so this is what a $3000 AR-15 looks like...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Man, slap an instructor's name on it, add cost. Makes no sense. I have a pair of Vicker's Gloves, they are really nice, but not the 80 or so dollars sort of nice (got them when they came out, plus they are the gauntlet style ones). I guess when you have to cover overhead for producing things that civies have little use for (such as a Vicker's sling for the M249, like every person on earth has one of those...), then you have to go big on price... :(

Marketing is important. The folks that would have money for that rifle are probably richy types that would not know Vickers from Charlie Chan. They just see dollar signs and think more expensive is better.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    So what would YOUR "signature series" AR-15 look like???

AR-15A1

I really don't see the advantage in taking a lightweight, fast handling, accurate, easy to carry, easy to transport rifle and making it weigh twice as much as much as it needs to, with sharp edges everywhere, with all kinds of do dads to snag on things while you are trying to carry it.

Maybe a red dot, if that is your thing, but frankly it's as tough, durable, effective and simple as a fighting gun ever needs to be as is.

Heck, I'd even get rid of the forward assist. Never needed it in a decade of carrying the old M16s on daily duty, training, and even taking it to war. The SP1 version is still the one I wish I could build someday.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Ewwww...... looks like someone tried to build a AR out of take offs or leftovers.

Take a can of flat black to it and I'll buy it for $1000.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Not just sharp edges. All those guns are just full of cool places to collect dirt, mud, dust, moisture. Fine and dandy for couch commandos, but a PIA in the field, IMHO.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Not just sharp edges. All those guns are just full of cool places to collect dirt, mud, dust, moisture. Fine and dandy for couch commandos

Like all the "couch commandos" in the US military who are currently using such rifles in hot/dirty/nasty corners of the world? :dunno:

The modern service rifle might require a bit more cleaning and maintenance than rifles of years past, but the modern fighting man (or woman) will deal with it in order to reap the attendant benefits that come with all those sharp edges and doodads. ;)

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    What is a good price to pay for an AR 15 build and what features should be included? What is it about this one that causes the price to be so high?

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    What is it about this one that causes the price to be so high?

It includes an Aimpoint Micro, Surefire X300, and Larry Vickers' signature. :laugh:

Seriously though, here's a list of the "premium components," per DD's website:

* Daniel Defense M4A1 FSP RIS II
    * Daniel Defense 16″ Lightweight Carbine CHF Barrel
    * Daniel Defense Rail Mount QD Swivel Attachment Point
    * Surefire Flash Suppressor
    * Surefire X300 Flashlight
    * Daniel Defense ConVert Grip™ in Flat Dark Earth
    * Aimpoint Micro T-1 aiming system
    * Daniel Defense Aimpoint Micro Mount
    * Daniel Defense A1.5 Fixed Rear Sight
    * Magpul MIAD Pistol Grip
    * Magpul MOE® Trigger Guard
    * BCMGUNFIGHTER Charging Handle w/ Mod 5 (Small) Latch
    * Daniel Defense Rear Receiver QD Swivel Attachment Point
    * VLTOR IMod Buttstock
    * Blue Force Gear Vickers Combat Applications Sling™

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Interestingly, the "esrice Signature Series" uses several of the same components as the Vickers, only costs a bit over $2500 (for now), looks way better, and includes the added versatility of a .22LR conversion kit. ;)

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...aster_m4_build-in-progress-5.html#post1292896

2wfs1nd.jpg

woundedyak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    SouthSide
    Okay, I have a question! I'm not that knowledgeable on AR'S. It seems to me you can build a very respectable AR for less then 2k plus or minus scope. My question is, When does it become an over kill? Which part or parts will you not see the value on by spending the extra money. IMO, if I was to spend 3k on a "tactical" rifle out of the box, I would go with
    something along the lines of a POF P308 or P415

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Okay, I have a question! I'm not that knowledgeable on AR'S. It seems to me you can build a very respectable AR for less then 2k plus or minus scope. My question is, When does it become an over kill? Which part or parts will you not see the value on by spending the extra money. IMO, if I was to spend 3k on a "tactical" rifle out of the box, I would go with
    something along the lines of a POF P308 or P415

This is a S&W MP15 w/Magpul crap all over it and an Eotech XPS sitting on top, I don't remember what it final cost was but I am pretty sure it was under 2K total.

MP15MOE.jpg

Parts list break down:

S&W MP15
    Magpul MOE BUIS
    Magpul MOE handguard
    Magpul MOE vertical foregrip
    Magpul MOE stock
    Magpul MOE pistol grip
    Magpul ASAP receiver end plate/sling attachment
    Magpul MS2 sling
    Magpul PMAG
    Eotech XPS

Last edited:

xring62

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    Henry county
    Not worth that price for the 'look' . Does it make it any more accurate? NO! I can put one together like that for half that price. Les Baer AR's are not not worth it either lots of hype in all those types. I could never buy an AR already together even a basic one where I can do it myself and save 2-300$

right2arms

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    why would you need an AR that accurate? hunting squirrels I can think of better rifles to have. hunting people you need something that still has lethality up to its accurate range.

LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    This is a S&W MP15 w/Magpul crap all over it and an Eotech XPS sitting on top, I don't remember what it final cost was but I am pretty sure it was under 2K total.

MP15MOE.jpg

Parts list break down:

S&W MP15
    Magpul MOE BUIS
    Magpul MOE handguard
    Magpul MOE vertical foregrip
    Magpul MOE stock
    Magpul MOE pistol grip
    Magpul ASAP receiver end plate/sling attachment
    Magpul MS2 sling
    Magpul PMAG
    Eotech XPS