So you're going to your first 1500? Read this!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    So you have decided to go to your first indy 1500. Congradulations! The 1500 is probably thhe biggest and best show here in the midwest.

A few tips and tricks:

Budget a LOT of time for this show. I have a tendancy to walk the tables at a decent pace, and counting stopping half way through for a bite to eat, it takes me 4 to 5 hours. I like to check stuff out, even if it has no interest to my list of desirables for the show. You can learn a LOT about firearms just checking everyhting out. Last time I went, I got to check out a 20MM Lahti, which is a rare gun to see in real life. A high point of that show!

Be patient! You are going to be crammed in with about 5 gazillion other people! This is the only place in the world that has a line to get into the mens room! You will wait in line to get in, you will wait in line to pee, you will wait in line to check out vendors, and you will certainly wait in line to grab a bite to eat.

Know your prices! There are a wide range of deals to be had at the 1500. Some of them are great, some of them suck balls. Caveat Emptor.

Do not waffle! I cannot count the number of times I have been looking for something, seen a decent price at a table, and said that I would come back to this table if I could not find a better price. 1 of 2 things happens when you do this: Either the item has been sold by the time you return, or you end up not being able to find the table when you go back!:D

Once you find what you are looking for, stop looking for that item! Because sure as the sun rises, you will find it an hour later for a little less, and it will just make you mad;)

Secure your vehicle! The 1500 is in a poor area of town. Do not leave anything of value in your car, especially if you cant stash it out of sight. Park on the fairground parking areas. Parking in the fairgrounds makes your stuff marginally safer.

Cash is king! I like to take a nice bankroll of cash, ( and have a CC as backup:D). There are cash machines in the building, but you will be paying a hefty fee, and the machine may be out of cash if you are particularly unlucky.

Do not be afraid to negotiate! If I find something I want, i will almost always ask if that is the best price they can give me. If it is over 50 bucks ar so, I will also add in that I have cash. Sometimes you can get a good percentage off just by asking.

Bring a small pack. There is always one of us in our group that brings a small backpack. It is incredibly handy for all of the little things you will pick up that you didn't even know you wanted!

Do not be afraid to check out people that are carrying guns. Many people bring in guns to sell or trade, and there can be some SMOKING deals to be had from these folks. Be polite and respectful, and do not be afraid to haggle with them.

Do not, under any circumstances, attempt to circumvent the law. If some person offers you firearms that you know are not legal to abtain without proper governmant paperwork, WALK AWAY. Every now and agin you hear stories of people being approached by folks who are offering deals too good to be true, of NFA items "under the radar". The probability of these people being law enforcement is high. Does this happen a lot? who knows, but it IS something you need to be aware of.

Last and not least, Enjoy yourself! I tend to tune out all the negatives of a show this big. You will encounter people blocking rows justso they can **** chat, people who absolutely stink, tables that sell nothing gun related on the, These are all part of the experience.

Anyone else have anyhting to add?

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Do's and Do not's:

1: Do not buy several cases of ammo first and then carry it around during the show.

2: Unload your guns with do care.

3: Remeber something to cut the wire tie's off the pistols and rifles you bring out.

4: Remain calm cool and collected with others,

5: If you have to touch the 15, 000 dollars elephant gun ASK the vendor first.

6: Barter and trade: As good as buying.

I am sure others will chime in.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I've never made it to a 1500...gonna have to make it someday, but that part about large crowds gives me the heebee-geebees.:eek:

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    I've never made it to a 1500...gonna have to make it someday, but that part about large crowds gives me the heebee-geebees.:eek:

Me too. I keep vascilating on whether to go or not:
    Possible Pros:
    - Get to meet INGO members
    - Get to see cool guns
    Possible Cons:
    - Get to only SEE but not buy cool guns

This weekend it's either
    1) Go to the 1500 or
    2) Take the youngest daughter fishing.

I'm thinking 2.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Good Tips!

Also Do know that there will be a table full of police officers just inside the entrance who will ask you to unload and hand them any firearms you have with you. It is the policy of this gunshow that no loaded firearms are allowed in the building and no loaded magazines or clips either. The officers will verify that the firearm is unloaded and place an orange zip tie through an operative part, rendering it unloadable while the tie is in place. They will then hand the firearms back to you.

