• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Should Sobriety Checkpoints be commonplace?

• Total voters

Shadow8088

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    simply put.. i don't equate a DUI checkpoint with infringement of my 4th amendment rights.. stopping me, pulling me from the car and rifling through my pockets and then my car? different story.. the word "unreasonable" is open to interpretation... what you find unreasonable, others don't... and vice versa... stop-and-frisk crap that goes on in NY? complete infringement.. hopefully that BS gets shut down soon...

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    simply put.. i don't equate a DUI checkpoint with infringement of my 4th amendment rights.. stopping me, pulling me from the car and rifling through my pockets and then my car? different story.. the word "unreasonable" is open to interpretation... what you find unreasonable, others don't... and vice versa... stop-and-frisk crap that goes on in NY? complete infringement.. hopefully that BS gets shut down soon...

How do you figure? 'Because you are there' is not a reasonable suspicion of anything that would justify stopping anyone. If they don't have a specific reason to stop a specific person, they need to go **** up a rope.

Bang-bang

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Indy/Homeplace/Carmel
    The check points are a stop and frisk. Don't think the officer is going to be fun either. A happy check point is NOT part of their plan. Need lawyers at each point, like it's a crash scene. Turn on your camera !!! and get extra points with a happy camper!!

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Markland and Courtland seems to be their favorite spot to set up. You can easily avoid it. Simply turn before the checkpoint. There's no law stating you have to go through.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Markland and Courtland seems to be their favorite spot to set up. You can easily avoid it. Simply turn before the checkpoint. There's no law stating you have to go through.

By the CVS and the laundry? Yeah, I go that way every day on the way home from the shop.
    They had one (that I bypassed) at Alto and Dixon a few years back.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis

I remember seeing a story a while back about a town that had outlawed sobriety checkpoints so the police put out signs saying 'checkpoint ahead' with there not actually being one. Then when cars would turn off or turn around to avoid the non existent checkpoint the police pulled them over claiming that action itself was probable cause.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I would find these checkpoints to be more tolerable if they handed out prizes if you passed their test. You know, a Meijer gift card, gas cards, $1 off Big Macs, packages of bacon... Just a little something for our time being stolen and our rights being stomped on. I don't think that's too much to ask.:dunno: Maybe some kind of game show where the sober drivers compete against the drunks they have caught in mental and physical challenges. If the drunks win, they get their sentence reduced, no, better yet, if the drunk wins, sober guy has to give him a ride home. If the sober guy wins, he gets the drunks vehicle, and contents.

I could point them in the direction of a dozen bars, in St. Joe Co. alone, that they could set up within a 1/4 mile of, that would net them way more obviously drunk drivers than any sobriety checkpoint will ever catch.

dirtfarmerz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2010
    Henry County
    But where will it stop? Why not have everyone blow into a breathalyzer ala 40 year old virgin, to be able to startup their vehicle?

Another step towards letting the gov be responsible, and not the individual.

Drunk drivers should be stopped by making the punishment so severe that it makes the crime less of an occurrence. Checkpoints are not the answer. The highlighted portion of Double T's comment is the point. It won't stop. We see these types of events more and more. These actions alone don't seem so bad, but our freedom is eroding a little at a time and we are accepting it.

What actions will be allowed when Obamacare comes around? Forced immunizations or home inspections for food violations? We are being conditioned to accept an overbearing government. It won't stop. They have plans for us...

Last edited:

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    HOBART, IN -- The Hobart Police Department set up a roadblock on a main road which forced all drivers into the parking lot of a private business, where they were questioned, ID'ed, and searched with dogs.

Drivers were prevented from traveling freely down a public road, and forced by government agents to prove their innocence. Without any probable cause whatsoever, everyone was stopped, had flashlights shined in their faces and in their cars, had their papers checked.

[video=youtube;wzoFrEyI6XY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzoFrEyI6XY[/video]

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    If sobriety checkpoints, are okay, and probable cause is driving at an hour when more drunks are out, or near bars where more drunks are. Then why is there no probable cause to random drive by checkpoints in the hood? " excuse me sir, are you planning on pulling a drive by?" Or near pawn shops, where there is a "higher chance" that gun would be used for violence.
    Also, why not have checkpoints for tobacco outside any place of business? I mean gosh you might go in there and light up and give someone cancer.
    On a side note I also wonder how many people have had to be somewhere asap and these checkpoints caused a death, you know, grannies in the car, possibly having a heart attack, your taking to the hospital and low and behold you have to WAIT, you do thinking you can save a life. Well only if you trade your grannies life.
    Yes the above hypothetical situation is a metaphor for trading something you love and care about(rights) for saving a life, or(security).
    I also agree with Kirk on putting them in the neighborhoods of judges and such. The bassackwardness needs to stop.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Drivers were prevented from traveling freely down a public road, and forced by government agents to prove their innocence. Without any probable cause whatsoever, everyone was stopped, had flashlights shined in their faces and in their cars, had their papers checked.

FYI, that's more nonsense. If you don't want to go through the checkpoint simply turn off before it.

Still, I'd love to see the General Assembly pass the Freeman Law, quickest way to have roadblocks ruled unconstitutional.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    FYI, that's more nonsense. If you don't want to go through the checkpoint simply turn off before it.

Still, I'd love to see the General Assembly pass the Freeman Law, quickest way to have roadblocks ruled unconstitutional.

Avoiding a roadblock is probable cause for drunk driving.

Top Bottom