So the drug addict 13 year old next door has a gun...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Max Volume

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    You ride the bus with these people so obviously go to school with them. The hamster in my head started turning, is this a case of them being schoolyard bullies and you just happen to be the target of their bullying? :dunno:

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    You ride the bus with these people so obviously go to school with them. The hamster in my head started turning, is this a case of them being schoolyard bullies and you just happen to be the target of their bullying? :dunno:
    Do they even have 'school yards' in high school these days?

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...

No, I ride thir bus to get on another bus to then be shuttled to another bus to go to my vocational school. The only real "contact" I have with the kid is maybe 20 minutes in the morning. He does his damage to other neighbors too but they don't do much about it.

brdhntr37

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    I would call the local police and see what they would recommend that you do. Some will actually work with you if it is a legit reason and especially if they have been convicted in the past

indyjs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Greenwood
    So because he is not 18, he is powerless to affect change? If you call 911 do they check and make sure you're 18 before they see what is wrong?

I never suggested that it was. You're telling him do not do anything where I'm simply saying that one needs to make an educated decision after weighing the outcomes. I'm not saying he should do something any more than I'm saying he shouldn't do something. You, on the other hand, are telling him what he should do.

Sure, and that is one option among many. Just because I said that he can do something doesn't mean it had to be what others here have suggested.

There are a lot of possible outcomes, and even possible negative consequences of doing nothing.

He has less than one year to turn turn 18. 18 years and one day he is no longer a guest and it is his job to MOVE OUT. Couch surf, roommate, or join the service. You parents want you to leave and live your life. That is his focus and only focus. Maybe he can room with you. Problem solved

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    He has less than one year to turn turn 18. 18 years and one day he is no longer a guest and it is his job to MOVE OUT. Couch surf, roommate, or join the service. You parents want you to leave and live your life. That is his focus and only focus. Maybe he can room with you. Problem solved
    You, sir... are brilliant.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Talk to a school counselor about it. With the way things are these days i think they would be pretty interested to hear about a 14 year old bragging about having a stolen handgun on the bus. May not result in a lot but who knows might have some effect.

Dobber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Granger (South Bend)
    Talk to a school counselor about it. With the way things are these days i think they would be pretty interested to hear about a 14 year old bragging about having a stolen handgun on the bus. May not result in a lot but who knows might have some effect.

This. Unlike several of those whoresponsed here: I've read the whole thread. I understand your predicament and the challenge that you face wanting to protect yourself and your family. I do honestly believe that much of your anger and frustration is due to your age BUT I think that's because you haven't become jaded to the concept of criminal activity like the rest of us. If you want to stand up for what is right and good, do it. Make sure you do it intelligently, though. A martyr can not repeat his wholesome deeds. You need to quietly go about undoing this situation without anyone ever knowing who you are or what your motives are. As a minor you are legally protected from the sharing of your personal information AND are not required to testify should charges ever be brought against the individual(s) in question.

That said, you should also think about the family that you could touch with your actions. Will the family, especially the children, be better off after this confrontation and see the the err of their ways or will the young boy be beaten for running his mouth on the bus? Maybe you could pick up some trash to avoid this scenario?

Obviously you have a lot to think about. Just remember to not be selfish and that each of us is impacted by each other's decisions whether it be our parents, children, neighbors, or otherwise. Everything you do will affect someone else.

-Dobber

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    Elaborate please. I'm the guy who doesn't let the druggies next door have their way with our property? I'm a real party pooper.

To MosinGuy,

You are catching a bit of heat on here but I want to convey that I believe most folks on here want the best for you and your family, so the comments and criticisms on here are meant only in a positive light.

The limitations of a forum or email or texting do not allow for a great deal of communication. We loose facial expressions, voice tone, and body language to mention just a few. So know that we all feel for your frustration.

As I see it you are in a state of a cold war, potentially. If, and I stress IF, all of your presumptions are correct then at best you have really :poop:y neighbors. At worst they are very dangerous criminals who are not afraid to escalate.