Do eject any mags and inspect the chamber before handing the unloaded firearms to the officers.

Do keep the muzzle in a safe direction especially while unloading, clearing or handing it to them to be zip tied or when they are handing the firearms back to you. I unload and reload outside the building with my muzzle pointed down into a strip of grass, usually off to the side, near the entrance between the building and the sidewalk.

This sounds stupidly obvious, but it is my understanding that the officers working the table get loaded guns pointed at them from time to time and that is not cool.

Also, do support ingo advertisers. It's a great chance to put a face to the names you see on here.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    A few tips and tricks:Anyone else have anyhting to add?

My version goes like this .

So you've never been to the 1500 , get ready to see and smell things you ain't never seen before .

It is true the 1500 is held in a poor part of the city (read GHETTO) .

Most of the time you have to pay to park (although I understand this time you don't ) , which would seem to imply some type of security is provided .

Wrong , WRONG ! Be prepared for your vehicle being broken into whenever you return to it . It has happened .

Depending on the time of day you get there you will wait in line to get in . Get used to it cause there's a lot of waiting at this show .

Once You've arrived at the doors be prepared to pay out the ass so bend over (colonoscopy lately ? ) for admission .

Once you've got your ticket you'll move up to the doors and be met by some friendly Representatives of the local Gestapo division .

After carefully inspecting your belongings they'll check to " zee if you've zigned ZEE PAPERS " (or they'll check to see if you have a ticket) .

Then they'll inquire as to whether or not you have a firearm . If you do you'll be proned out with a knee on your neck as they take your weapon .

Or they'll make you unload it so they can place a zip tie through the action "insuring" that it will not fire .

Pay it no mind as I assure you at least one JACKASS will find a way to have a negligent discharge . It has happened .

Now you're finally in the door . Just one look and you'll be mesmerized thinking you've died and gone to "gun heaven" .

You'll be hypnotized by what you think is a staggering amount of guns and accessories .

You take a minute to take it all in and form a plan of how to best negotiate the isles .

At this point you won't realize that the vendors have moved their tables out so they can have more room by squeezing the isles closer together .

As you begin to make your first pass around the perimeter tables you'll catch a faint wiff of something weirdly familiar but you'll pay it no mind for now .

This is where you'll be screwing up but we'll get back to this .

Now you have a few laps under your belt so now you'll feel confident enough to try the middle isles , GOOD LUCK , NOOB !

Here's where the real fun begins . How do you feel about man on man contact ? I'm talking so close you're making your neighbor smile .

Correct answer : It doesn't matter how you feel about it ! NEW FISH !

AWRIGHT , AWRIGHT , AWRIGHT ! YOU GONNA LEARN TODAY !

So while your browsing your trying to get used to the new meaning of " interpersonal relationships " and still remain focused on finding that ever illusive " deal " .

By this time it's mid day and you've been rubbed on , sweated on and possibly fondled by every three toothed hillbilly that ever crawled out of the holler and your feeling nauseated , like your gonna throw up . ( remember that faint whiff ? )

Here comes the realization that the smell is more than just " weirdly familiar " , it's ASS !

Not only that but it's a combination of farm animal and week old un washed ass ! By the time you have this Epiphany it'll be too late , you've already been infected .

Only thing you can do now is rub some Hoppe's number 9 on your upper lip and try not to think about it .

You'll think a bite to eat may help so you fight your way over to the "food court" .

Ah yes the food court , " land of the brave " indeed .

While waiting in line you'll notice the hay that wasn't swept up from the animal show the day before . Pay it no mind it just adds to the "ambiance" .

When you finally get your turn be ready for the $5.00 bottled water and the $5.00 " soy bean " (or so they say) cheese burger and a whole cornucopia of never should've been deep fried things that would make a maggot puke .

By this time it's mid afternoon and you think you've regained enough strength to head back into the fray to resume your search for "the deal" . (it's kinda like Bigfoot , lot's of folks claim they've seen it but no concrete evidence of one though) .

Remember to re apply the Hoppe's to your upper lip or you'll be sorry . By this time the putrid stench of swampass will be so strong it'll permeate everything you have on .

