoffer test.

http://www.in.gov/judiciary/opinions/pdf/07251201ewn.pdf

So, if the State determined that illegal drug activity is a threat to public safety, based upon what I am reading, what would stop them from putting all of the addresses in a random area in a hat, draw a few out and conduct searches of those houses? Or selecting a neighborhood from a hat and searching every house in the neighborhood? The courts are no longer the defenders of the Contitiution and the people's rights that they are supposed to be. They seem more interested in determining ways to enable the government by rationalizing the violations of rights.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    So, if the State determined that illegal drug activity is a threat to public safety, based upon what I am reading, what would stop them from putting all of the addresses in a random area in a hat, draw a few out and conduct searches of those houses? Or selecting a neighborhood from a hat and searching every house in the neighborhood? The courts are no longer the defenders of the Contitiution and the people's rights that they are supposed to be. They seem more interested in determining ways to enable the government by rationalizing the violations of rights.

That's how it goes when there's a bad guy in your zip code. House to house SWAT searches.

[video=youtube;2LrbsUVSVl8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LrbsUVSVl8[/video]

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    In today's world of cell phones, the ability to report intoxicated drivers is (should be) at everyone's fingertips, and should eliminate any perceived need for checkpoints. I say "should be" because the use of cell phones while driving is not allowed in many places. This is a prime example of over legislation creating real problems. Checkpoints may have their place in a war zone, but not here.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    That's how it goes when there's a bad guy in your zip code. House to house SWAT searches.

No. There is no case for this statement.

So, if the State determined that illegal drug activity is a threat to public safety, based upon what I am reading, what would stop them from putting all of the addresses in a random area in a hat, draw a few out and conduct searches of those houses?

No. See City of Indianapolis v. Edmond.

City of Indianapolis v. Edmond - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    I've contacted a few people about this, and asked a few LEO that I know.

From my understanding is. They can LEGALLY do DUI checkpoints, if the proper procedures are followed.

They CANNOT ask for identification, or any other form of documentation unless they have reasonable suspicion that you commited a crime, are about to commit a crime, or are in progress of commiting a crime.

In a nutshell, they can pull you off to the side, ask some questions, and if they smell alcohol, then ask for identification and cite/arrest you.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Seems very arbitrary if the one is allowed and the other is not.

Exactly right!

hammer.jpg

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I've contacted a few people about this, and asked a few LEO that I know.

From my understanding is. They can LEGALLY do DUI checkpoints, if the proper procedures are followed.

They CANNOT ask for identification, or any other form of documentation unless they have reasonable suspicion that you commited a crime, are about to commit a crime, or are in progress of commiting a crime.

In a nutshell, they can pull you off to the side, ask some questions, and if they smell alcohol, then ask for identification and cite/arrest you.

A DUI isn't an infraction or ordinance violation, so how could they ask for identification if they suspect you're drunk. I don't think you're right, but let us know how it goes...

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Hey gang,
    They're setting up a checkpoint right now in Kokomo at Washington and Boulevard. City, County, and State. Just your Friday FYI from printcraft. ;)

swany11

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    If they really wanted to make a point, they would have these checkpoints right outside downtown after Colts' games.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    A DUI isn't an infraction or ordinance violation, so how could they ask for identification if they suspect you're drunk. I don't think you're right, but let us know how it goes...
    We ask for identification but you are not required to provide it. It is not even checked to see if it is suspended. We ask for a driver's license and regiustration at the same time. It's a divided attention test. Intoxicated drivers will focus on ONE or the other and will have to be reminded about the article they forgot. You hand me both and they get handed right back to you and you pull off.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I do believe, regardless of what the courts say, that it is pretty clearly a violation of the 4th. I also believe that drunk driving is a real problem and often has a cost we shouldn't suffer lightly. I just don't think this is the right way to go about it. I also want to limit my time around on-duty LEO as much as possible. As much as I respect them and the job they do I can't, based on a lot of things I have seen first hand and others through the media, feel safe in their presence.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Ah, that is exactly how I feel...but from the flip side.

It wasn't meant to be an insult. Just saying how I feel. A LEO has the power to make life absolutely miserable for you for little or no reason at all. The chance is extremely small but the miserable would not be. If you just happen to come across the wrong guy on the wrong day, you're could be screwed. So why would I want to be around them?

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    It wasn't meant to be an insult. Just saying how I feel. A LEO has the power to make life absolutely miserable for you for little or no reason at all. The chance is extremely small but the miserable would not be. If you just happen to come across the wrong guy on the wrong day, you're could be screwed. So why would I want to be around them?
    Not an insult but this mirrors my feeling regarding strangers. While a citizen cannot arrest me, filling BS lawsuits against me in Federal Court is extremely frustrating, BS IA complaints are similar. If I avoid contact with strangers while working I lessen the chance I either get assaulted, sued, or complained on.

Top Bottom