so this is what a $3000 AR-15 looks like...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    My question is, When does it become an over kill?

here's a few good ways of telling:

1) If you use an optic that costs as much or more than a big brand hand gun or rifle and you're not LEO, military, etc

2) If you use your AR-15 for "home defense", it's probably over kill...especially when you live in an apartment or urban housing situation.

3) If you have a rail with more than a bipod connected to it.

debating whether or not this should be in purple. :): and as a matter of disclosure my AR is overkill, but I <3 my ACOG.

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I saw the original post and thought "boy, I must not be an AR kinda guy because that gun does nothing for me especially at that ridiculous price." I was glad to find that I was not alone in my sentiments by many posts that followed.

$3000? I have much better things to spend that on.

Terry

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    If you shopped for all of those parts at Brownells, your bill would be over $2700. Just for the parts.

Even if you didn't do all the parts on the list, you're still over $2,000 starting with a decent basic rifle and adding the major parts.

• Stag Model 2 - $800
    • DD Lite Rail - $320
    • VLTOR Stock - $170
    • MIAD Grip - $ 35
    • Aimpoint T1/LaRue Mount- $645
    • Surefire X300 - $250
    • Total $2180

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    here's a few good ways of telling:

1) If you use an optic that costs as much or more than a big brand hand gun or rifle and you're not LEO, military, etc

2) If you use your AR-15 for "home defense", it's probably over kill...especially when you live in an apartment or urban housing situation.

3) If you have a rail with more than a bipod connected to it.

debating whether or not this should be in purple. :): and as a matter of disclosure my AR is overkill, but I <3 my ACOG.

Based on #1, I'm already overkill then. And I've only had the dern thing a little over a month now!

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    If you shopped for all of those parts at Brownells, your bill would be over $2700. Just for the parts.

Even if you didn't do all the parts on the list, you're still over $2,000 starting with a decent basic rifle and adding the major parts.

• Stag Model 2 - $800
    • DD Lite Rail - $320
    • VLTOR Stock - $170
    • MIAD Grip - $ 35
    • Surefire X300 - $250
    • Total $2180

Yeah but wouldn't it be a lot more fun to assemble those parts 'used' off of classifieds and ebay to see who could get it all and save the most money? We know the list is 2999 who could get the same thing spending the least amount of money?

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

• Stag Model 2 - $800
    • DD Lite Rail - $320
    • VLTOR Stock - $170
    • MIAD Grip - $ 35
    • Surefire X300 - $250
    • Total $2180

True, but I would at the very least make sure they matched before the credit card came out.
    :):

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Yeah but wouldn't it be a lot more fun to assemble those parts 'used' off of classifieds and ebay to see who could get it all and save the most money? We know the list is 2999 who could get the same thing spending the least amount of money?

If that's what get's you out of bed in the morning, go for it. I thought the discussion was about the costs involved with a $3k carbine. What I was trying to point out is that a lot of bigger mods that a lot of people do end up costing quite a bit of money. If you're doing it one part at a time, it doesn't seem like so much. All it once, it does. But, it's all the same.

kedie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Southeast of disorder.
    So what would YOUR "signature series" AR-15 look like???

tacticoolAR15.jpg

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    What I was trying to point out is that a lot of bigger mods that a lot of people do end up costing quite a bit of money. If you're doing it one part at a time, it doesn't seem like so much. All it once, it does. But, it's all the same.

Excellent point.

That $3k price tag sure jumps out at you, especially when looking at a picture of the gun. But I'd bet a lot of guys would be very surprised if they added up the actual cost of building their rifles (to included any sales tax, shipping costs, etc).

I wish more people would tally it up for the noobs, so they can see what they're getting themselves into. I asked bigcraig once to give me a rough estimate of what he had in his "go-to" rifle. I think we decided he could stop counting when he hit the $4k mark. :D

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Larry Vickers is a genuine badass though.

Yep, he sure is... just ask him! ;)

Seriously though; I've never trained with or even met Mr. Vickers; those I know who have, give universally glowing reports. You gotta admit he comes off a bit douchey on that video, though.

But I'd bet a lot of guys would be very surprised if they added up the actual cost of building their rifles (to included any sales tax, shipping costs, etc).

Dude. You NEVER do the math!!

"What'd that rifle cost you?"

"$200 at a time." :)

Last edited:
    Top Bottom