Now with a semi clear head you try to head back to the table you passed up this morning (thinking you'd find a better price) you'll be stuck in traffic . Much worse than anything you've seen around the track in May .

Every three toothed hillbilly will stop to finger**** the six gun that his favorite cowboy hero wore in the movies , OR (a fairly recent development) OG triple OG is lookin fo a clip fo his cwome glock fo tay .

Either way get comfortable .

While your stuck waiting on billybobjoebob to finish bustin one out over the gun he'll never be able to afford you'll notice you've been HOODWINKED !

"Guns and accessories " , sure there are some but more than that is the flea market type crap tables just to fill the space .

Everything from the two for $20.00 "ninja knives" , cowboy crap , the homemade "Indian" blankets and beads , to all manner of Nazi memorabilia .

Still can't figure that one out but apparently there's a market for said Nazi crap in "da hood" , go figure .

So now you're moving again , disgusted and disillusioned but you'll be damned if your leaving without something gun related .

It's late in the day and you've finally arrived at the table only to find the "deal" that was there is now gone . :xmad: GRRRR !!!!!!!!

At this point you've had all you can take so your like **** IT ! I'll take that $60.00 , dust covered , 10 rnd factory mag and make your way back to the door .

You make your way back to your car and you're in luck , your vehicle wasn't one that was brokin into today .

On your way home you're doing the math on the amount of money you've spent versus buying online , and trying desperately to rationalize it by thinking " hey it was a fun , new experience " .

Keep thinking that , new fish !

Just wait and see what fun you'll have getting that " funk " out of your clothes and off your skin .

:welcome: to the 1500 .

If you like people watching at the zoo it's awesome .

If you want a deal get online and have it shipped to your door .

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Despite the parking FUBAR, (or maybe because of it), today's show was really easy to navigate (not too crowded for opening Friday). Maybe it helped that I was only there until 4:00 or so, so that it hadn't gotten too "ripe" yet. :):

doublesharp

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Clark County
    And it is a way to pass the time until Sept 22/23 when the National Gun Day show is in Louisville. NGD is considered by most to be the 2nd best gun show in the USA with the Tulsa Wannamacher show the grand daddy of them all. I've made some good buys at Indy but there's no comparison between the nasty old Indy fairgrounds and the new and modern South wing C at Kentucky Fairgrounds.

I like the Natl Guard Armory shows that Tom and Karen Allman put on about as good as any Indiana shows.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    So you have decided to go to your first indy 1500. Congradulations! The 1500 is probably thhe biggest and best show here in the midwest.

A few tips and tricks:

Budget a LOT of time for this show. I have a tendancy to walk the tables at a decent pace, and counting stopping half way through for a bite to eat, it takes me 4 to 5 hours. I like to check stuff out, even if it has no interest to my list of desirables for the show. You can learn a LOT about firearms just checking everyhting out. Last time I went, I got to check out a 20MM Lahti, which is a rare gun to see in real life. A high point of that show!

Be patient! You are going to be crammed in with about 5 gazillion other people! This is the only place in the world that has a line to get into the mens room! You will wait in line to get in, you will wait in line to pee, you will wait in line to check out vendors, and you will certainly wait in line to grab a bite to eat.

Know your prices! There are a wide range of deals to be had at the 1500. Some of them are great, some of them suck balls. Caveat Emptor.

Do not waffle! I cannot count the number of times I have been looking for something, seen a decent price at a table, and said that I would come back to this table if I could not find a better price. 1 of 2 things happens when you do this: Either the item has been sold by the time you return, or you end up not being able to find the table when you go back!:D

Once you find what you are looking for, stop looking for that item! Because sure as the sun rises, you will find it an hour later for a little less, and it will just make you mad;)

Secure your vehicle! The 1500 is in a poor area of town. Do not leave anything of value in your car, especially if you cant stash it out of sight. Park on the fairground parking areas. Parking in the fairgrounds makes your stuff marginally safer.

Cash is king! I like to take a nice bankroll of cash, ( and have a CC as backup:D). There are cash machines in the building, but you will be paying a hefty fee, and the machine may be out of cash if you are particularly unlucky.