My concern is that you appear to be wanting to escalate a cold war into a hot war. This can be very dangerous for both sides. However, you may well with a good, stable, caring and loving family have more to loose than the McCoy's next door who are only concerned with how to make their next deal.

As I said before, if you start a war there is no way you get to control how it ends or even if it ends. Japan declared war on the United States on December the 7th, 1941 and look how it ended for them.

By your own admission you are tryng to go to war without ammunition, that being tangible proof that could be used in a court of law. Such proof beyond your reach as you have stated you "don't have an extra $600 sitting in your pocket." And even IF you had the money and spent it well doesn't mean you would get anything out of it. Criminals are very short sighted but they are clever and malicious. A guy with a mask and a paint gun can easily take out a camera he knows about without ever being able to prove who was wearing the mask.

The problem you are facing is that you have a dilemma and limited power to solve the dilemma. Perhaps your parents are better than you at reading the real nature of your neighbors and have decided that to protect themselves and their family they are taking the MYOB tack instead of escalating to what they percieve/know to be a very dangerous position.

Sometimes we all must face the reality that surrender is a better option than the others on the plate.

My godmother had drug dealing neighbors. For the most part in her situation they tried not to rock the boat as they wanted little attention drawn to their activities. Criminals know that attention brings Uncle LEO brings small rooms with lousy beds. Your neighbors may not, from your description, be so bright, which may make them all the more dangerous.

My only input here is to really step back and take your time to think about things. I mean months!!! Consider what they are doing and when they are doing it. Consider their personality and demeanor. Think about how dangerous a person could be who, with impunity, will poison animals and break into vehicles in open observation.

Seek input from local law enforcement about the best techniques to deal with these problem neighbors. Be prepaired for a lack of interest from LE. Not out of any malice on their parts, but LE has to prioritize what they are doing. Take heart that perhaps LE is already working against them undercover and may blow you off on the surface while under cover is moving to get rid of your problem without any help from you. You never know.

Here is a hypothetical: You start making all sorts of waves, some effective and others not so. Your neighbors to retaliate set your house on fire. They are caught and sent to jail. In the meantime some of your family may suffer serious wounds and loose irreplaceable family heirlooms. All for... Light bulbs, truck broken into, and the dog? You win the battle and the war but at what cost? How would you feel in that situation? Was poking the hornets nest worth the price?

Sometimes it is!!! Sometimes we need to say to hell with it and smack the hornets nest with a giant baseball bat and reap the whirlwind.

I just want you to find a place in your mind of absolute clarity of thought before grabbing the baseball bat.

Regards,

Doug

PS - Again, take all of this with the tone of someone trying to force thought and be helpful to your plight without talking you into or out of action or inaction.

^^^^^ he said everything i would have said

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    This post takes you two directions simultaneously. One to help you get advice and lower your stress. The other to help you learn and lower your stress.

You are still in school. Votech hs. I don't know if your votech has a police presence, but I will guess that there are LEO that visit periodically. Talk with one of them. This does not mean stop him/her in the hallway, be late to class, and dump everything on at once. This means talk with them about a time to really TALK. If you have a counselor, or a teacher, you trust, see if they can help you setup some time to talk with a LEO. You will need a place to sit down and have an honest discussion.

You will want to have everything written down. This does several things for you. First, it keeps everything straight. Second, as things change and you keep the handwritten notes updated, you are creating a record. third, this helps keep you from becoming emotional and bouncing from one topic to the next when discussing with LEO or anyone.

Lastly, things are hard out there. None of us are in exactly your shoes. I know I think of you and the one whose neighbor shoots into the air (and now the house) when my neighbors base wakes me up at night. But I can tell you that many of us have quite a base of experience. We have learned things the hard way. We are who we are based on our experiences. Your parents included.

As a teacher, I try to impart knowledge learned both educationally and through hard knocks to my students. How many of your classmates actually LISTEN to teachers (and/or their parents)?

Consider that when you argue with your parents about what to do. (not saying who is right/wrong/whatever). Stop and listen to them. REALLY listen to them. Have an honest, open discussion and ask them WHY they respond the way they do. Learn from them.

The supreme are of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting. -- Sun Tzu

Top Bottom