Do not be afraid to negotiate! If I find something I want, i will almost always ask if that is the best price they can give me. If it is over 50 bucks ar so, I will also add in that I have cash. Sometimes you can get a good percentage off just by asking.

Bring a small pack. There is always one of us in our group that brings a small backpack. It is incredibly handy for all of the little things you will pick up that you didn't even know you wanted!

Do not be afraid to check out people that are carrying guns. Many people bring in guns to sell or trade, and there can be some SMOKING deals to be had from these folks. Be polite and respectful, and do not be afraid to haggle with them.

Do not, under any circumstances, attempt to circumvent the law. If some person offers you firearms that you know are not legal to abtain without proper governmant paperwork, WALK AWAY. Every now and agin you hear stories of people being approached by folks who are offering deals too good to be true, of NFA items "under the radar". The probability of these people being law enforcement is high. Does this happen a lot? who knows, but it IS something you need to be aware of.

Last and not least, Enjoy yourself! I tend to tune out all the negatives of a show this big. You will encounter people blocking rows justso they can **** chat, people who absolutely stink, tables that sell nothing gun related on the, These are all part of the experience.

Anyone else have anyhting to add?

I think you pretty much covered it!
    I might add, while you are negotiating, make sure you and the other party are in agreement whether you need to add tax, or if the price is OTD. (per another thread!)

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Me too. I keep vascilating on whether to go or not:
    Possible Pros:
    - Get to see cool guns
    Possible Cons:
    - Get to only SEE but not buy cool guns

This weekend it's either
    1) Go to the 1500 or
    2) Take the youngest daughter fishing.

I'm thinking 2.

That's an easy one man! They are only young once, and she may not want to go fishing once she's 13 or so! And believe me, that will be sooner than you can imagine!
    Old guys, am I right?

Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    And it is a way to pass the time until Sept 22/23 when the National Gun Day show is in Louisville. NGD is considered by most to be the 2nd best gun show in the USA with the Tulsa Wannamacher show the grand daddy of them all. I've made some good buys at Indy but there's no comparison between the nasty old Indy fairgrounds and the new and modern South wing C at Kentucky Fairgrounds.

I like the Natl Guard Armory shows that Tom and Karen Allman put on about as good as any Indiana shows.

Period.

HalfCocked

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I was there today and your description is dead on correct. The only miss was my car wasn't broken in to, but that maybe because it was parked too far away even for the thugs.

EOD Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Carroll County
    I went to the 1500 for my first time on Friday. The line was starting to make its second wrap around the building so I turned around and left...just didn't have time to stand around yesterday.

...maybe next time.

ctb1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    That's an easy one man! They are only young once, and she may not want to go fishing once she's 13 or so! And believe me, that will be sooner than you can imagine!
    Old guys, am I right?

Dead on Dirtebiker! When you look back it goes SO fast. Don't miss it.

nox

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    TX->IL->IN->MO->IN

So you've never been to the 1500 , get ready to see and smell things you ain't never seen before .

Most of the time you have to pay to park (although I understand this time you don't ) , which would seem to imply some type of security is provided .

Wrong , WRONG ! Be prepared for your vehicle being broken into whenever you return to it . It has happened .

Depending on the time of day you get there you will wait in line to get in . Get used to it cause there's a lot of waiting at this show .

Once You've arrived at the doors be prepared to pay out the ass so bend over (colonoscopy lately ? ) for admission .

Once you've got your ticket you'll move up to the doors and be met by some friendly Representatives of the local Gestapo division .

After carefully inspecting your belongings they'll check to " zee if you've zigned ZEE PAPERS " (or they'll check to see if you have a ticket) .

Then they'll inquire as to whether or not you have a firearm . If you do you'll be proned out with a knee on your neck as they take your weapon .

Or they'll make you unload it so they can place a zip tie through the action "insuring" that it will not fire .

Pay it no mind as I assure you at least one JACKASS will find a way to have a negligent discharge . It has happened .

Now you're finally in the door . Just one look and you'll be mesmerized thinking you've died and gone to "gun heaven" .

You'll be hypnotized by what you think is a staggering amount of guns and accessories .

You take a minute to take it all in and form a plan of how to best negotiate the isles .

At this point you won't realize that the vendors have moved their tables out so they can have more room by squeezing the isles closer together .

As you begin to make your first pass around the perimeter tables you'll catch a faint wiff of something weirdly familiar but you'll pay it no mind for now .

Now you have a few laps under your belt so now you'll feel confident enough to try the middle isles , GOOD LUCK , NOOB !

Here's where the real fun begins . How do you feel about man on man contact ? I'm talking so close you're making your neighbor smile .

So while your browsing your trying to get used to the new meaning of " interpersonal relationships " and still remain focused on finding that ever illusive " deal " .

By this time it's mid day and you've been rubbed on , sweated on and possibly fondled by every three toothed hillbilly that ever crawled out of the holler and your feeling nauseated , like your gonna throw up . ( remember that faint whiff ? )

Here comes the realization that the smell is more than just " weirdly familiar " , it's ASS !

Not only that but it's a combination of farm animal and week old un washed ass ! By the time you have this Epiphany it'll be too late , you've already been infected .

Only thing you can do now is rub some Hoppe's number 9 on your upper lip and try not to think about it .

You'll think a bite to eat may help so you fight your way over to the "food court" .

While waiting in line you'll notice the hay that wasn't swept up from the animal show the day before . Pay it no mind it just adds to the "ambiance" .

When you finally get your turn be ready for the $5.00 bottled water and the $5.00 " soy bean " (or so they say) cheese burger and a whole cornucopia of never should've been deep fried things that would make a maggot puke .

By this time it's mid afternoon and you think you've regained enough strength to head back into the fray to resume your search for "the deal" . (it's kinda like Bigfoot , lot's of folks claim they've seen it but no concrete evidence of one though) .

Remember to re apply the Hoppe's to your upper lip or you'll be sorry . By this time the putrid stench of swampass will be so strong it'll permeate everything you have on .

Now with a semi clear head you try to head back to the table you passed up this morning (thinking you'd find a better price) you'll be stuck in traffic . Much worse than anything you've seen around the track in May .

Every three toothed hillbilly will stop to finger**** the six gun that his favorite cowboy hero wore in the movies , OR (a fairly recent development) OG triple OG is lookin fo a clip fo his cwome glock fo tay .

While your stuck waiting on billybobjoebob to finish bustin one out over the gun he'll never be able to afford you'll notice you've been HOODWINKED !

"Guns and accessories " , sure there are some but more than that is the flea market type crap tables just to fill the space .

Everything from the two for $20.00 "ninja knives" , cowboy crap , the homemade "Indian" blankets and beads , to all manner of Nazi memorabilia .

Still can't figure that one out but apparently there's a market for said Nazi crap in "da hood" , go figure .

So now you're moving again , disgusted and disillusioned but you'll be damned if your leaving without something gun related .

It's late in the day and you've finally arrived at the table only to find the "deal" that was there is now gone . :xmad: GRRRR !!!!!!!!

At this point you've had all you can take so your like **** IT ! I'll take that $60.00 , dust covered , 10 rnd factory mag and make your way back to the door .

You make your way back to your car and you're in luck , your vehicle wasn't one that was brokin into today .

On your way home you're doing the math on the amount of money you've spent versus buying online , and trying desperately to rationalize it by thinking " hey it was a fun , new experience " .

Just wait and see what fun you'll have getting that " funk " out of your clothes and off your skin .

100% .

Mackey - definitely opt for fishing.

Landon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Henryville
    I went to my first 1500 today. I didn't think it was all that bad. Might of had to wait in a 10 minute line to get in the door, but not much anywhere else. I did go to the bathroom and there was no line to wait, I got a bottle of water and there was maybe 5 people infront of me. After reading this thread I expected the whole place to be completely packed and I would even be able to move around, it wasn't that bad. I covered the whole show in about 2 hours, but I knew what I was looking for and didn't care to waste time looking at anything I had no interest in. I sure didn't find any great deal on what I was looking for. Actually found a couple used that were priced higher then you can buy a new one.

I walked away with an INGO shirt and thats about it.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport

2AD, LMAO you nailed it. You oughta write for Lenno cause that is FUNNY!! !! :rockwoot:

Top Bottom